Treats for piggies

(6 Posts)
987flowers Sat 29-Aug-15 18:23:32

Well it's been nearly 2 weeks since we've had the piggies and I have become that neurotic guinea pig mum!

Today I was looking at the vast amounts of 'treat' foods you can buy. Does anyone give this or is it just full of crap and we are better off sticking to veg? I was just considering it as a way of making the piggies associate nice treats with going in the run and being cuddled.

They are settling down a bit and one are some cucumber from my daughter today but at the moment they get in the run and hide in their pigloo! Nothing else happens! They are only 12 weeks though so perhaps this is normal?

Thanks

OohMrDarcy Sat 29-Aug-15 19:49:56

Favourite treats for my two are dandelion leaves and green beans!

Seriously I've never given them anything bar veg / leaves and they are more than happy with that

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 29-Aug-15 20:50:55

The only treat I've bought was a Parsley Bell (it was when they were in for winter nights) and I spent ages worrying that they'd eat the plastic hanger or get caught in it ( yes, I'm still a neurotic pig-mum too grin )

Things with seeds aren't recommended (choking hazard)
Honey - shouldn't have (and bear in mind they're at risk of diabetes and being over weight
I've bought the little dried herby bags , they ignored them.
Cubes of Excell with blackcurrant. Didn't like

There were Egg Biscuits for small rodents (rats can eat egg, guineas don't but there was a piggie on the wrapping)

Ours go barmy for dandelions, freshly picked. Cut grass.
And parsley.

Go easy with fruit too, a slice cut up small is fine now and again. But it ferments in their bellies,high in sugar and too big a piece can make their mouths sore.
Ours love a rind off a watermelon slice (DD eats the fruit and leaves a sliver )

We don't give food while we cuddle them, they get supper when they go to bed (though I need to wash my hands to make sure my ruby eyed pig doesn't mistake my Trucker Hands for supper grin )

And hiding is 100% normal .

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 29-Aug-15 20:55:28

I've tried the "Look you Bu**ers, there are 90 million guinea-pigs out there and I rescued you lot. That should be treat enough"

The pigs are " hmm What ever "

Fluffy24 Sat 29-Aug-15 20:59:52

Stick to fruit and veg, they're designed to eat fresh food so that'll be a great treat compared to the dry food that forms their day to day diet.

I find cucumber is a big hit, but they also really love fresh grass.

987flowers Sun 30-Aug-15 08:32:15

Thanks all you've confirmed what I thought! Reading the packets I was thinking that I didn't want to give them honey because it's sugary etc.

Will stick to fresh veg. They've only had a bit of melon fruit wise so far which they weren't sure of for a while but it disappeared in the end!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now