Our elderly hamster seems to be gently dying <sob>

(42 Posts)
BoffinMum Thu 29-Aug-13 13:34:52

Hasn't been eating or drinking today, not even tempted by a couple of choice almonds and the top of a bit of celery (usual favourites). Wedged himself behind the hamster wheel and is panting away and not really opening his eyes. sad

BoffinMum Thu 29-Aug-13 17:59:48

DS2 keeping a tearful vigil by the cage.

This is taking quite a long time. I am emotionally drained.

mignonette Thu 29-Aug-13 18:12:31

I have you all in the corner of my mind. I can imagine how very draining it must be.

valiumredhead Thu 29-Aug-13 22:20:16

I think a whiff of gas is kinder personally. I still miss our hammiesad

He'll most likely go overnight and IMO it's kinder for them to go in their own home environment.

My little guinea-pig died in my arms last month. We'd taken him to he vets that day and they do go downhill very fast.
In the last hours (when I knew he was going) DD, his cagemate and I cuddled him quietly.
I don't begrudge taking him to the vet but TBH it was a long hot journey and it can't have been fun for either of the guineas.

BoffinMum Thu 29-Aug-13 23:08:23

He was still hanging on when I went to bed but I don't think he will last the night. He has managed to lurch back to his nest area, though.

Do you put a night cover over his cage?
Might be nice to keep his cage quieter and darkened?

BoffinMum Fri 30-Aug-13 07:41:37

He has now died. RIP, my little furry friend.

Sawdust Fri 30-Aug-13 08:32:24

So sorry to hear that, BoffinMum. sad

Charlottehere Fri 30-Aug-13 08:39:17

Aww Boffin that's sad. Well done for giving your hammy a peaceful exit.

mignonette Fri 30-Aug-13 08:42:56

Sad news. Relieved for you all that the waiting is over. I can see how much you will miss him

BellaVita Fri 30-Aug-13 09:07:00

Oh bless him sad

That is exactly what happened to our hamster in February.

RIP little hammie sad

RippingYarns Fri 30-Aug-13 09:16:25

Sorry to see he's gone, Boffin

Take care x

valiumredhead Fri 30-Aug-13 09:20:15

Awwwwsad these funny little animals weedle their their way into our hearts, don't they, it's so sad when they gothanks

expatinscotland Fri 30-Aug-13 09:54:37

Aw! RIP, little one.

BoffinMum Fri 30-Aug-13 14:47:47

I know, it's completely daft to be so soppy, he was only a ball of fur, but I cleaned out his cage and moved it into the garage, and miss seeing it in the kitchen and our little human to hamster interactions.

I did sneak up to the garden centre to see if they had any for sale and they do have a small female hamster in there at the moment, but I am not sure I am quite ready for all that again. I believe DH is organising a small funeral later.

This is why I can't have a dog. I would probably have a nervous breakdown. sad smile

expatinscotland Fri 30-Aug-13 14:53:58

We felt the same when Janet died last month. She went the same way. She was over 2 and just got slower and slower, panted away and then died in the night. A vet friend said there isn't much to be done in such a case due to her age.

She provided so much comfort to DD2 after DD1 died.

Was so sad seeing her cage empty.

We got Frances, the black Syrian hammy, a couple of weeks ago.

smile

I couldn't have a dog because they are a PITA grin.

valiumredhead Fri 30-Aug-13 14:58:13

I cried for 3 days when ours died,I was soooooooo upset and I'm 'ard as nails!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now