Piggies...drink nothing, pee a lot!

(5 Posts)
MrsRogerSterling Sat 30-May-15 20:34:31

Have had my 3 girls since Easter, am totally besotted with them however I can't help but wonder how they can pee so much when they drink so little? I refresh the water bottles up every morning and they appear to have drunk nothing from them. Is this normal? They pee like race horses!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 30-May-15 20:40:48

Completely normal.
They get a lot of moisture from veg.

Always offer clean fresh water though and keep a check on it. Sudden changes in their drinking habits should be investigated, ( If they go from nothing to glugging the entire thing you've either got a leak, a heatwave or suspect bladder issues or diabetes)

Mine can pee through several layers of newspaper in a day wink

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 30-May-15 20:44:04

My FurBabies like the racehorse comparison.

Live on hay, eat grass, precious , sleek fast and majestic ermmmmm

MrsRogerSterling Sat 30-May-15 21:49:37

Thanks. Yes mine too can pee through layers of newspaper each day. I clean out the haybox daily and it is sodden and the rest of the hutch every other day with a spot clean in between and it is very wet in the areas they pee.

I do love them though, have never had guinea pigs before and now I am obsessed, I could waste hours away just watching them run around and eat!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 30-May-15 23:12:38

My three pigs (adult neutered boar and 2 sows) are bonded and sharing now so I treated them to some Megazorb (equine bedding)

I found the best way for them was a layer of newspaper + a layer of Megazorb , especially in the corners topped by the newspaper and hay that I change daily. So the Megazorb soaks the excess but most gets onto the paper that I change.
This is in their haybox, they all sleep in there.

We had boars before these sows and I've noticed that the girls seem to pee more .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now