where did you buy/get your guinea pigs from

(61 Posts)
andrea315 Sun 20-Jan-13 02:00:13

Hi we are looking at getting two little piggies and just wanted to know where people got them from and would you say boys or girls thanks

guineapiglet Mon 21-Jan-13 09:59:37

Bonkey and 70 - I was very upset reading your posts, although I used gumtree alot, I won't be any more - I had no idea they sold pets like this, and in my opinion it should be against the law.... all unwanted pets should have to go through the RSPCA and there should be funding for this, not randomly selling them on a website, without any checks etc. It does raise the question of animal welfare in general, if even the high street petshops ( we all know the one) cannot be relied upon for the highest standards of animal care. I think all legitimate rescues should be inspected and properly funded - look at all the horse/dog rescues and all the wonderful work they do on a shoestring budget.

As I get (sadly) older and wiser, I realise there are really 3 types of people : - those that really get and understand animals,( treat them equally and fairly, but also get in their heads to see what their needs are) those that really dont 'get' animals but do their best ( though sometimes their treatment of animals is often neglectful but not deliberately so if you see what I mean) , and those who just want to exploit, make money out of them and dont care how they are treated.

I loathe animal cruelty, ever since I was little I have been writing letters, campaigning, joining animal welfare groups and supporting them whenever and whenever I can, - we all have our passions and this is mine!!! Dont even start me on farm animals, ( lifelong veggie and lifetime supporter of CIWF).

<Rant over, gets off soapbox, goes to feed birds> smile

that website for "CavyHaven" (why did I click on)

Kept in a 4' cage with another GP and 2 rabbits
Found in a cardboard box with other GPs
Mum and Dad kept in a shed with ferrets

It would make a saint spit. Poor guineas. sad

BonkeyMollocks Sun 20-Jan-13 20:40:59

Oh my fucking god, one has taken a pic with the pig sat on top of a barred cage. A BARRED CAGE ! angry

<feels another ranty thread coming on>

Anyone near here Portadown/craigavon/lurgan hes free! sad

andrea315 Sun 20-Jan-13 20:39:44

Ha ha I have plenty of them they can have !!

BonkeyMollocks Sun 20-Jan-13 20:38:18

Oh crap! Gumtree drawed me in.

HOW MANY BLOODY MALES ALONE DID I FIND ON PAGE ONE? 11 ! sad

Actually they were all alone hmm .

coldinthesun Sun 20-Jan-13 20:33:36

Oh, and I find my piggies like to shit on shredded old bank statements and credit card bills.

coldinthesun Sun 20-Jan-13 20:30:14

We'e used this rescue before:
cavyhavenwinsford.weebly.com/index.html

Some of these are listed on the site that breatheslowly linked to.

The piggies there are very well looked after, and the lady is exceptional with them all. All the pigs we saw (and she showed us about 50!) were extremely friendly.

Its in Winsford, so not a million miles from you if you are in Stockport.

BonkeyMollocks Sun 20-Jan-13 20:23:02

I daren't look on gumtree.

I had a hard enough time in P@H , so close I was to bringing that boy home! I have enough grids and correx for another cage just no where to put the bloody thing actually I could find somewhere easy enough because dh would leave me! . shock

I'm not sure I have the willpower for sad photos and a fake sob story!

I would be happy to give a small amount if it was a genuine 'need to find a loving home quick' type thing but only a few £s ,but £35?!?!? Never!
I'd just have to go and pignap it!

I've been looking at guinea rescue websites today (and Gumtree) - not that I'm looking you understand.

Some of the Gumtree ones are sad some make me angry

One where the child had lost interest and the guineas needed rehomed (fair enough) But they looked a bit unkempt TBH. And the seller wanted money (included a cage)

If they are selling then sell.
But to give a sob story about "a loving home" "can't look after them- new baby/dog doesn't like them/new job, no time" - you'd pay someone to take them. Or at least give them away.
Maybe they think if money is handed over they won't end up as snake food?

One wanted £35 for a GP (can't remember why or how old) but I could get 2 new ones for that shock. No cage either.

<<Steps off soapbox. Need to chop up veg for the chaps>>

Mine don't eat paper (but my GP2 does like to shred cardboard boxes).
No staples or sellotape /plastic on the cardboard
WRT paper- nothing shiney or too much print.
I give mine old envelopes (with the window bit cut out)
brown paper
letters (printer ink I know, but mine don't eat it)

Some people shred cheap kitchen towels.
Or newspaper- but some guineas will eat newspaper.
I only use the shreddies in summer (keep a nice sealed bag in the garage)
And it's messy grin

andrea315 Sun 20-Jan-13 19:35:45

What is safe to shred?

BonkeyMollocks Sun 20-Jan-13 19:18:31

C&C

Have a look round, loads you can do with them!

FrameyMcFrame Sun 20-Jan-13 19:12:24

Can I ask, what is a C&C cage?
New to this Guinea pig lark!

I use shredded paper in summer (my GPs have their own shredder hmm ). Any guinea-safe paper goes in the confetti cut shredder. Everything else in the long strip shredder.
They can indulge their need to scuttle about digging with the paper and enough hay for that day, Then it all gets dumped.
I do daily change in summer outside (when they are out 24/7)
Daily change indoors in winter.
Outdoor in winter has a deep bed which will last 3 days (if I pick out the unsavoury bits)

Coldin being "overrun with guinea-pigs" could be Heaven or Hell. I'm convincing myself it was Heavenly grin

coldinthesun Sun 20-Jan-13 18:57:13

We do it in bulk. In part because its much cheaper and in part because we were overrun with gps and just got used to doing it that way. (Sadly most have died in the last 12 months from old age).

Horse hay and sawdust from Decathlon. WAYYYYYY cheaper than petshops and easy to get hold of. We've had a few that don't get on with sawdust so use shredded paper instead. And that all goes on newspaper. We use old cardboard boxes for flooring with the C&C cages.

We buy food in bulk from www.vetuk.co.uk - £15kg bags of Wagg Guinea Pig Crunch at £14.48 each plus £1.99 carriage. Orders over £28 are delivered free. (The fools do not charge postage by weight! They are bloody brilliant). Our lot are fussy about which brands they like. groans They like this blackcurrant and oregano feed as a treat too.

We've used vetbed before. But they peed on it all the time and it got disgusting. We also tried cat cushions. Which they also LOVED and sat on like Kings and Queens. Some of them were good with those and didn't poo or wee on them. But not all of them. We gave up in the end with all but one piggy, as he was just a spoilt brat who had us wrapped around his claw.

andrea315 Sun 20-Jan-13 18:41:35

Fab thank you all and that site is great our hunting is underway smile

derekthehamster Sun 20-Jan-13 18:06:16

Our females came from the rspca. There might be a rehoming centre near you.

You could try this website.

BonkeyMollocks Sun 20-Jan-13 18:04:10

I don't have the room to buy in bulk so I buy a bag of hay a week . I have recently discovered hay sold buy the bag that has been pulled off a big bale rather than the stuff that vacum packed. stuff.
Its lovely and its cheaper. That lasts me a week easily and my boys have one third of each cage filled as high as I can!

I get hay from The Range (I can park right outside) usually 4kg bags (about £3.99). Or Jolleys if I CBA trying to park in the town centre.
I buy 3 hay and a barley straw at a time. Mine are stored in the garage.
I use the straw (it's lovely and soft) to keep the bed springey - just at the back and sides. Then fill the haybox right up with hay.

Alot of people buy equine hay -ok if you've got storage.
Hay is really coarse this year. I've found twigs, thistles. I got some in my finger and it was flipping painful <wimp>

I'll put fleece in the 'houses' where they don't have hay.
Lakeland Limited BuddyBrush has rubber bristles so good for brushing fleece.

They have a little fleecey petbed (sort of doughnut shaped with a cushion that lifts out) They can both fit in (but that would mean sharing nicely wouldn't it boys)
Wash them in a pillowcase to stop any stray bits getting in your filter.And make sure they are rinsed really well (I use that Ecover wash for the boys' fleeces. Buy it when it's on special offer)

andrea315 Sun 20-Jan-13 17:50:26

Next question is do you get your hay and shavings from pet shops or buy in bulk ?

BonkeyMollocks Sun 20-Jan-13 17:22:39

One is in a c&c and the other is in a shop bought.

If they ever get back together then they go in one big c&c on the floor.

Both have taken up any spare space we had in the living room grin .

FrameyMcFrame Sun 20-Jan-13 17:22:11

We have a layer of cardboard and then newspaper with loads of meadow hay on top which they like burrowing inside. We have ended up changing them every few days because they're in the living room so not nice if they get smelly. I've found they poo and wee in one corner mainly.
We're planning to get an outdoor run for them when the weather improves. We usually get them out on to some towels for a run around in the evenings.
Luigi pig does this amazing jumping, almost like spring lambs jumping and frolicking in the fields!! She is the dominant one. Sometimes she chases Ginger pig around but not fighting as such. smile

BonkeyMollocks Sun 20-Jan-13 17:19:41

Make sure you by 4mm thick at least!

I got the 2mm and I had to double it up because it was too flimsy!

i think bedding is trial and error to find out what works for you.
I have tried most but this works well for me because I just roll up the newspaper everyday, clear any wet patches and replace. Nice quick and easy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now