should I have hamster PTS?

(4 Posts)
camtt Fri 11-Mar-16 21:58:08

Hammy is 2 and a half years old. Since Christmas he has seemed to be going gradually downhill but in the last week or so I would say he is sleeping most of the time, seems quite cold (so I have given him a heat pad under his cage), isn't eating as much as he used to and I don't think he is peeing as much as he used to either (based on the wetness of his bedding). His eyes need to be ungummed most days (got a course of antibiotic eye ointment for him but hasn't really helped). A couple of weeks ago he'd have run about on the carpet but if I got him out now he would sit there quite miserable. I think I should probably get him PTS as he has probably reached the end of his natural life, am I right?

EastMidsGPs Sat 12-Mar-16 09:07:17

You say he is quite miserable and it sounds as if his quality of life is quite poor. Personally, sadly I'd make the decision to PTS sad

camtt Sat 12-Mar-16 20:32:46

thanks for replying! I decided to let the vet decide and she said it would be kinder to have him PTS as he was otherwise just going to deteriorate but potentially quite slowly and miserably, so I had him PTS this morning. Surprisingly lonely without my furry friend!

EastMidsGPs Sun 13-Mar-16 12:08:02

It is always hard but as a responsible pet owner you've made the correct decision.
Now you have to decide how you will fill the Hammy shaped space in your life ☺

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now