We're getting 2 pigs on Thursday :-)))))

(12 Posts)
Curlybrunette Tue 23-Aug-16 11:57:39

Ahhhh I'm so excited!

We had 2 pigs and Betty died suddenly in March and we've been unsure whether we should get another to keep Bertha company, or as she's an old slow girl now (nearly 6 1/2) it might shock her to get a young energetic thing in with her.

Anyway I rang the rescue centre today and the lady said she really thought they need company and said she has a mum and daughter that she thinks would be lovely for Bertha. The mum has a "delightful disposition" she said!!!

So we are extending our 4x2 C&C in to a 4x3, the correx is ordered on special delivery for tomorrow, and we are going to the rescue on Thursday, to introduce and hopefully bring them home if all goes well. Yippee I am so excited!

fortifiedwithtea Tue 23-Aug-16 13:13:16

Yay, more piggies grin Bertha will be delighted. You may find company makes her more lively.

EastMidsGPs Tue 23-Aug-16 17:56:27

We found Mollie had a new lease of life when we had Sadie. She was utterly miserable after her friend Sophie died.
She chatters away all the while now, is really affectionate and a really lovely pig.
But she had lost her zest and interest in things before Sadie.As I type she is trying to eat my hair!

Curlybrunette Thu 25-Aug-16 16:19:15

Oh no I'm a bit worried.

We picked up the girls this morning, mum (Sugar) is about 1 yr, baby (Pepper) is 7 weeks, and we put them together at the rescue centre all seemed good. Sniffing, licking, a bit of ignoring each other but fine. They went out in the hutch/run when we got home and again seemed fine, Bertha and Sugar mainly ignored each other, but Pepper went between the 2 of them.
It started raining so we brought them in, they've got a 4x3 C&C, and now's there's trouble.

Bertha and Pepper are showing lots of dominance behaviours, teeth chattering, yawning and putting the hackles up rumblestrutting, chasing, nipping, head butting.

There's been a couple of short chases, which has resulted in a a little bit of fur in each others mouths, but I wouldn't say it was a bite, more of a grabbing of a bit of fur (there are no wounds on the pigs).

Piper is squeaking really loud sqeaking but at times when Bertha is near her but not doing anything to her at all.

Right now Bertha and Piper and sat next to each other, Bertha sniffing her bum and ears but nothing else is happening. Sugar is accross the other side of the cage, laying down really low in the hay.

I've read some pages on the Guinea Pig Forum and it suggested taking out some of the hidey holes, so they now just have 2, in the back corners, they are steps, so are open on the four sides (lots of escape routes!).

We have to go out in an hour, I don't think I dare leave them together just in case...

Any advice much appreciated. I've never introduced guinea pigs before so I've no idea what is normal dominance behaviour or not...

Curlybrunette Thu 25-Aug-16 16:29:16

I've just reread my post above and think the stress of the situation has got to me. First of all I have written that Bertha and Pepper were showing dominance behaviours, they aren't it's Bertha and Sugar (the mum), and then below I wrote about 'Piper' I've no idea who Piper is, I should have written Pepper!!!

Curlybrunette Thu 25-Aug-16 16:58:29

Some advice from the Guinea Pig forum was to divide the cage for tonight, great idea, then they can still see each other. Phew, I was worried about what to do with them whilst I go out.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 25-Aug-16 22:06:40

Ooh new piggies grin

Yes, let them have sniffing distance so they can chatter.
Then before you get them together again, wash them all so they're Pig Neutral (and angry at you wink )

My new sows (came to live with us in May) just don't want to like the original trio so we side-by-side.
DD tried to let her two very dominant tricolour sows have a chat.....they were not impressed.

Wash, lots of food, neutral ground , let them bicker a bit and keep a close eye on them.

And photos.................wink

Curlybrunette Fri 26-Aug-16 12:22:53

I was so worried yesterday, was in a right panic! I tried to separate them, put grids along the cage so they could have half each and the baby, Pepper, was distraught. I'd planned to leave her in the half with her mum, and Bertha on her own in the other half. She was having none of that, she rammed into the wall, head butting it repeatedly until she broke through and got to Bertha. I decided the best thing (as I was going out) was to take the newbies with me.
Last night we spent the evening with them on our knees and they snuggled up together seeming very happy with us and each other.

A little bit of teeth chattering from Bertha still, but Sugar isn't chattering back at all, I think Bertha has declared herself the boss and the others have accepted this.

We are so in love, they have such a lovely nature

Curlybrunette Fri 26-Aug-16 12:30:06

Here are our beauties, Bertha is the white one (she's 6 1/2), mum Sugar (8 months) laid horizontally, and you can just see baby Pepper in the middle (7 weeks). She likes to lay underneath one or both of the others, but she doesn't stop moving, so just as the others get really comfy she wriggles and disturbs them. I think the older 2 bonded over the annoyance of a baby pig last night wink

Curlybrunette Fri 26-Aug-16 12:34:23

And some more, you've got me started now!

Curlybrunette Fri 26-Aug-16 12:35:34

And the new cage (well not new but we went from 4x2 to 4x3)

EastMidsGPs Fri 26-Aug-16 12:43:29

Oh they are lovely looking pigs ... look very healthy and content

Glad they've bonded, they'll both lick the baby into shape now wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now