This weather!!!

(12 Posts)
987flowers Tue 31-May-16 10:43:01

Anyone else wake this morning to an absolutely soaked through hutch? We've moved the pigs back into their indoor hutch whilst we can dry out the outside one. Thankfully we hadn't put it properly away yet (there are some plus points to procrastination). Just feel really guilty that I hadn't twigged how wet it was going to be!

EvansOvalPies Tue 31-May-16 10:56:19

Sounds as though you might just have an inferior hutch. We've had outdoor rabbits for more than 15 yrs, and their hutches have never, ever been soaked through. I haven't yet put them out in their runs today, as it is pouring and our lawn tends to get a bit sodden in heavy rain (and they are very old girls now, so don't want to risk them getting pneumonia) but their hutches are as dry as a bone. What sort of design do you have that enables them to get so wet?

noramum Tue 31-May-16 11:03:21

The hutch we have is dry. Yours may need a new roof or a new coat of paint?

We have a run attached to the hutch which is covered by tarpaulin if the forecast says rain but today's downpour caused a bit of leakage so I will have to replace it.

987flowers Tue 31-May-16 12:27:39

Sorry it was the angle of the rain, the very back was dry as was their sleeping quarters. It could probably do with a bigger overhang on the roof although I think the storm was so bad no much would have helped last night.

EvansOvalPies Tue 31-May-16 12:40:32

Sounds as though you could do with a tarpaulin for heavy weather or as I have done in the past (for mild rain or snow), used one of those elasticated car covers. They are good, because they are large enough to easily fit over a combined hutch and run, and you can sort of anchor them to the bottom of the run, to stop them blowing away in heavy winds. But for worse weather, heavier-duty tarpaulins are necessary!

And yes, I agree, you probably need a larger overhang. Glad to know they're dry now!

987flowers Tue 31-May-16 13:15:34

That sounds a good idea! I think I'll keep them in for a couple of days as the forecast isn't good! I gave them lots of herbs to say sorry to them grin

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 12-Jun-16 10:45:38

I bought a couple of the Hop In tunnels ( couple of years ago) they are water resistant for up to 8 hours, so fine for a drizzle but not a deluge smile

The plastic tunnels are more waterproof but when you pick the guinea up, they've been sitting in their own wee and mashed up pooh envy <vomface

The HopIn website suggests a handful of hay in the tunnel (there is plenty of room in it)

My pigs have been enjoying some grazing , yesterday we moved the run to the bottom of the garden where the grass is a foot high grin .
They only had a couple of hours though- DD and I got them safe before the heavens opened.

They don't make it any easier to catch though. No thinking "Hmm, rain, must get indoors"
It's "HaHa Muck about. Let them get drenched, " then we're towelling them dry and putting in fresh hay (while it's tipping down)

FernieB Sun 12-Jun-16 14:41:26

Mine are at their dimmest when it rains. Scruffypig takes shelter and generally goes to sleep but Gingerpig likes to run round dodging raindrops - apparently if you run really fast you stay dryconfused.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 12-Jun-16 20:51:13

grin dodging the raindrops.
It might work if they didn't have such mahoosive rumps though...............

We were looking at some early photos of the pigs , my word they've 'settled in well' (Guinea Pig Keeper speak for getting reet hefty with all the spoiling wink )

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 12-Jun-16 22:07:26

My garden is a bloody pond at the moment <<glares at NDN with their concrete bases to their fences>> takes ages to drain.
I've just pootled down to check the pigs (in the monsoon) they are cuddled up cosy , supper is eaten and they're picking at hay.

EastMidsGPs Mon 13-Jun-16 20:08:18

Day 4 of not being able to play out after more than a week of being in the outside run for hours at a time, has Sadie bouncing off their house walls currently.
Mollie just sits wistfully at the door waiting for anyone to release her from their prison.
They have their budget glare down to a fine art grin
Doubt they'll be out mowing this week

FernieB Tue 14-Jun-16 18:31:24

We had a couple of hours of sunshine today so the boys escaped outside for a quick run (half on concrete, half on grass). They were really not happy to have to come in again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now