Think I've hurt my guinea pig

(8 Posts)
eatingtomuch Mon 24-Oct-16 18:58:09

I was cutting its nails which I have done lots of times before without issue. But today I have caught his skin and it has bleed a bit. Any advise would be welcome. Is there anything I need to do?

I won't be doing it again. Will contact vet and book an appointment in future. I feel awful.

incogKNEEto Mon 24-Oct-16 19:07:27

If it's still bleeding you can dip it in some cornflour to stop the bleeding. I'm not sure if you can use Savlon or Sudacrem on a GP sorry, hopefully someone a bit more knowledgable will come along.

eatingtomuch Mon 24-Oct-16 19:19:17

It's stopped bleeding. I've cleaned his cage and no sign of further blood. Think I just nicked him. He didn't make a sound and is walking fine. I just feel awful.

PikachuLovesHalloween Mon 24-Oct-16 19:20:15

When I had a guinea pig years ago, I cut her nails too short and caused a bleed. A styptic pencil stopped the bleeding and she was fine.

FishSauce555 Mon 24-Oct-16 19:22:00

Don't feel bad. These things happen. He'll be absolutely fine, I'd only take him to the vet if it bothers him or the Nick gets infected.

My bunny pulled her hind nail off... bit of blood but it grew back fine!

Mishaps Mon 24-Oct-16 19:26:27

I killed one of my children's guinea pigs once. One had already died from gastro-enteritis and vet told me to give the other one water via a syringe. Unfortunately I sent it down its windpipe by accident - cue much gurgling and one dead guinea pig - all with an audience of children. Gulp!

FernieB Mon 24-Oct-16 21:08:33

I've nicked my black clawed pig a couple of times when trimming claws. He wheeks but after a quick dip in cornflour and a cucumber bribe he's happy again. Don't worry about it. It's easily done with a black clawed wriggler.

eatingtomuch Mon 24-Oct-16 21:33:22

He seems fine. I've given him some cucumber. No more bleeding after initial nick. I just felt so guilty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now