constipated male pig

(4 Posts)
alemci Fri 22-Feb-13 11:07:15

our pig is about 4 and he is starting to become constipated and make weird noises i.e. pain? We have managed to get the poo out a couple of times this week and looked on the net for advice.

It is one of those things that the older boars are prone too.

has anyone had any experience with this and any foods we should avoid?

thanks

Poor little soul, might be impaction.
Common in older, lazy slightly chubby boars. This time of year isn't good for them either,they don't seem to be doing much in the way of activity.

Is it a soft pooh that's in there or a more solid pooh? (First passing or second time round pooh?)

My GP2 (little Abby type) seems to have this issue -he's only 2.4 yo so quite young.
Most of the time, it's a soft pooh he has so we put him in the cage (or washing basket if we're cuddling them) so that he can go off and eat it quietly envy <--vom face.
If it's a firm pooh, it doesn't seem to bother him (no noise or straining but he just wafts about with it. And passes the WORST gas ever ). My DD and I get a unscented baby wipe and hoik it out.

Our GP2 has a soft pooh ,not bad as in liquid, but soft- if he has too much grass . It's difficult to manage him sometimes, though if he's had a long day out on the lawn, they'll get hay/pellets and water for supper.
I've given them banana yesterday, so I'll see if that has any side effects.
Strawberries, grass, dandelion leaves, bagged salad, naice hay.

If he's in alot of discomfort, could you give him a bath to soften the pooh and relax his bum muscles , if he's ok to bath and you can keep him warm after.
Then maybe a few drops of edible oil to massage in to loosen the pooh.
Hopefully once you clear it, then give him lots of veg and hay, he'll get his normal bowel movement back.

I did read that neutered boars are unlikely to suffer impaction. I don't know if I'd put my hogs through surgery for this alone. Have to consider the risks involved.

I'm so not looking forward to this for GP2 but I reckon that's the way the land lies sad

alemci Fri 22-Feb-13 13:22:14

thank you.

I think it is mostly the dropping type poo as opposed to the soft stuff. he loves lettuce so we gave him a piece with olive oil on today as I read that somewhere else.

he has hay to eat

the unscented baby wipe sounds a good idea.

he is quite old. I don't think i would have wanted to neuter him though as we did neuter one boar and he got ill when he was about 3.5. with not eating etc. the females seem to live longer in my experience.

Oooh I've just realised my last sentence looks like I'm planning to neuter GP2. I'm not (he'll be relived to hear) I'm just sure he's going to be a bunged up old codger in his latter years.

Hopefully your boars will pick up in the spring. I'm cutting platefuls of grass when I can and they rush past the salad plate to wolf it down.
It's a bit scabby at the moment but it might be worth getting the scissors out -and ignoring the weird looks from next door blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now