THAT petshop

(9 Posts)
EastMidsGPs Sun 18-Sep-16 14:09:57

A new P@H has opened this week near to us.
As a treat for being good and keeping by foot elevated and to stop me going stir crazy we've just been out for a coffee and decided to have a wander.
Really wish I hadn't. Lots of rabbits and piggies ... 8 girls and probably same number of boys.
There were 2 sets of parents with small people choosing pigs.
One lot obviously hadn't got a clue and the boy assistant was really quite vague in answering their questions.

Had to walk away, otherwise we'd now have another 16 pigs and possibly a number of rabbits grin
This trade really ought to be stopped angry

jwww Sun 18-Sep-16 16:40:10

The stores are heavily regulated by themselves and externally. Also ultimately if the animal isn't going to be looked after they will refuse it & members of staff regularly get abuse (mostly vocal but also physical) for this.

EastMidsGPs Sun 18-Sep-16 17:41:50

But so many pigs and rabbits end up in rescues ...
And what happens when they piggies and rabbits are no longer cute and are by-passed by the buying public? I cannot bear to think about it.

All but one of my pigs have been rescued, each with a sad back story..
just wish they weren't available to people on a whim .. I cannot really see a young shop assistant saying no to assertive adults hmm

jwww Sun 18-Sep-16 17:59:57

Honesty people get refused all the time, and people do get really quite abusive. I've attached a picture as an (extreme example) but it really does happen a lot and people scream and chuck things and threaten to even assault staff after work!
Yeah I agree on the rescues side of things but that's why p@h run support adoption, although all rabbits can be identified easily as all p@h ones come chipped.

SaggyNaggy Sun 18-Sep-16 18:02:47

I understand what you mean OP bvut until we have regulated breeding licenses for all breeds of animals and humans then P@H is as good a place to sell pets as anywhere else. Afterall, just because someone says theyre a "breeder" doesn't mean they know what theyre doing.

Thankfully when I've been into THAT Petshop, there have only been empty clean cages but I suspect they;re waiting for the next wave of tiny piggies sad

I have , on many occasions, told people exactly what they're letting themselves in for with regards to feeding, cleaning, the mess, the allergies.
Telling the doting child's parent that at 7am on this freezing morning I was getting my piggies breakfast ready and at 6pm on this freezing night I'll be getting my piggies beds ready ...........and yes some of the piggies do belong to my DD but at the end of the day, the Buck Stops With The Adult and if The Kids Get Bored you , Adult just have to Man the Fuck Up (I don't use those exact words) because this is Livestock not Lego.
Sometimes it makes them think and luckily, I haven't been punched yet.

And when there are ill piggies, I will alert a member of staff and wait until that animal is tended to.
No, I don't want to buy it thank you P@H seller, I have enough on my plate.

Unfortunately there will be a Demand so it creates a Supply.
Pisses me off on Gumtree too, some of those sellers are obviously breeders. Do they care what happens to those animals.
Most are Collect Only so don't even know where they're going to sad.

Somethinginthecordelias Mon 19-Sep-16 09:24:51

Sorry to hijack but does anyone know of a Guinea pig rescue in Lancs? The closest Guinea rescue I could find was the RSPCA in Manchester (about an hour away) and I asked if we were close enough to be considered but never heard anything back - so presuming it's a no! Our local RSPCA doesn't take guinea pigs.

I don't want to buy from P@H but it's looking like it's the only option other than gumtree which I think would be even worse!

FernieB Mon 19-Sep-16 19:58:58

http://www.animalcare-lancaster.co.uk/content/guinea-pigs

Sameoldiggi Sat 24-Sep-16 22:19:57

Our pigs came from there. We researched for months in advance, had everything set up and I felt we both knew as much as we could and was sure ds was committed to them. We were asked lots of questions and the advice given re food etc by the staff member matched what I'd learned. I can see that rescued animals are the ideal but not sure how breeder ones are much better. Small independent pet shop was very vague with me about where the breeders were or what setup they had.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now