Charlie the guinea pig has unexpectantly gone to piggy heaven

(20 Posts)

Got up this morning and went to let the girls out in my pyjamas to be greeted by a sprawled out Charlie, picked her out and put her on the shed floor and she proceeded to try to move but her back end had just given up. Bought her in and cuddled her in , she tried a bit of carrot then just wanted to bury her head, dd took over while I got ready for work and she started like violent hiccups and vibrating. Took her to vets after the school run and it looked like she has had a stroke of some sort, continued having little seizures so the vet has put her to sleep. Almost seven she had only just bonded with her new friend Sooty. Im now left with a 2 yr old lone sooty girl piggy, Charlie is reunited with her sister Lola in piggy heaven and im a bereavement councillor again for dd whilst I struggle to hold it together myself. These little creatures are so damn precious sad. RIP beautiful girl.

SilverApples Fri 11-Oct-13 17:11:23

I'm so sorry, they are such uncomplicated and loving little creatures and it is surprising what a void they leave when they finally trot off.
I thought of my two as my personal Tribbles, stress relievers and entertainment all in a furry coat.

Oh sad .
Seven is a good age for a guinea-pig and they are prone to alot of old aged problems (much like humans) so stroke, heart attacks, all a risk with older pigs.

She sounds like she went quickly , which has to be a blessing.
But YY sad for Sooty.
She's had a lot of change to cope with.

sad To the Bridge Charlie , Lola's waiting.

FernieB Fri 11-Oct-13 17:32:40

Poor Charlie but at least it was quick. Seven is a ripe old age for a pig. Hope your DD is okay and Sooty as well. Lots of parsley and hugs required I think.

Oh 70 you just started me off again blush. DD was really upset but she is taking it better than last time, she is concerned about the welfare of Sooty and has asked if we can contact the rescue and see if any of Sootys friends still need rehoming - like tomorrow shock. Seems a bit raw but dd has informed me animals move on and we have to do this for Sooty not us as heartless as it may seem. Sooty and Charlie have only been together like a month and it was rocky to start with.

Lola and Ninja (my GP2) went within a week of each other (Lola was June, Ninja July).

It's strange when you get a new guinea-pig, it feels bad to replace the one who has gone, but you have to think of your remaining pig.

Hopefully you can get a new companion for Sooty.

(Our GP1 seems to be a bit middleaged now, Bless Him, but compared to GP3 he would be. GP3 is a right chunky monkey)

Sawdust Fri 11-Oct-13 18:45:40

So sorry to hear this. sad

Your daughter sounds lovely to be considering the needs of the other pig rather than her own feelings.

Hope you have a successful mission in finding a companion!

Awww 70 I remember sad. Just rang the rescue and have arranged to go over ourselves this time on Sunday rather than getting a pot luck rescue piggy like sooty was in a carpark handover grin. Its a 45 min journey but its gotta be worth it - will have to refrain myself from bringing them all home ha ha - dd will be far more sensible than I blush

Thanks sawdust - dd is lovely - she just shared her box of chocolates with me that dh bought her to cheer her up grin. Thanks everyone for your kind support it means a lot smile

guineapiglet Fri 11-Oct-13 19:01:17

sad
thanks

Very sorry to hear your news, and sad for your family as well - your girls were well loved and looked after, and had a lovely life with you all- but these little souls leave such a big space.... your daughter sounds really kind and wants to get on with a companion for Sooty, really hoping you find a wonderful friend for her this weekend. - I am sure there will be a little furry person looking for a kind and loving home. Good luck ! X

FernieB Fri 11-Oct-13 19:05:34

Your DD sounds lovely and very thoughtful. Are you taking Sooty to pick her friend?

I wasn't sure to be honest whether to take her - the rescue lady is ringing me tomoroow to confirm a time - I will ask her if it is necessary or not - don't want to stress Sooty on a long journey.

The actual journey shouldn't be a problem for Sooty. If you give her a box/ carrier with lots of newspaper and hay + treats. The sound of the engine and your voices will be soothing.

When we took GP1 to meet GP3 he was fine on the way. We had a couple of plastic 'crates' with locking lids (lots of ventilation holes drilled).
It was really warm though, that was the main problem with his journey there. (Air-con was on full whack).
On the way back, I put him in the front on the passenger seat (seatbelt threaded through the handles).
DD sat with GP3 in a seperate travel carrier.
GP1 got a bit stampy and shredded paper on the way home.
(I hope because he wanted his new piglet and was worried where he was) .

At least you won't need to contend with those extremes of heat.
And it would be better for Sooty to "choose" .

Good Luck.

FernieB Fri 11-Oct-13 21:34:57

I would echo what 70 said and let Sooty choose - she will have to share her parsley with the newbie. The journey shouldn't be a problem - lots of hay and some nibbles in a travel box and she'll be fine. I had a bunny who did 12 hour car journeys several times a year and was fine. They just settle down and snooze.

hmmm perhaps, think id worry she would pick some red eyed evil looking rat lookalike grin. Yes yes im sure your right though - as ever!

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrmm my little (no so little) GP3 is a red eyed.

He did look like a mouse when we got him but now he's a guinea pear shape.
I would not have chosen him TBH but GP1 liked him and that was all tha mattered grin

whoops sorry didn't mean to offend your piggy grin - change of plan here - not going to get to the rescue this weekend then after this weekend for next 6 weeks weekends are out so were having another pot luck car park pig shock - I know its going to be white now because the guinea pig god will be wanting my punished for saying such things. Looking like Monday will be the day smile

Your profile needs updating with gp3.

Dill doesn't get offended - he's gorgeous (well he is) grin

Good Luck with your carpark guinea - you did good with Sooty.
You could take Sooty with you and put them in a neutral box lined with newspaper. Let them suss each other out?

White guineas are sweet (especially Himmys) it's just with boars their bollocks are a bit more mmm obvious when they're pink.
Though GP3 tucks his away nicely.

I'm trying to get DD to photograph the two and DH to upload.

GP3 is now officially heavier than GP1. (Weekly weigh-in)

Yeah should be ok as sooty came out of her little sectioned of bit of 2 yr old ish girls who came from same place initially so hopefully they will remember each other ha !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now