So. We may have just met our future guinea pigs!!

(56 Posts)

Squeeee!! grin

2 young brothers currently in the local animal rescue.

Wish me luck that they will approve us...

Thanks, guineapiglet - I had come across your post about your DS and GP and tetras somewhere else and have been considering all that.

We keep the GP on fleece cage liners, so hay dust is at a minimum. I do all the feeding and cleaning and most of the handling (they are still v shy and don't like to be caught, but settle nicely on my lap). They are also moulting like crazy - there must be the equivalent of one GP in hair alone every day hmm.

I have a couple of trial sizes of shampoo coming grin and we shall see.

Btw, when they have settled on my lap, initial panic quelled by parsley grin, they then start 'chatting': high pitched squeaks that they both do at the same time for a long period of time. It's not wheeling and not rumbling/purring and I have not really found it on GP noise sites. I am hoping it's happy chatter and not 'Omg, get me out of here, the scrary giant's got us again' confused. Any ideas?

Oh, and here's another thing: I've just cleaned their cage again and they have eaten a whole chunk of their house made made of ?hay/grass/whatever. I presume that's ok??
They seem to like the carrot greens more than the actual carrot grin

FernieB Thu 01-May-14 10:41:33

They all seem to like carrot greens more than carrot. They will chew at anything cardboard or hay based and it's fine.

We have 2 boys - one of whom is largely silent unless he's really cross when we get a squeal or really happy when he purrs. Scruffypig chatters constantly with a series of wheeks etc all the time - it is lovely but not when you're trying to watch TV whilst you cuddle them. You may have got yourself a couple of chatterers.

Thanks for that, Fernie, it's lovely to hear that they have wee personalities smile.

They are currently in a room referred to as 'playroom' but which has not been used as a playroom for a long time and has very little footfall/traffic, so it is fairly quiet and anybody entering the room as them scampering for shelter.
I am wondering whether to move them in to our kitchen/dining room where we spend 80% of our time so they get more used to us?
They are now 4-5 months old and have been with us for just over 5 weeks. Any thoughts?

FernieB Thu 01-May-14 12:52:55

They do like to be involved in family life and would love a good view of the fridge (magical veg dispensing device). They can be a bit smelly so if you can cope with that - they'd love the kitchen.

Mine have moved around. Originally they were in the kitchen which they loved but were quite noisy. Then they lived in the dining room with Current Bun for a while and are now in the utility room which is a lot quieter but I do leave the door open a lot so they can still hear the fridge door opening.

The hay house- yes it's fine (and typical) that they eat it- we had one of those card tunnels (actually we had 3 of them on special offer) GP2 used to pick the hay bits off then eat the card. Just look at it as a way of keeping their teeth trimmed.

Carrot leaves seem to go down better here than carrots grin

The late GP2 only purred or made nomnom noises
GP1 does an unholy shriek in protest at being lifted up , but it's a token protest, he loves a cuddle grin
GP3 - I'm sure he chats in his sleep hmm

I have noticed GP1s ears getting hairier in the last nine months , possibly to filter out the constant prattling grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now