Slugs in Guinea Pig hutch

(5 Posts)
beadyboo Wed 14-Sep-16 11:22:31

Our piggies live in an outside hutch. It is quite large, and is on legs, so off the ground.
I went to take their bedtime hay out last night and there were 2 massive fat slugs in their hutch - yuck!
I want to make sure it never happens again, but don't like the idea of putting pellets round the hutch just in case.
Any suggestions what I can use to deter slugs and snails from sneaking into the hutch?

TheFlis12345 Wed 14-Sep-16 11:23:42

Copper tape! You put it around plant pots to keep them off so should work for this.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 14-Sep-16 11:43:57

YY copper tape round the legs of the hutch and round the edges where they are likely to get in.
And you could put a beer pond (they drown but I'm sure its a happy death) sink a shallow container into the ground and top up with beer.
Drown the slugs not the pigs , obvs wink

They are horrible slimey creatures <boak> . Our path after rain is covered in snails, DD and I wince (and schreech blush ) when we step on them in the dark Crunch

noramum Wed 14-Sep-16 12:45:47

Sorry to highjack but what can I do when the slugs invade the run?

I have two rabbits living in a hutch with run below. Unless all slugs died in this heatwave I will find them again in the hutch each morning or late evenings.

FernieB Wed 14-Sep-16 16:18:32

They won't bother the bunnies as much as they bother youwink. I'd put the copper tape around the bottom of the run - all the way round. The slugs will be sliming their way through the mesh, so if you tape round, it should stop them and won't affect the buns.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now