Guinea pigs have escaped!!

(19 Posts)
MrsFlorrick Sun 22-May-16 15:40:25

Help!! Both the Guinea pigs have escaped their hutch and outdoor run this afternoon.

Their run is attached to their outdoor hutch. But I didn't notice a wobbly bit of ground when I moved the cages yesterday for longer grass
Took DC to a party and when we came back both piggies were in the bushes roaming around.

I've spent two hours trying to catch them to no avail. I've tried luring them with special food (parsley) but the grass is too long and lush.

I've tried to catch them with a large towel and also a fishing net but the little buggers are fast and small enough to get into the thick areas of bushes where I can't reach.

My last stand is that I have rigged up their hutch with both ground floor doors open with inviting specials hay and special food (parsley carrot and mint). I've also rigged up the grass run with goodies and a special hay tunnel they usually fight over.
My hope is that they will go back in. We've all come back inside to see if that will lure them out of the thicket and back home.

I am out of ideas. The garden is fully walled btw so they can't get out of the garden but there is a local fox (my neighbour has exotic ducks) and clearly if I don't get the piggies secure at dusk, they will no doubt be eaten.
sadsadsad
The children are crying and I'm really hoping someone here has experience with piggie catching or luring.

MrsFlorrick Sun 22-May-16 15:50:09

anyone. I'm utterly desperate!!

Floralnomad Sun 22-May-16 15:56:37

Can you get some help so that enough of you can corner them with nets / towels /sheets .

Hassled Sun 22-May-16 15:59:33

I think focus on one of them at a time and do what you can to reduce the area they're in - so cardboard/whatever barriers you can think of. Maybe only a couple of people involved so they're not too freaked out - move slowly and quietly, but the aim is to make the patch of garden they're in as small as possible.

MrsFlorrick Sun 22-May-16 16:02:59

Flora and hassled.

DH is abroad on business so my only assistance is 6yo DD and 4yo DS.

The bushes are far too thick to get cardboard into. Even folded flat.

Argh. What a nightmare.

guineapig1 Sun 22-May-16 16:03:46

Yes, what Hasseled suggested is good. I would try to barricade them (one at a time if necessary) in a small area. Could use cardboard or planks of wood. Failing that how about a really big fishing net to kind of throw over them and then catch them. Any friends/neighbours who could help?

guineapig1 Sun 22-May-16 16:06:26

Ah just seen your reply... can you "fence" round the bushes with cardboard boxes to contain and then try to catch them?

MrsFlorrick Sun 22-May-16 16:17:02

Guinea. That's my next plan of attack. We have managed to round them up to the bush nearest their hutch and I've rustled food and made food noises. The DC and I are having a dinner break and I'll have another go in a short while.

PirateFairy45 Sun 22-May-16 16:21:24

Run free!!!

I've no help to give. Sorry but hold you get them back in!

guineapig1 Sun 22-May-16 16:36:39

Ah, great that they are now contained to one bush. I think I'd be tempted to leave it for an hour or so so that they calm down and hopefully get a bit full/sleepy and then try to rig up their run so that you can drive them into it. Good luck!

MrsFlorrick Sun 22-May-16 16:54:50

They're back in their hutch!! My temping treats and food noises must have lured them as they went back in while I made the DC dinner. Just been out to shut the hutch doors and give them both a kiss.

gringringrin

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 22-May-16 17:01:34

Ohhhh, thank goodness, little gits lambs must've taken 10 years off you shock
I was going to suggest a cardboard box with a door cut, full of hay or treats and see if you can corall them into it.
But it seems they've realised that their home is their sanctuary, which is a huge relief.

Methinks they are grounded ,their cards are marked and their bums are metaphorically smacked.

shamrock and flowers for the piggies and you (though you might want wine )

MrsFlorrick Sun 22-May-16 17:07:08

They're back in their hutch!! My temping treats and food noises must have lured them as they went back in while I made the DC dinner. Just been out to shut the hutch doors and give them both a kiss.

gringringrin

MrsFlorrick Sun 22-May-16 17:08:33

70. I'm very relieved. The DC were crying earlier and I couldn't catch the bloody pigs.

What a nightmare.

EastMidsGPs Sun 22-May-16 17:53:16

Am so relieved to hear they are now safe and secure. Phew all round.
Have experienced similar in the past .. And know how you've been feeling .. panic, frustration, the lot
In my early piggie slave days Betty escaped, hated being out alone and ended up under a shed ... took 3 men to left shed to get her out smile
And then there was the time Squeak got through a tiny gap in the fence and into next door's strawberry patch, where she quietly worked her way through all the ripe ones ... we didn't realise she was missing until we heard the shriek 'mum there's a rat eating the strawberries '
Life is never dull with piggiessmile
Bet their little hearts were racing .. as well as yours!

MrsFlorrick Sun 22-May-16 18:15:26

The problem is now they've tasted freeeeedom. I bet they'll try to escape at every possible opportunity.

EastMidsGPs Sun 22-May-16 18:44:50

Nah ... as they get bigger and fatter they get lazier 😀

MrsFlorrick Sun 22-May-16 18:50:08

grin to be fair it was the smaller one which escaped first and ran the furthest. The big fat one didn't go far. Bet it was the big fat one which went back in the hutch for dinner first.

guineapig1 Sun 22-May-16 20:21:34

Glad to hear they are safe back in their run. You deserve a glass of wine after that ordeal!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now