Who looks after little pets when you go on holiday?

(8 Posts)
Seeyounearertime Sun 21-Feb-16 20:47:29

I just had a thought about offering some sort of home visit service to feed, water, clean etc. small pets for people.
then i thought, does this service exist? if it does how much is it?
if it doesn't would anyone be interested? grin

FernieB Sun 21-Feb-16 20:59:13

It exists in my area. There are a few people that offer this and prices vary. Google pet sitting in your area and see if anyone's doing it near you. I wouldn't use it as I don't like leaving my boys alone in the house, so they go off to a small animal hotel for pampering.

Seeyounearertime Sun 21-Feb-16 21:10:07

i just googled pet sitting and my area and apparently someone 5 doors up does it. smile

EastMidsGPs Sun 21-Feb-16 22:15:25

If i am away for a long day or if we're away overnight the 2 girls next door (and i suspect their dad) spoil the gps rotten.
For main holiday, we have close relatives who live near the coast ...with annexe we use. We have space for similar set up to home at theirs and so gps come with us usually about 4 - 5 times a year.
They sulk and grumble a bit about the poor quality grass but get compensated with extra parsley. Sadie was acquired there last summer as old Sophie died whilst we were visiting.
I know someone who visits cats in their homes when their owners are away and makes a decent living from this. I'd always worry my piggies would stress tho

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 21-Feb-16 23:24:28

Our pigs go to a Small Animal Boarding .
When I had GP1 and very young GP3 (our holiday had been booked months before but real life doesn't stand still and we had to adopt our piglet as a cagemate for our boar) we asked for them to have a large cage away from pesky sows so as not to upset their burgeoning StepDad/StepSon Status Quo.
They had a lovely huge cage (I think about 6' long) to pootle round, two hidey spaces and daily grazing. And no pesky females grin

Now we have our own pesky females and our boar, they have a Family Cage (again 6')

They don't miss us at all (the vipers)

They don't even pretend to waste away. No, they stuff their rodenty faces with hay,grass and veg and wallow in the admiration.
The traitors .

If DH is at home and I visit the Grandparents, he does Pig Sitting Duty. I phone him every night. He does a good job, feeds them early , not so good at catching and cuddling as DD and I though.

duckwalk Sun 21-Feb-16 23:28:58

There's 2 pet shops in my local area who take in small pets. Prices depend on what type of animal, but for our rabbit it was £3.50 per day and that includes food.

CointreauVersial Sun 21-Feb-16 23:33:31

Our rabbit and hamsters used to go to the pet shop we bought them from. They were well looked after and had lots of attention.

noramum Tue 23-Feb-16 12:59:51

My bunnies go to an animal hotel. We have someone locally who does home visits but they are more expensive than the "hotel" and I also feel not happy with the idea of letting people into our house.

The "hotel" charges £6/cage incl. bedding and fresh food, I just have to bring the dry pellets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now