easiest way to feed critical care?

(8 Posts)
Stillwaitingforthesummer2come Sat 10-Sep-16 19:59:04

Gp3 now on it as he's in pain after his teeth have been shortened. He seems to like it, but it takes ages and is v messy!! Currently using a syringe with a bit of extra water in the mix - he wasn't really taking it off a spoon.

It does take for-flipping-ever .
I used a syringe (without a needle grin ) with a large bore tubey bit (you can use a Calpol syringe instead)

Pop it behind the front teeth and ease some in at the side, they need to chew then they swallow it, you don't want to risk it going into the lungs.

They do wear more than they eat <<sigh>> and YY to make it very sloppy.

When we had little pigs at the "Going To The Bridge" stage we fed every 2 hours, I honestly felt I was causing them more aggro but their guts need to keep churning .

Good that he's willing to eat albiet it messily wink Has he got painkillers? Our boar GP3 practically arm wrestled us for his post neuter painkiller he loved the taste.

Keep eating little StillPig the worst bit is over

Stillwaitingforthesummer2come Sat 10-Sep-16 22:27:19

Oh yes he's got painkillers! Currently got metacam - only one he likes, plus ranitidine for his digestion, tramadol for pain and baytril for an infection!! Lots of does to get through...
We are using a Calpol syringe as it seems to flow better than any they gave us.
He can't chew sad

It's not really chewing the CC, its so watery. Its just if he does the nomnomnom with his bottom jaw and tongue you know he's going to swallow it. If you squirt it it can come out with too much force (I had Fibreplex for GP3 and I had to put it on my finger, I really couldn;t judge how much force I needed to deliver the doseage and didn't want to risk choking him).

CC has a Probiotic in it too,
I think you have a long night ahead sad but he'll be worth it Bless him.

DD holds the pig on her lap with the rump against her stomach then holds the muzzle while I administer. It is a faff but when you think they are animals that love to eat , they must be poorly if you need to do it for them.

They don't realise that you're trying to help them sometimes (Judgey Little Toads)

Stillwaitingforthesummer2come Sun 11-Sep-16 07:59:58

He's having it happily - just messy and not a quick job! Bright enough in himself luckily wink

Stillwaitingforthesummer2come Fri 16-Sep-16 06:34:08

Still on critical care....

Is he still unable to eat ?
Have you tried grated veg or use a potatoe peeler to make long thin strips?

He maybe isn't confident in eating yet, but he might be tempted by something not too crunchy.
Or grass, cut into smallish pieces , no guinea-pig can resist grass. smile

Is his pooh ok?

Stillwaitingforthesummer2come Sat 17-Sep-16 22:25:45

He's eating soft fruit such as strawberries, cucumber and preach - very slowly!
Poos are back to being tiny like when he was a baby, but shows things are moving through.
Tried grated veg before but he wasn't impressed. He's trying with grass but it just seems to go round and round in his mouth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now