Change in hamster habits

(8 Posts)
thesurreyyouth Fri 18-Sep-15 19:11:08

We adopted a grown hamster last year & he's the best pet we've ever had. So lovely to handle & waits at the bars to come out. Recently though he's changed from sleeping in his plastic house to making a nest with the bedding in the sawdust in the cage. Somehow he manages to split the house open & remove all the bedding.
If it was high summer I'd think he was getting too hot. Is there a reason why he's doing this? DH thinks it's because he's getting near the end sad

PermetsTu Fri 18-Sep-15 19:18:38

Our hamster's getting on a bit. Recently he's changed behaviour in two ways: hes started making a nest in the sawdust and rejecting his house; he no longer uses his wheel. He's also a different colour. He's getting lighter. He's 2 and a half so I know he's pretty much an old man in hamster years.

thesurreyyouth Fri 18-Sep-15 19:57:54

That sounds like our old boy. Not as active as this time last year but still so happy to be handled and looks alert. When he first started sleeping in the sawdust he looked like a gonna, dd3 started crying saying he's dead but then he stirred and looked up. Thinking about it he's lost his skirts as well. Think he's only 2 and a bit.

PermetsTu Fri 18-Sep-15 20:22:18

Mike's a Syrian and his average life expectancy is 2-3. At 2 and a half, I know he's drawing his hamster pension.

I was worried too when he started sleeping in the sawdust but her persists in dragging the bedding there. He's still fabulous. Loves to be handled, begs for cuddles and is gentle and lovely but he's slowing down. He's 8yo dd's first pet and I'm dreading what is inevitably coming.

ginmakesitallok Fri 18-Sep-15 20:26:33

Nothing to worry about. Our wee woman is just a year and often makes a nest in her shavings instead of her bed, just fancies a change. We've moved her to a new glass tank today, she's back in her plastic house now.

Love this wee one to bits, hard to believe they've only been pets since the 70s.

ginmakesitallok Fri 18-Sep-15 20:28:31

New cage!

ToadsJustFellFromTheSky Tue 22-Sep-15 10:14:22

I just think they have ideas of their own.

All my hamsters have just made their bed wherever they want to. The hamster I have right now does have a wooden house which I always put all her bedding in every time I clean her out however 99% of the time she will move all of it from the house and put it behind her wheel and she just sleeps there.

She is coming up to a year old and this whole sleeping behind the wheel thing only started about 3/4 months ago. Before that she used to sleep in the house. Now she just prefers to chew the house.

Rowgtfc72 Sun 04-Oct-15 17:23:57

Was going to post about this. Got a hamster beginning of September, its a pets at home one, not very old though. Spent the first two nights in its house then moved into its plastic tube. Removed the tube so now it sleeps under its wheel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now