Is it true guineas like to swim ?

(10 Posts)
andrea315 Mon 04-Mar-13 19:09:16

Just that is it true or cruel.

guineapiglet Mon 04-Mar-13 19:48:22

My first guinea boy, loved to swim, but he first did it by accident by racing across the garden headlong into a large puddle....what a shock bless him, but he kept going back voluntarily so must have got a liking for it! Not sure if they are natural swimmers, but lots of folk do bathe them, so you could give it a go...?

One of my homegrowns (read accidental litter grin ) used to swim.
We didn't just lob her in the bath though, it was built up over time. She liked the water, and would go up and down for ages.
We put a folded towel at the shallow end for when she'd had enough.

Just be careful of the plug chain though. One of my hogs got their claw caught and gave herself a real scare.

The Resident Boars go googley eyed when they go near the bath

BonkeyMollocks Tue 05-Mar-13 09:34:11

LittlePig likes water ,turns into a hyper pig ... I suspect he will like to swim but the bath has never been deep enough. <makes note to try>

He just runs around in there like a lunatic, popcorns and shoves his head around - he is very happy!

He is also a water bowl digger hmm .

I always have a towel on the bottom and at the back they can pretty much have a decent standing unlike the plug end where they are up to their bellies!

BigPig hates me for bathes! He does his best rattlesnake impression and just his damn bestest to get the hell out - too bad that he is also the smelliest pig therefore needs a more through bath.....

andrea315 Tue 05-Mar-13 10:55:25

Mine will be 6 weeks old when I get them what age would you try ??

BonkeyMollocks Tue 05-Mar-13 11:01:34

I think they say not too bathe before 12 weeks ????

I had LittlePig at 5 weeks and his first bath was at 13 wks ish.

They don't have one very often, once every few months - both of mine need one now but I must get some decent shampoo!

andrea315 Tue 05-Mar-13 13:44:48

What do you wash them with ?

FernieB Tue 05-Mar-13 14:52:39

Mine are shampooed with some aloe vera small pet shampoo I got from P@H. It's a tiny bottle but as I only use a very small amount each time, it will probably last for years.

Not sure about the swimming - my boys hate bath time. It takes a lot of parsley to get them through the trauma.

We buy Gorgeous Guineas for our pigs (they do a Just For Boars one .
They have an age limit on alot of their products for 12 "wheeks" and over (they class them as 'mini-pigs' under 12 weeks)

TBH I'd only wash a baby pig if I was putting a just-left-mum-boar with a mature adult boar (otherwise the smell of fertile female might make him a bit , erm, affectionate to the baby pig)

I wash the Boys when my piggles running through his brothers pee has happened just once too often and my DD says "Cor Mum, he stinks".
Then I know he's bad grin

DizzyHoneyBee Sat 23-Mar-13 16:49:18

Boy pig hates it, girl pig loves it. I think it's personality as much as anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now