Guinea Pig and licking

(13 Posts)
RickJames Thu 14-Jul-16 09:21:58

My 4 year old male piggy has started licking my arm or neck when i'm handling him. He is extremely affectionate and cuddly but I have never experienced this from a piggy. He has a mineral lick in his cage (in case it was a salt thing <yuck> ). Is this a sign of something going wrong? Or is he just really soppy? He is VERY friendly!

EastMidsGPs Thu 14-Jul-16 15:09:52

Reckon (but I am no expert) it is because he can smile
Our Mollie likes to give us a wash .. we think she thinks we are piggies.
Or she may like the taste .. we did wonder if it was for the salt but she ignores mineral blocks hmm

RickJames Thu 14-Jul-16 15:21:25

Oh good! Someone else's pig does it too grin

EastMidsGPs Thu 14-Jul-16 16:52:01

I've recently been given Gardenia perfume as a present, not really too my taste so have been wearing it for work. If I forget to change my top before giving the girls a cuddle, Mollie goes wild, dancing and sniffing the air. I think she may be a lady of quite expensive tastes grin

fortifiedwithtea Thu 14-Jul-16 17:17:55

OP do you have more than one piggy? Is the one who licks the dominant one? Our Alpha female Millie likes to lick us and her hutch mate. I call it passive aggressive grooming wink

Basically your male piggy is saying he owns you grin

RickJames Thu 14-Jul-16 17:32:22

My pigs are kept in adjacent cages due to a phase of extreme aggression a couple of years ago. They are both quite dominant but the other pig doesn't lick. I quite like that he thinks I'm his smile we are pretty close!

RickJames Thu 14-Jul-16 17:33:46

And grin at East's perfume loving pig.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 15-Jul-16 14:47:58

Our boar washes the ears of one of my sows, she tolerates it as a sign of affection but , I see her thinking "You ain't fooling anyone matey, I know you've just eaten some of your own pooh "

Some guineas are more kissy.
My new sow does that sniffing at my neck thing grin, if my Himmy did that I'd worry she was looking for an artery .

FernieB Fri 15-Jul-16 19:45:57

I'm just sitting down recovering from the ordeal of bathing the bunny (elderly boy needs help sometimes with his rearblush). The piggies were having a run in the kitchen whilst he was being dunked. I think they must have noticed what was going on because when I looked up, both piggies boys were in the big igloo together and Scruffy was busily giving Ginger a thorough ear and face wash - 'if we wash ourselves, she won't put us in the bath'!

PinkBuffalo Fri 15-Jul-16 19:59:48

My piggie used to do this, so I wouldn't worry smile
I lost her a year and a bit ago, but had got her from a rescue when she was an old lady. Eventually she became very cuddly and like you I got worried when she started licking my arm!
After frantic research (she had access to water and mineral lick too) it turned out it was another way of saying she loved me. Made me think she was like a little dog though grin
So I think all is ok, and he's just being affectionate.

SvalbardianPenguin Tue 16-Aug-16 11:19:24

Ours both recently started licking us, no idea why.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Tue 16-Aug-16 21:42:14

My DD uses Benefit Moisturiser and the pigs practically devour her when she uses it. grin

Curlybrunette Tue 23-Aug-16 11:59:14

Our oig has recently started licking too, mainly just DS though, on his lips.

It's very sweet, I take it as after almost 4 years of living with us she has finally decided we are good guys who are not to be feared!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now