hand holding please - pig is dying

(29 Posts)
Whojamaflip Sun 27-Oct-13 09:22:19

sitting here with old Piggie on my chest - she's barely breathing and I think its only a matter of time sad

found her in her nest this morning when I went to put her out in the sun - she was floppy and hardly weeked at all.

I know she's a good age - nearly 7 - and this has been on the cards for a while - she's been getting doddery and has dropped a bit of weight recently - but it doesn't make it any easier sad

she even refused her cucumber this morning which is unheard of sad

any chance of a bit of company for a while - I'm not moving until she's gone . . .

PatoBanton Sun 27-Oct-13 09:25:31

Oh poor pig sad

It sounds peaceful though, she has done well smile

Sparrowfarts Sun 27-Oct-13 09:25:40

I'm so sorry. Our old sow, the same age, died on my lap this year. Your pig has had a long life and will die warm and loved.

Oh im so sorry. 7 is a really good age. She knows she is loved x

Whojamaflip Sun 27-Oct-13 09:31:16

we lost her sister just short of 12 months ago and didn't think old Piggie would get over it but she did.

don't know what we will do with no pigs in the house - it already seems too quiet sad

she's still hanging on but appears very peaceful. god knows how I will tell the dcs - they are at their grans this morning

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 27-Oct-13 09:43:30

sad poor piggy thanks

May she pass peacefully and spend eternity loved and amongst her sister and new friends.

Sweet dreams xx

BearsInMotion Sun 27-Oct-13 09:50:23

So sorry. She did so well to get to nearly 7! flowers

Still miss my piggies, they've been gone 3 years now sad

Sparrowfarts Sun 27-Oct-13 09:53:42

Every time I peeled a carrot for ages after last pig died, I would head for the dining room, where she lived, with the peelings (she had a shortage of front teeth and used to suck strips of peel in like spaghetti).

She did leave a hole in our lives. She was one of a pair of baby sows who both turned out to be pregnant shock. We peaked at 7 young pigs, though we rehomed three of them. She was feisty and cantankerous with other pigs (she tried to kill her sister, but ultimately tolerated her neutered nephew after his brother died). She enjoyed human company though, especially when she was being fed by hand. She appreciated attentive staff.

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 27-Oct-13 10:00:01

When ours died dd1 was crushed but it helped her to help bury him she drew a picture and we stuck it to the box we buried him in. Maybe your dc would appreciate that? To write or draw a little message for her ? X

wantitallover Sun 27-Oct-13 10:00:52

I am so sorry. sad

We lost our boy piggy last month and thought his girlfriend would follow soon after but she seems to be doing okay though she has something wrong.

Will be thinking of you all flowers.

Sawdust Sun 27-Oct-13 10:02:35

Oh so sorry to hear this! Here's a hand to hold. I'm glad you're etting to be there to support her flowers

FernieB Sun 27-Oct-13 12:18:29

Sorry to hear about your Piggie. Seven is a very good age. I hope that you have a peaceful day together. Hugs

Oh just caught this thread whojam

We were there in July with GP2.
They go through a floppy, "not with it" stage and you know it's going to happen.

Have you got someone to share the cuddling with ? I know you won't want to let her go while she's in this state.
Hopefully she'll just slip away quietly in a fleece wrapped cuddle .

(GP2 did a twitch, twitch, ahhhh and that was him. They save a bit of dramatics for the end.
sad

Very sorry to hear about your dear piggie. She's had a good long life and clearly very much loved.

My Fatimus slipped away peacefully last month over several hours. She felt cold to touch for quite awhile before she went despite being in a cuddle sac on a wheaty bag.

Hand holding for you flowers
sad

toffeelolly Sun 27-Oct-13 15:21:37

So sorry to hear your sad news, they are lovely little animals, have never had little piggies but we are getting dd 2 for Christmas.

Whojamaflip Sun 27-Oct-13 16:00:59

well she finally gave up just after lunch - twitched a few times then went still. sad

ive put her back in her nest with her fleece - can't quite face putting her out yet.

ds1 says he wants to bury her tomorrow after the storm cos she didn't like the wind.

we haven't had much luck this year with our animals - we've lost both guinea pigs, the gerbil and my old lab cross in the last 12 months. it doesn't get any easier tho.

thank you for all your support and hand holding - I'm really glad I was there to give her cuddles to the end thanks

toffeelolly Sun 27-Oct-13 16:04:03

So so sorry.x

foofooyeah Sun 27-Oct-13 16:08:07

I am so sorry. We lost a pig a couple of days ago. They are such characters you really feel it when you lose them.

What helped my son was a funeral and nice plot with flowers.

sad off to The Rainbow Bridge now piggie.

Sadly, there are a lot of Super Furry Animal pigs this year already waiting to greet her.

So sorry. I cried for over a week when we lost our two bastard foxes I still miss them sad

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 27-Oct-13 16:44:03

Run free little piggy xx

FernieB Sun 27-Oct-13 17:05:32

How awful to lose so many furry friends in a year. I'm so sorry. It never gets easier. Thinking of you.

wantitallover Sun 27-Oct-13 17:09:56

I am so sorry flowers.

Sparrowfarts Sun 27-Oct-13 17:20:04

sad

But a good life and a good end for her.

flowers

Sawdust Sun 27-Oct-13 20:58:55

So sorry sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now