Hamster advice

(8 Posts)
EdmundSlackbladder Tue 04-Oct-16 21:30:37

So these are our hamsters. They were about the same size when we first bought them but now the pale one has grown really big and chubby while the darker one is small and kind of scrawny. Big one is very active and busy, little one spends most of her time in her nest, she's a little bad tempered when getting her out of it but friendly as can be when you get her out and about. I guess I'm just a bit worried that littler hamster might not be thriving. Any advice?

froglou Wed 05-Oct-16 14:34:40

Are they both defiantly females? Males tend to be chunkier.
Maybe try two food bowls if you think they're not getting equal amounts,but they an just be different body shapes. Some are very round and chunky and some just aren't! They're also probably slightly different breeds of Russian/winter whites which is why they're also different colourings.
They can be territorial that goes away over time and as they get older, although they are in heat once a week so will be grumpy regularly!
As long as they're not fighting at all and the smaller one isn't underweight then I wouldn't worry too much.

EdmundSlackbladder Wed 05-Oct-16 20:11:15

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on them.

EdmundSlackbladder Wed 05-Oct-16 20:11:40

Cute hamster pic grin

Wolfiefan Wed 05-Oct-16 20:14:16

Are you keeping them together? Hoping one isn't pg!

EdmundSlackbladder Wed 05-Oct-16 20:14:39

And good god, I hope they're both females. The supplier said they only stock females.

EdmundSlackbladder Wed 05-Oct-16 20:16:11

Yes, they're both together. Bought from the same store as a pair. The little one seems perfectly happy and friendly when she's out, but just seems to spend most of her time in the nest bit.

StarryIllusion Sun 30-Oct-16 14:12:23

I don't think they are the same breed tbh. One is a winter white but the other looks more like a campbells russian. You'd know if one was a boy, their balls are as big as their heads. Perhaps take little one out every day and stick in a box with her own bowl of food so she is definitely getting enough to eat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now