would you let your GPs run on the patio?

(6 Posts)
millimat Tue 02-Jun-15 08:00:43

Seeing as this ' summer' weather is so wet, our GPs haven't been out in the run nearly as much as I'd like - the grass is sodden. Can they run on the patio? - I know their claws would be filed down a bit but that would be a good thing!

fortifiedwithtea Tue 02-Jun-15 09:06:18

GP feet are very delicate. Give the patio a sweep first to remove small stones and grit. Other than that, give it a go and put plenty of hay in for them to nibble.

I occasionally put the old run (long thin triangular ended) on the concrete path with old rubber car mats inside. That was back in the day when I had 2 boars.

FernieB Tue 02-Jun-15 12:44:50

If it's a bit damp on the lawn, I sometimes put our run half on the lawn and half on the patio, so they can still nibble a bit if they want. I usually stick an old towel down on the patio to make it softer for them and I don't leave them out too long as if it's damp it'll make them cold.

If it's really wet, I put them on old towels in the kitchen.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Tue 02-Jun-15 18:57:38

We sometimes set up the run in the garage , (concrete floor) with cardboard and newspaper on the base.

If I put mine directly on concrete , they sit there hmm like a blancmange.

clippityclop Thu 04-Jun-15 22:02:51

Perfect description 70! I feel so guilty when ours don't get out to play in the fresh air, so faff about setting up a run on the patio, put boxes, hay, grass etc in to make it interesting and then the daft buggers popcorn about, wreck the place and then hide. For ages. They don't seem to mind the concrete but it's cobbley stuff with dandilions growing in the cracks. I set the run up in the kitchen/utility sometimes too.

MsPepsi Sun 07-Jun-15 10:23:47

My grass is damp in the morning but I want them to get out. I have a 'soft' patio so I put them out in the morning. They have one of those Apex runs so have a good sized end bit with flooring. They seem to run out the end squeak for food and then retreat. Just watch their feet as they are delicate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now