serious fighting in previously loving boar pair - anectdotes/ advice please

(8 Posts)
ArtVandelay Thu 10-Oct-13 10:16:05

Hello, maybe someone will remember I lost one of my original boars to a heart attack in the hot summer. My 1 and a bit yr old remaining boar picked out new boar aged 10 weeks and for 2 months they have been really happy. Seriously, they were like GP soulmates. I guess baby GP has got his hormones because the last week has been Hell. It culminated this morning with a proper fur-ball fight that left blood on the fleece. Big GP is covered in scratches and scabs from the spats of the last week. Baby seems okay. I have cracked and put a wire divide in their cage. I think I've left it long enough now, and if I don't split them, one might be killed.

They had 2 of everything.

They are in a 160 x 80 indoor run. So now I guess the are each 80 x 80.

Any thoughts from anybody about anything in this situation. I can't even think of specific questions, I'm literally traumatised by this so I need you guys to help me see a way through this and do the right thing by my little guys. One thing I will definatly do is take them to the vets for a check up to make sure they don't get infected or whatever sad

Thanks in advance

sad it does sound like they've had a right old barney.

Are your boys indoor or outdoor ? (I found my brothers got narky indoors but maybe they felt it was too constrictive . Though I did try not to let them get too warm)

YY to seperating them for now. They can still see each other and chat to each other.

Do you have anywhere completely neutral where they can have a run about but you can keep a close watch on them (armed with a spray bottle of water and a towel, just in case)

Do you think it's the little boy who's causing it?
It does sound like he's finding his teenage feet.

(My little boy that arrived in July is flipping massive now. He's overtaken GP1 weight wise and he's only 17 weeks old. He still tries to mount GP1 - never learns- but I can see their balance of power tipping slowly in GP3 favour)

When I had my GP1/GP2 they had to be seperate at night in their first winter- same cage with a divide- but they were ok in their outdoor cage,
They had the odd spat but it's horrible when they fight.

You might need to completely neutralise the cage.
And I'd be tempted to swap their sides from time to time.
We sometimes did with GP1/GP2 though 99% of the time GP1 got the slightly larger side. But I'd swap round their beds and blankets so they didn't get too attatched.
They could still do their boar marking, but GP1 was more liable to do this.

Good Luck for winter- what do you plan to do with them? Are they inside?

guineapiglet Thu 10-Oct-13 22:26:06

Hi do read my rescue thread on here, sad it seems boars reach a stage where fighting is necessary which is v sad but i guess is a natural process.
Lots of space, distractions and neutral territory. Paddling pool?
Indoor runs?

ArtVandelay Sat 12-Oct-13 07:53:55

Hi - sorry for the delay. Been madly busy with one thing and another. So - I took them to the exotics vet and they are fine! Very healthy and the injuries they have are nasty looking but uninfected with no swelling. They both brrrrred like mad at the vet but also snuggled her and were very good about being examined (proud).

The vet thinks that this is a dominance issue brought on by baby becoming mature. It should pass within a month but keep them seperated and reintroduce them later. She said if they truly hate each other not even castration will help (although it sometimes does work on less aggressive pigs).

70 and Gpiglet - thanks! I've calmed right down now. There is just something shocking and awful seeing them go at it like that. Their cage was new on Monday with mostly new fleeces. I've been swapping their toys and furniture occasionally since I split them as per your advice - ill switch their sides after today's clean out. It's funny because on the face of it, big GP is more aggressive than baby - constantly brrrring and getting in baby's face but then baby snaps and beats big GP up. Big GP needs to accept that he is rubbish at fighting and stop working his ticket smile

Currently, they are having a lot of cuddle time but can only be free running together if I watch them like a hawk. If anything, they both seem relieved that I've split them and have started doing happy squeaks at us / fridge door noise again.

I have just sold my outdoor hutch last week. It was too small and they always looked miserable in it. There is only a small window in spring and autumn when you can use it anyway as summer was over 30c most of the time and winters are below 0 for at least 2 months.

Im going to read your thread Gpiglet.

You know, I'm starting to think GPs should not be so readily available - I have got the best of intentions, read everything I can get my hands on and some years experience and I still feel like I struggle to keep mine healthy and happy. I don't get this het up about my DS! Thanks again x

ArtVandelay Fri 25-Oct-13 19:56:37

I think the war is over! Theyve been together nearly 24 hours and theres been a bit of chasing and bumping but the diving on each other and clacking their teeth has stopped. There is lots for them to do in the cage, hay boxes, tunnels, houses etc. so i think that helps. Despite baby still being half the size of big one he seems to have become the chief.

Hope everyone else on SFA is warm and friendly tonight!

FernieB Fri 25-Oct-13 22:14:40

Glad they seem to be settled. Peace is reigning in GP households grin

KRITIQ Mon 28-Oct-13 11:51:18

Good news!

Ours boys tend to be a bite snipey indoors if they collide (silly animals, one can't walk past the other without bumping into their cagemate.)

We have a big indoor pen for night time for them , towels, fleeces and a hay trug.

Last night we were cuddling the GPs on DD bed.....and GP3 licked GP1 ears.

GP1 just sat and tolerated it grin even though I could see him grimace, because GP3 , the little git, had just indulged in some pooh eating envy <-- vom face.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now