We got our first Guinea pigs yesterday.

(12 Posts)
Annabelle001 Tue 26-Jul-16 17:45:44

They're very sweet but so very shy. I assume they're just settling into their new home. I've been reading up (for weeeeeks!) about their behaviour but still have a few questions. Hopefully you won't mind answering a few...

Do all Guinea pigs "wheek"? Or are some just quiet? Ours haven't made a single noise yet. Well, except one which makes a quiet "popping" sound as she breathes when being held. Sounds like nasal congestion. I've been listening to piggie sounds online and haven't found one like it yet. Any ideas what it might be?

I'm also interested in how you choose to exercise your pigs indoors.

Looking forward to hearing from some of you.

FernieB Tue 26-Jul-16 20:12:22

Welcome to the piggie worldflowers. You'll regret love itgrin

I have one boy who does the pop pop breathy thing. He always has so I'm just assuming that's his quirk. Mine are only vocal if I open the fridge or go past them and they're hungry (all the time). A previous pig very rarely spoke at all. In 3 years we had barely a wheek out of him, so some are quieter than others, just like people.

FernieB Tue 26-Jul-16 20:14:06

Indoor exercise is a few old towels or fleece blanket on the kitchen floor, large paper bag with hay in or cardboard boxes with doors cut out and leave them to it for a bit. Mine don't like the wooden floor, so don't wander off the towels.

GoOnThenYouMightLikeIt Tue 26-Jul-16 20:17:01

When we had piggies they wheeked when the fridge was opened. But that is a learned response so takes time to develop.

Annabelle001 Tue 26-Jul-16 20:23:59

Thanks Fernie! Oh goodness I hope we don't regret it! I'm determined to give it my all so we can all get the most enjoyment possible out of the whole thing. I want to do it right from the start. I'm worried I'll do something to offend the piggies and they'll never be friendly or behave like all the pigs on YouTube wink

Thanks for sharing your indoor exercise routine. I love it for its simplicity! Again, YouTube would suggest everyone has massive cages or whole rooms in their houses devoted to exercising their Guinea pigs. This is great and I've seen some amazing setups but absolutely not practical for us!

How long do you find it takes them to settle in? Ours are 14 weeks old. I don't know if age makes any difference.

FernieB Tue 26-Jul-16 20:45:34

I'm convinced the YouTube pigs are robots. Mine are lardy boys who do very little apart from eat and sleep but they are lovely cuddly things who also mow the lawn.

EastMidsGPs Tue 26-Jul-16 21:14:26

Welcome to the world of piggie slavedomgrin
I've always had girls and none have wheeked all the time. They usually wheek when they want something, attention, food,food, attention... you get the idea smile our youngest Sadie, is about 15 months old and only discovered her wheek about a month ago .. generally she sort of clucks quietly. Mollie our older pig is fat more vocal and chats away to us all if the time. Yours will soon start to 'speak'

When indoors ours play on old blankets, but do wander off them to inspect the room. Sadie still runs around as a youngster but Moll only potters these days. They love cardboard boxes and paper bags to hide in and tunnels.

You'll not regret inviting these lovely little creatures into your lives. They have a simple view of life and just sitting with them takes away everyday stress.
Enjoy and when you can let's see some pictures smile

EastMidsGPs Tue 26-Jul-16 21:19:45

Should read Mollie is far more vocal instead of fat. But on the other hand she is fat big boned or so she tells me hmm

FernieB Tue 26-Jul-16 21:22:26

Also my pop pop breathy pig does a good 'tut' occasionally. And if he's waiting for food he impersonates a rattlesnake for some reasonconfused.

Annabelle001 Tue 26-Jul-16 21:31:31

Yesterday I thought I'd never be brave enough to let them paddle about the room as I thought they'd run off and I'd never be able to catch them. While they're still not really up for being picked up today, they're not freaking out as much as yesterday (and I'm getting used to lifting them too, and not jumping every time they move!) will maybe try a bit of floor time tomorrow. My DDs are very keen for the fun to start. They may be a little underwhelmed but my 6yo is keeping the faith. She's still telling me she's very"thankful" for the Guinea pigs grin

I'm looking into fleece bedding online now. Might give it a go. There are wood shavings everywhere!!!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Tue 26-Jul-16 21:56:57

Ahhhh new piggies to add to the Super Furry Animal Family grin

Guineas are very respiratory sensitive and you might find that woodshavings aggrevate them. Remember whatever you give them to sleep in, their noses are right in there.
Same applies to fleeces and whatever you wash them in. Some highly scented washing detergents can aggrevate them.

My piggies have varied from noisy when there's something worth investigating to never being quiet (GP6 never shuts up grin )
GP2 never squeaked until he died, I lifted him because he was slipping, he did a pathetic "Whhhheeek" just before he went. But he used to make a snuffly grunting noise when he found food to his liking . A guinea-pig NomNomNom

Indoor Excercise - you can get folding pens, make some houses out of boxes, paper bags. Make sure theres no handles,staples or tape.

Excercise though is not what pigs are about unless they're having a MadHalfHour, popcorning.

EastMidsGPs Wed 27-Jul-16 16:03:53

Tbh I wouldn't worry about giving them exercise yet. At 14 weeks and new to you they will be skittish, wriggly and hard to catch. If you don't contain them they'll rush off to somewhere dark and can be a 😈 to catch smile
I'd be inclined to start to chat to them and gently stroke them - don't loom over them tho they'll get anxious. I'd also start to cuddle them a few minutes a day building up the time. Use old towel on lap, it will start to smell of them and will comfort them. And will mop up the pee and poo. Once the piggies get older they tell u (generally) when they are going to wee.
Gently stroke and talk to them and get a routine going. It will only take a few weeks for them to be calm with you, especially if you feed them parsley.
Some will sit quietly on your lap others like to be cuddled next to you. They will find their way. But until they are bigger they will wriggle and so you need to hold them with a mix of being firm and yet gentle. Otherwise they escape glaresatSadie Sadie fell off my lap as a baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now