We popped into the RSPCA today on spec to see if there were any older piggies needing new homes - there were only 2 young ones in and they wanted them to go as a pair so not suitable - £40 for the pair so dh was a bit being a tight arse! I niaevely thought asoption was free,,,,,, anyway anyone know of any potential north east piggy rescues - im after a neutered boar probably 2 + years old to go with a 6 year old or do you think we should just wait it out and get a new herd together .... Charlie just seems like she has no pazzaz left in her and hardly comes out of her hutch these days.
Hi again! Sounds like charlie is still getting lots of love and attention but is getting more sedate in her old age. It is a problem as i know yiu want her to have company but i'm not sure a neutered boar and elderly lady is a great combo.
When i was in the same predicament we made the decision to get two baby sows and integrated them slowly in with the old girl..... She loved them and it gave her a new lease of life! I would go with the new herd option if you have time and space.. The neq girls could be youngsters not just babies.
I have worked in rescues and £ 40 goes a long long way in such places. I wouldnt give my hard earned cash to p
thanks all, I know she is getting more and more sedentary your probably right if I get one I might end up with one again soon - maybe 2 youngsters is the way to go arghhhh. right I will look for 2 little girlies.
It is so sad for the remaining one when they have been used to company and you want to do the right thing for her....do hope you find a young girlie pair who will love having a mother figure!
I guess your choice does depend on whether or not you want to go through the guinea 'cycle' again. If you decide you don't, all you can do is give charlie as much tlc as poss which i know you do anyway. Good luck
oooo piggy rescue have offered me a 2 yr old boy today FOC on long trial to see how he goes and rtn if it doesn't work out- sooooooooo tempting which I know is wrong - he comes in his own cage so I could leave him in his cage for a week or so in the wendy shed where Charlie is so they can chatter for a bit hmmm hmm hmm - they said they can help with neutering which I have asked what do they mean - do it or pay for it or what ... decisions decisions, whats the chances of them being friends in time for winter to snuggle up to each other - how long does the dating game take before they can move in together?
WRT neutering (and this might sound a bit harsh) I'd have him neutered Before you let him near your piggie. Just in case they fall in love, then he dies under the knife. It's a risk with guinea-pigs and if the worst did happen at least your girl wouldn't have to go through the upset of losing another cagemate.
He'll need about 4-6 weeks to become sterile and you should keep him in quarentine for two weeks. Though TBH , I didn't quarentine my little boy because my GP1 was so fretful. OI thought - he's been checked, they are both mite treated. What's the worst that can happen? I'll deal with whatever comes our way.
The Rescue may well get a good deal with their vet so will cost less than you taking him to your regular vet. With the advantage that they'll see lots of guineas,
So if he's 'done', recovers and they meet up side-by-side, by the time he's sterile, they'll be well established. In time for winter
If you give a donation they'll be delighted. I paid market price for my pigs (what they'd cost in a PetShop if I bought them) And when I got my Rescue cat I gave them the price of a Vet Spay (she hadn't been immunised so I had to sort that) but they had a spay before rehome policy.
wow 4-6 weeks wowzers, I will wait their response, he looks a cutey <shallow>, I think the dept gets quite full mainly of cats so they are happy to ship them out on condition they may not return - they are not allowed to take any monies she said.
I wouldn't have picked GP3 on looks (in fact he's everything we said we didn't want- pink eyes, long hair/fluffy hair/ pink 'nads ) he's got pink feet and claws though, his nail cutting should be easier. But he's a lovely little chap and GP1 loves him. Which is all that matters.
Will they tell you anything about his history? If he's been alone all the time or a failed match-up? He might have been a bereaved pig left alone?
Worth a try if you like the look of him and he's healthy.(And boars are luffly )
I'm a bit at the imposed fee by some rescues. I know Battersea charges something like £150 for dogs and £60 for cats. OK it covers their vet costs for neutering and immunisations but to say they have a set fee will discourage alot of people, so these animals stay in Rescue. Though on the flip side it stops impulse and people rehoming for 'darker' purposes.
Well it appears he was a lone piggy handed in because they couldn't be bothered with him - they will pay for me to take him and be neutered then nurse him at home then introduce him when he is safe in 4-6 weeks - but if he dies under op we wont have to worry about that - alas I cant do that to a piggy so will let him go to someone who doesn't need to chop his balls off. If it had been earlier in the 6 weeks I would have been tempted but were all back at school and work on Wednesday so im going to let this little fella pass I couldn't live with another death on my hands.
Would they use their vet or ask you to find one and give you a 'neutering voucher' . If it's the latter, you'd be able to quiz them on how many GPs they neuter (I'm sure lots of vets neuter rabbits on a regular basis though all animal have different anaesthetic needs)
There are a million and one pigs on Gumtree / Preloved but mostly the sellers want money. (And I'm not talking £5. They want £20-£30 for an 8 month old. GP don't gain in value as they get older unless they are snazzy stud pigs in their 'peak' ) I would be dubious myself about Gumtree (not just because I won't pay them) but there's no back-up.I didn't dare look when we were GP3 searching.
DD wouldn't entertain having her pig done and though I'd have considered it if he was mine, I couldn't hand-on-heart say "Of course he won't die" even though we go to a Guinea-Pig Clinic. Though if GP2 had been alone, I would have neutered him and got girls. He was a submissive type. He would have struggled with a new boar. But I'd accept the risk if he didn't make it.