Should I separate guinea pigs?

(3 Posts)
nancyclancy123 Tue 11-Oct-16 14:36:13

I have 2 male guinea pigs who are 17 months old, they have always lived together in a roomy hutch with access to the grass.

I have never seen them fighting and there is no evidence of them fighting either, no bite marks, blood, tufts of fur etc but one is really big and chunky and the other is a skinny little thing, so I'm wondering if something is going on.
Today I brought the skinny one in and checked him over and apart from being thin, he was quite happy. I popped him in the indoor cage as I'm going to bring them in now for the winter, but I'm now wondering if I should separate them for a bit and see if he picks up without chunky in the same cage?
Just worried about them missing each other, not sure what to do? Or do I bring them both inside and keep an eye on them both??

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 12-Oct-16 21:01:16

No! Don't seperate a good boar pair.
If one is thinner there's a reason, might be a greedy cage mate but providing they're not being bullied you can improve his chances of eating by doing little piles of treats, a couple of hay cookies, a sweetcorn cob.
It would make sharing easier.

Has he always been slimmer? Might be worth a check up at the vets, could be his teeth?
But keep them together if they play nice smile

DontSweatTheSmallStuff Wed 12-Oct-16 21:30:53

No don't separate an established pair of they get on OK. You can keep an eye on them inside. Start weighing him if possible, if he's losing weight get advice from a vet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now