Our elderly hamster seems to be gently dying <sob>

(42 Posts)
BoffinMum Thu 29-Aug-13 13:34:52

Hasn't been eating or drinking today, not even tempted by a couple of choice almonds and the top of a bit of celery (usual favourites). Wedged himself behind the hamster wheel and is panting away and not really opening his eyes. sad

valiumredhead Fri 30-Aug-13 14:58:13

I cried for 3 days when ours died,I was soooooooo upset and I'm 'ard as nails!

expatinscotland Fri 30-Aug-13 14:53:58

We felt the same when Janet died last month. She went the same way. She was over 2 and just got slower and slower, panted away and then died in the night. A vet friend said there isn't much to be done in such a case due to her age.

She provided so much comfort to DD2 after DD1 died.

Was so sad seeing her cage empty.

We got Frances, the black Syrian hammy, a couple of weeks ago.

smile

I couldn't have a dog because they are a PITA grin.

BoffinMum Fri 30-Aug-13 14:47:47

I know, it's completely daft to be so soppy, he was only a ball of fur, but I cleaned out his cage and moved it into the garage, and miss seeing it in the kitchen and our little human to hamster interactions.

I did sneak up to the garden centre to see if they had any for sale and they do have a small female hamster in there at the moment, but I am not sure I am quite ready for all that again. I believe DH is organising a small funeral later.

This is why I can't have a dog. I would probably have a nervous breakdown. sad smile

expatinscotland Fri 30-Aug-13 09:54:37

Aw! RIP, little one.

valiumredhead Fri 30-Aug-13 09:20:15

Awwwwsad these funny little animals weedle their their way into our hearts, don't they, it's so sad when they gothanks

RippingYarns Fri 30-Aug-13 09:16:25

Sorry to see he's gone, Boffin

Take care x

BellaVita Fri 30-Aug-13 09:07:00

Oh bless him sad

That is exactly what happened to our hamster in February.

RIP little hammie sad

mignonette Fri 30-Aug-13 08:42:56

Sad news. Relieved for you all that the waiting is over. I can see how much you will miss him

Charlottehere Fri 30-Aug-13 08:39:17

Aww Boffin that's sad. Well done for giving your hammy a peaceful exit.

Sawdust Fri 30-Aug-13 08:32:24

So sorry to hear that, BoffinMum. sad

BoffinMum Fri 30-Aug-13 07:41:37

He has now died. RIP, my little furry friend.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 29-Aug-13 23:31:21

Do you put a night cover over his cage?
Might be nice to keep his cage quieter and darkened?

BoffinMum Thu 29-Aug-13 23:08:23

He was still hanging on when I went to bed but I don't think he will last the night. He has managed to lurch back to his nest area, though.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 29-Aug-13 23:01:18

He'll most likely go overnight and IMO it's kinder for them to go in their own home environment.

My little guinea-pig died in my arms last month. We'd taken him to he vets that day and they do go downhill very fast.
In the last hours (when I knew he was going) DD, his cagemate and I cuddled him quietly.
I don't begrudge taking him to the vet but TBH it was a long hot journey and it can't have been fun for either of the guineas.

valiumredhead Thu 29-Aug-13 22:20:16

I think a whiff of gas is kinder personally. I still miss our hammiesad

mignonette Thu 29-Aug-13 18:12:31

I have you all in the corner of my mind. I can imagine how very draining it must be.

BoffinMum Thu 29-Aug-13 17:59:48

DS2 keeping a tearful vigil by the cage.

This is taking quite a long time. I am emotionally drained.

Sawdust Thu 29-Aug-13 17:31:22

At least he's peaceful sad

BoffinMum Thu 29-Aug-13 15:58:06

I am confident that a trip to the vet would in fact be cruel. But I will miss the little chap and his adventures.

He is very, very quiet and still now, barely breathing.

yellowballoons Thu 29-Aug-13 15:42:37

It is sad isnt it?
I have had the dilemma before of taking a guinea pig to a vet[it would probably have not made it to the vet's] and not taking it to the vets [and died].
Horrible choice. To this day, dont know if I necessarily made the right one. On balance, if I had my time over again, I think I would have taken it.
But chances are it would have died, and I would have ended up thinking it best to have left it be.

Sounds like he is near his end. Glad you have enjoyed him.

BoffinMum Thu 29-Aug-13 15:39:59

His urine was also more concentrated that usual over the last week even though he has had plenty of access to water - he has not been drinking as much as usual - we could tell as we didn't have to top it up as often.

BoffinMum Thu 29-Aug-13 15:39:14

He has all the signs of ageing - slightly grey, bit thin, that kind of thing. However has only been doddery today - yesterday was slower than usual and did not do his daily grinding teeth down thing on the bars.

BoffinMum Thu 29-Aug-13 15:37:33

No, doesn't have wet tail I think, just old (he's over 2).

mignonette Thu 29-Aug-13 15:35:59

DS works w/ animals and wonders if it could be wet tail although says you'd probably have noticed it before?

He says to ask you -

Are the ears down? Eyes closed? Unable to walk? Can you see his bottom? If it is damp/wet or messy then it is wet tail and he needs to be taken to the Vet as V painful for Hamsters. Is there anyway you can look at his bottom?

Sorry to keep asking you all these things Boffin...

Weegiemum Thu 29-Aug-13 15:35:56

Our "last" hammy died a week ago, poor Willow. I'm not allowing any more, it's too traumatic all round (so we now "just" have a rabbit and 6 guinea pigs!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now