Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

Does anyone use sun cream on guinea white bits?

(13 Posts)
Methe Sun 09-Jun-13 18:41:36

On of my sows Mable has a slightly red ear. They've been out on the run all day and I think it might be a bit sunburnt. They've got shade and a massive wooden house thing so she could be inside if she wanted but clearly she doesn't.

Would any old sun cream be ok? She's the only one with a pink ear, and only one pink ear too!

lljkk Sun 09-Jun-13 18:46:50

I wouldn't,you've no idea if it's safe for her to ingest.

Methe Sun 09-Jun-13 18:49:59

Hmm I hadn't considered that :-/

guineapiglet Sun 09-Jun-13 19:40:38

I know how you feel Methe I used to worry about our albino girl, who had very pink parts (!) - it is a shame if your girl is slightly burned, maye you could cover the run up with some old material, curtain etc so that no sunlight gets in at midday time, but they do so love to be out soaking up the sun, its a shame... ( I know how it feels being very fair skinned, it isnt fair!)

No - don't use sun cream. A vet once explained that their skin PH is so different to ours, it could cause a reaction, be too strong etc - it is really a case of prevention rather than cure...! smile

Methe Sun 09-Jun-13 20:06:55

They have a canvas cover over half of their massive run but I could try and make it bigger They love the sunshine!

I wouldn't. I'd worry about them or any other pigs ingesting it if they groom.
Or if it melts into their eyes (I've had that myself and it stings)

Years ago I had two Himalayans and they liked the sun but instinctively stayed in shade (brown ears but pink eyes)

I worry about my Abby boar in the sun because he's jetblack and dark absorbs warmth. But they have shade so I trust them (hollow flipping laughter) to use it.

Methe Sun 09-Jun-13 20:14:03

Ive got a black one too he doesn't seem to mind the heat. I think having the wooden house keeps them cool. When it's really warm I put a wet towel draped over it and that seems to cool it down even more. Tbh they all beg to go out in the morning and they a out 12hrs a day at this time of year unless there's no-one here so ill have to investigate shading more of the run.

Methe I think you are doing all you can against sunburn for your piggies.

I know how you feel. I had a 'pet quality' chocolate dutch with one brown ear as per breed standard and one pink with freckles (bless him, poor Smartie Buttons). I think he did get a bit sunburnt because it sometimes looked a bit peely confused

Oooh Methe I just saw your link to your photo

They are luffley grin

Methe Sun 09-Jun-13 21:41:58

Thank you :-D

They are greedy little eaters .. Especially This one

grin I'll show DD the photos tomorrow she loves looking at all the piggies.

I love the guinea sitting on grass eating lions (dandelions)

DD picks choice leaves for her boys. I tell her "they are ear deep in grass. They just have to stretch their neck out to find food"

Your pig looks like they're in a contented, sun induced sprawl wink

KRITIQ Mon 10-Jun-13 23:00:13

What gorgeous piggies Methe!

I tend not to have the pigs outdoors for very long at a stretch - and I'm out with them, so if it's enough sun time for me, it's the same for them I suppose so they come in!

Mind you, they have a habit of sunbathing indoors - always finding the sunniest patch in their enclosure to flop down, and I do worry some about DBoar1's pink ears. DBoar2 was doing this yesterday. Would sunscreen designed for babies (presumably okay to be licked) be a possible option?

Aww Kritiq I remember that chilled back leg sticking position smile Old Boy used to do it. Never seen the girls do it. Maybe they are too fat for me to notice confused

Was DBoar2 aware he was having his photo taken, do you think? He looks like he's turned his head to strike a pose wink

Methe I've looked at your piggy pictures and they are all absolutely gorgeous smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now