Dust allergy DS and guinea pigs?

(8 Posts)
Olgathebrickshed Sun 24-Feb-13 10:02:39

IME, animal allergies manifest themselves very quickly (within minutes!)

sparkout Sun 24-Feb-13 08:11:23

How much exposure do you reckon he'd need so we could tell? I don't know anyone with them but they have them at a local petting farm where the kids get to hold them, along with chicks, rabbits and lambs etc

Evenstar Sat 23-Feb-13 20:30:42

Could you take your DS to spend time with some guineas and see if he is OK? I have just taken two gorgeous little seven month old girl guineas they were bought by a family who then discovered that one of the children had a severe allergy. They have barely been handled as one of the younger children was scared of them, they couldn't come in the house at all as the child had such a severe reaction. It would be awful to get them and then have to rehome them after your DS has got fond of them.

My DH found out he's allergic to parsley after holding the pigs and feeding them.

Olgathebrickshed Sat 23-Feb-13 17:17:40

My DS has allergies to dogs, cats, dust, dust mites, grass, trees and nuts. We have two guineas, and he's fine with them. confused

Funnily, DD (who has no known allergies) comes out in a rash with them...

sparkout Sat 23-Feb-13 17:16:41

Thank you, have had a look at a few threads but couldn't work out whether DS would be affected as i think he was tested for pet allergies when they figured out it was dust that was bothering him

guineapiglet Fri 22-Feb-13 08:54:46

Hi there, there are lots of threads worth reading on here about allergies. It is a subject dear to my heart as my son has similar allergies and it meant our guineas could not be in contact with him- they are very allergenic creatures in their own right without the added complications of hay and dust etc they are not ideal pets for allergenic kids tbh. We ended up getting a bio orb and tetras for him in the end.

sparkout Fri 22-Feb-13 07:02:54

My son has an allergy to either dust or dust mites, and Timothy grass (so hayfever as well). I had guinea pigs as a child outside and we are thinking of getting a pet now for our DCs. does anyone know if Guine pigs would be suitable as I know they need hay so am thikning hay will cause hayfever?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now