Her name is Gloria....

(44 Posts)

I have fallen in love with a poor abandoned sow I saw on the RSPCA website... Not far from my house... Could easily go and get her... Waiting for DP to get home tonight and I will show him! She is 2 years old and is just waiting to be housed with other piggies.

Convince me to take her! grin I need no convincing!

FernieB Wed 18-Sep-13 11:57:15

bunnies - I've just looked at your pics of Salt and Pepper - very sweet. Mine won't touch strawberries, so I may show them your pics for motivation grin

Have just put a few more pics on my profile as Smooth was being particularly cute in his box this morning.

Aww cute loving the new pictures of Current Bun Fernie. I see new box is now in well played with condition smile

CurrentBun takes his relaxation duties seriously doesn't he? grin

Good job the guineas are on duty to Protect and Serve wink

FernieB Wed 18-Sep-13 17:12:00

Current Bun works very hard dismantling boxes and likes to put the same amount of effort into his relaxation. Sometimes I have to poke him to check he's still with us grin

Gutted... Called the rescue centre today to be told that Gloria has been paired with a neuterd male so she cannot go as a singleton sad

Now I really have the idea that I want an older piggy smile someone find me one!!! grin

Madratlady Thu 19-Sep-13 20:52:35

Maybe 4 would be a good number then? I prefer groups of 4 to 3 with my rats, it's a better group dynamic somehow.

Madratlady Thu 19-Sep-13 20:53:55

Also can I ask why people bath their piggies? I don't really know much about them as pets. I don't bath my rats though because they do get a bit mucky but generally groom themselves and I know it's can be dangerous to bath bunnies.

Sawdust Thu 19-Sep-13 21:27:26

Awww..... sad Well, maybe Gloria's purpose was to highlight the little guinea pig shaped gap in your life!! grin

Why bath guineas?

I ask myself the same when I have to cover myself, my daughter and the bathroom floor with towels and endure the pathetic but at the same time judgey looks from our pigs.

Our boars are 3yo and 4 months ( the piglet replaced my nearly 3yo who died)

GP1 gets a 'tail' from his greasegland when it gets claggy. Usually gets a bumdip and shampoo.
GP1 used to do his cloudy wee and GP2 ran through a fresh puddle "I smell of wee-wee and it's not even mine" he'd chortle.

We do wash them with JustForBoars shampoo to calm them and make them smell the same (good if they're a bit arsey)

And there's a Lice&Easy treatment.

Rats are very bendy and flexible.
Our guineas sit on their haunches to wash their faces. DD and I are "awww, cute".
GO thinks "I am not a floorshow" and flounce. grin

Aw sad about Gloria , but..................................................

would you consider Gloria and her new boyfriend as a couple?
Let them settle then you could have a 'hareem'

Sawdust Thu 19-Sep-13 21:43:40

Sorry for the slight hyjack.....

70isalimitnotatarget - I have never bathed my pis, or noticed any need to. They're girls - am I meant to be bathing them?

Some people reckon you should bath them every two months shock but that can't be good for their skin.

Boars don't pass the "sniff test" though (my little GP2 used to get quite unpalateable, but he didn't have much of a greasespot)

I haven't washed GP3. Still working up to that one.

If mine are a bit dry skinned and scratchy then I might treat them to a Manuka and Neem. Sometimes the hay is dry and dusty and their fur just seems a bit manky.

It would be so much easier to hang them by the paws to the washing line and beat the dust out with a carpet beater.
Probably not entirely legal though <<sigh>>

Is my hutch big enough for 4 fully grown GPs? I have a 2 metre hutch?

70 I laughed so hard at the thought of a GP on a washing line grin

Cavy cages recommends a minimum of 1.2 square metres .

I'm trying to work out metric to imperial (because I'm ancient grin ) .
What does that come to ?.

My two furboys have their Pighouse which is 70" x 72" (with a 'roof' on the haybox and ramp. (that they don't use)

And indoor 4'x2' night winter cage that I felt was too small for GP1 and GP3 when he was a very new baby.

Boars do need more room for sure.
And if you introduced a new pig/pigs you'd need to keep them seperate until they're quarentined and you've done the introductions.

I've never tried C&C but they should ideal for larger pig groups because you can adapt them and make two seperate areas if you needed to.

FernieB Fri 20-Sep-13 08:09:36

If your hutch is 2m x 1/2m (guessing) then you've got 1 square metre. Not sure if that's enough room for 4.

I will post a picture of our hutch!

Sawdust Fri 20-Sep-13 15:21:24

Guinea pigs on a washing line grin Thanks!

I agree that a 2m cage doesn't sound big enough on its own.

guineapiglet Fri 20-Sep-13 17:22:11

Hi all. Just to say when i had four girls we trued to give them as much rm as poss. We had a huge double storey rabbit hutch inside a 12 x 8 shed ( like you 70 still work in old money!). I partioned off top bit from bottom to give separate sleeping areas at night. During day took front off bottom bit and guineas freeranged over bottom of shed lined with lino, paper and hay bales, almost like a mini stable.shock

Door was a stable one with mesh lining to keep unwanted critters out. When it got too cold we had two large indoor runs on old carpet on tiled floor. They would freerange excitedly weeing and pooing. thank goodness for tiles but trained them to use cardboard boxes for toilets and nest stops....which mostly worked. Mucking out every day!!!

guineapiglet Fri 20-Sep-13 17:24:46

Ps four girls are lots of work but fun. Would separate them into twos at night so they had lots of space. Reunion over breakfast nnext day!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now