Finally a new piggy tomorrow - any advice greatly received.

(61 Posts)

Tomorrow i am picking up my new Piggy girl on long term loan to adopt if they bond - she is around a year old from the rescue and that all i know other than she came in a year ago from accidental re- population at a school. She is a lilac one apparently with ginger and white - im not fussy what she looks like but they are bringing one to meet me half way from the rescue that they have selected to be most likely to bond with my 6 yr old. Any tips on how to meet eachother. I have cleared out our shed now that the hutch is in, lino floored it and added a seperate corner with another hidey house igloo in it should the need space. Am mucho excited - she has no name either.

Pics are up, cant wait for dd to come in so we can have a piggy cuddle each - new pig went in her igloo, all happy then Charlie followed her in followed by a loud squeak then pigynoname came back out - love or no love? Anyway I will ease of with my piggy boreathon now grin

mignonette Fri 13-Sep-13 16:53:33

Not boring- i thought you meant the kind of pig that makes pork at first grin

I love pig threads (of the cavy variety).
It's always exciting to see a new pig join the SFA Team smile.

They'll take a while to settle noyou - you're putting two adults together so they'll need a while to 'gel'.
no-name is in a completely new environment.
Charlie is learning to accept a new pig into her house.

GP1 was a bit "Eh"? when our baby piglet arrived. He's noisy, popcorning, all over the place and now he's a teen, he's gone from scared little piglet to cheeky little devil.

(Can't believe we've had GP3 for 2 months now)

I can see your pictures now.
She's gorgeous (as is Charlie). It's good to see them eating (a positive piggie sign)

Your GP Lola looks very like my DD guinea GP1

alemci Fri 13-Sep-13 17:18:25

horrible about the returned pig. bet your ds felt like saying the gp probably thought the same about the woman's dd or is that me being naughty.

glad Matilda is settling in ok.smilesmile

mignonette Fri 13-Sep-13 17:48:48

Alemci My son was livid. Absolutely livid. He said he could barely speak to the woman and actually asked her if she was joking, he was so shocked.

Yes, ugly is as ugly does.

FernieB Fri 13-Sep-13 19:28:11

There is no such thing as an ugly pig - they are all beautiful. Can't believe that. What a lucky escape for the pig.

nonamepig looks lovely - very pretty colouring. She also looks as though she can handle herself - Charlie should watch out!

Well they have been settled in pig shed/ hutch for 2 hours now - Charlie is in the hutch in her igloo with the ramp down if she feels the need and piggynoname wavering between Sooty, Ginny and Judy at the moment) is in her igloo which is on the pig floor with a kind of igloo wall height wooden wall around her which also has an arch so she too can explore if she so wishes - both pigs have a bowl of food and water in their respective areas - I did debate taking the hutch out altogether tonight so they were both in cuddling distance of each other should they so wish. I don't thing piggynoname will be so bold as to climb the ramp for a cuddle. I worry they are both cold without each other to snuggle but ive filled their igloos with hay. They are bottomless igloos so not as heat reataining I think. I am clucking about fussing about them like a newborn mother!

mignonette Fri 13-Sep-13 19:33:46

That is what my son said Fernie. They do refuse to sell animals to some people. It is not a given but these idiots slipped through the net. My son goes in at 6:30 each morning to feed/clean/medicate if necessary all the animals. He adores it and regularly has a piggy popped down his shirt as he works (when the new ones come in they sometimes need a little more comfort) or he lets them snuffle about in the nursery room (where they spend the first few days)...They are all named after people. The one called Miley Cyrus apparently has a habit or rolling over and showing her lady bits to all and sundry grin....

alemci Fri 13-Sep-13 19:34:47

absolutely all piggies are gorgeous. your ds must have been furious.

could almost imagine the poor little gp chittereing "you ain't no oil painting either luvee". to the spoilt brat (imho) dd

hope gp has been rehomedsad

i agree a piggies are gordeous - dh was a bit hmm when I said I didn't know what our new piggy was going to be like look wise - I said the same well it will be cute no matter!

mignonette Fri 13-Sep-13 19:59:18

She has been made a fuss of w/ treats and cuddles. I did joke that maybe a few sessions w/ the psychothera-pig to address any self esteem issues might be useful (sorry for appalling pun, couldn't resist it).

Let's just say her 'story' has been featured prominently on the supportive adoption cards they prepare for future owners. I must admit I do wonder why the child didn't have that instant love reaction to a small cute furry creature.

Its Sooty grin

Ahhh.
Welcome to Super Furry Animals then Sooty grin

mignonette Fri 13-Sep-13 20:46:33

Welcome Sooty. Will hopefully keep hearing of the adventures of...

Welcome Sooty grin It suits her. Beautiful ringed eyes. She reminds me of Fernie's Current Bun smile

Charlie is a lovely girl. You would never guess she is 5 years older .

FernieB Fri 13-Sep-13 21:08:23

Hi Sooty - nice name, although weirdly I was starting to like 'nonamepig' grin

grin Charlie is definitely over 6 now - I think she looks pretty awesome for her age, Sooty however, due to her colourings and bed head I think looks far more aged that a 1 yr old young thing!

Just gone to check on them, Charlie has come out of her hutch and gone down to the cornered of pen where sooty set up camp in her igloo - Charlie was in Sootys igloo and sooty was sat partially in a tube - i took the igloo out of Charlies hutch and also put it in this pen area because i felt a bit sorry for sooty and sooty ran into the igloo Charlie was in - they are both now together in one - i have closed pig shed after opening all windows and left them to it - when the sun gets round i will put them both in the run - i really want to train Sooty to be a free ranger like Charlie but worry she will run off lol - maybe its prison life from now on in - im off out with my mesh to see if i can fashion the run to attach to the wendy shed while they are leaning to love.

FernieB Sat 14-Sep-13 10:50:05

Sounds like they are at least tolerating each other at the moment. Hopefully they will be best friends soon.

fortified - she does have similar colouring to Current Bun, hopefully she will be as nice natured and gentle as he is (i.e. a complete pushover).

I had a proper good look at her this morning and a little cuddle - part of her ear looks torn with a bit missing - an old wound - maked me sad and wonder what kind of life shes had so far, she is very easily bpssed about my Charlie with still minor chasing then back to side by side munching - there out in the run now - water each, food each, igloo each. I could watch them all day grin

oh and after my cuddle I got hivey bumps all up my left arm because she had a slight nervouse scratch/scuffle as i put her down - they have faded after about 5 mins .

Do you know if Sooty had been kept with a load of other guinea-pigs or on her own/as a pair/trio?

Probably if she'd been a bonded pair pig they'd have wanted her re-homed with her cagemate (unless something happened to her cagemate)

She might have had to go from being in a huge group ( survival of the fittest. She might have been way down the pecking order)
It'll be weird for her to be in a onegrinne situation.

I've no idea what group my little boy was in - he was too old to be with his mum, so I'm hoping he was with a group of boarlettes not on his own. sad

But once they get themselves established the'll be fine.

We have two hay areas - the haybox and the trug. Usually they sleep in the haybox but seperate corners.
In the run we've got The Kids' Club - GP3 house and Adults Only - GP1 wicker house.
He sneaks in sometimes- then we see his fluffy little rump quickly reversing out as GP1 tells him "No" .

Rescue said she wasn't bonded just all chucked in together at a foster mummy who had loads too - neutered boys and girls then the night before she came to me she went to the main rescue overnight and was hoiked in with her lot so quite unsettling - I went in a bit ago and she had left the igloo she was in with Charlie and was back over other side of shed sat on the bare lino under the hutch looking all bewildered - I have shooed her back to the pen area and directed her to a igloo of her own so Charlie cant chase her out but they are still side by side - I went in after half hr and they were both still in their individual igloos - really hope they stay ther as I loaded them with hay - I feel like I have been doing a piggy return to bed type of controlled crying thing - nothing more I can do now if she comes out again and goes under the hutch that's that ive tried to make her warm and comfy.

Pop a bit of cardboard under the hutch so it's insulated if she wants to sit there.

It's all new for Charlie and Sooty (especially Sooty) so she probably wants to hide away for now.

I know that boars don't tend to cuddle so I don't mind that mine lead independant batchelor lives.
GP1 had his brother all his life now he has to get used to GP3.
But I'm really glad we got the little boy. He's a gorgeous little creature, sweet tempered but you can almost hear his brain whirring, working out his next mischief.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now