Indoor housing for Guinea pigs?

(4 Posts)
tryhard Wed 28-Sep-16 11:24:09

I've posted about getting an eglu, which I think is probably a bad idea for the winter but I don't know what to put them in if we kept them inside & where in the house to keep them?

If you keep your piggies inside, what do you keep them in @ where in the house do you keep them? Do they roam about the house?

OddBoots Wed 28-Sep-16 11:30:54

We have had indoor piggies and a cage like this one on a sideboard in the living room but I'm not sure it was actually big enough, we are thinking of getting more piggies but this time want something more like this one.

tryhard Wed 28-Sep-16 11:42:09

Brilliant thank you, how many do you have in that age? Does it work well having them in like that ie they don't get scared of noises, don't smell etc?

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 28-Sep-16 21:53:53

For the past few years I've either had 2 boars or a boar+2 sows.
I've tried all sorts of indoor/winter housing.
We started with a 4'x2' plastic base/bars on top ( soon to be known as The Hated Indoor Cage) but my boars only tolerated it if there were 2 hay boxes.
We tried a run (made of panels) on tarpaulin with cardboard/newspaper
A C&C set up but they crammed themselves int a washing basket (2 cut out doors) full of hay...............so back to the Indoor cage.

Last winter , the boar+2 sows had wooden litter (rodent safe) newspaper, fleece and hay cookies. Changed the paper/fleece daily.

This year, I have 2 more sows who haven't bonded with the trio.

We keep them in the small bedroom, so I think I'll do a 2 level C&C ( one level each group) but I haven't worked out the sizes yet.

The hay is the messy bit so I use those solid discs, they have proper hay in the outdoor Pighouse so they can be as messy as they like there grin
They can be noisy at night, I throw an old duvet over them, works for parrots, not for guineas grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now