There is a RAT in my rabbit's enclosure!

(7 Posts)
EleanorFarjeon Thu 25-Apr-13 20:18:26

Our (recently widowed) rabbit is living out his twilight years contentedly on his own.

Except he has a lodger. He was graciously sharing his dinner with him earlier. Rabbit seems totally unconcerned about this, but should I be?

He has a large 'garden' of his own with a hutch in, but he doesn't go in there much. He has a massive burrow under the hutch where he sleeps & this is where the rat has run to.

The rabbit is not catchable & in all the years we've had him, he has never let us near him. So putting him in the hutch while we shoot deal with rat is not an option. Shall I just leave them to it & hope the rat might bugger off? Or will it move its family in?

ValenciaOrange Fri 26-Apr-13 08:36:02

I would be careful about leaving them together. A rat bit our rabbit. I know it was a rat because I saw our rabbit had a bleeding ear and was acting stressed and I cleared out the shed she lived in and found the rat.

LtEveDallas Fri 26-Apr-13 09:04:18

We saw one rat under our rabbits hutch.

About 2 weeks later when DH moved the hutch so my sisters JRT could get at them we had 8.

We then moved the rabbits and DH put poison under the old hutch. We got another 4.

Meanwhile more rats moved to the new rabbit house. We have been putting poison down daily for weeks (so only the rats can get at it) and it all disappears, so I dread to think how many we have sad

One of the many problems with rabbits that I didn't know about.

You do need to try and get rid, there is no way you only have one, sorry.

EleanorFarjeon Fri 26-Apr-13 19:50:13

Oh God - re replies.

No sign of rat today.

I hate rats.

Millie2013 Fri 26-Apr-13 20:11:17

When you say "sharing his dinner", does bunny eat up his pellets at once? If not, I'd remove any he doesn't eat and offer them later, so there's no tasty food to tempt Mr rat! We had to do this, as a rat chewed his way I to our rabbit's hutch and attacked the rabbit. Nasty thing!!

I'd be worried about the Rat pee as well (they carry some nasty disease that people can get not sure if rabbits can catch it but I wouldn't take chances)

EleanorFarjeon Sat 27-Apr-13 11:52:19

No sign of rat again today. We lifted up hutch & looked in burrow too. Bun tends to knock his bowl off the tree stump it's on, so rat had been eating the bits on the ground. I'll start putting the bowl on the ground so there won't be spillages.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now