any hope for pneumonia suffering rat?

(6 Posts)
somedayma Thu 10-Jan-13 13:41:12

she's a year and 3 months. the vet thinks she has pneumonia but my flatmate thinks she inhaled a tiny piece of cornflake as one minute she was fine, running around all happy and the next she was struggling to breathe and making weird gravelly coughing noises and dribbling sad.

the vet is almost certain it's pneumonia but either way the treatment is the same- admittance for 24 hours with antibotics and anti inflammitories.

He said her chances are 50/50 but I was hoping someone has a nice story about a fully recovered rat...?

flatmate loves her (and her sister who seems perfectly healthy) so much it's breaking her heart to have left her at the vets. I'm quite fond of them too after originally thinking they were disgusting

lljkk Fri 11-Jan-13 07:43:57

Sorry I can't give you good news. She's a fine old age for a rat, problem is that she probably has cumulative micro-level damage to her lungs that Rats are prone to, so very hard to recover. We had one that lingered for weeks but the nice thing she was she died in DS's bed, she was as comfortable as we could make her.

somedayma Fri 11-Jan-13 18:15:28

She's back from the vet today! smile. seems fine if a bit huffy and subdued. Has been sent home with antibiotics. Thanks for your reply!

lljkk Fri 11-Jan-13 19:57:37

hope she perks up!

TheSilveryTinsellyPussycat Sat 12-Jan-13 15:05:57

1 Year and 3 months is late youth/early middle age, not a fine old age. Mine all managed to live about 3 years. Then I stopped keeping them, as it hurt too much even when they died of old age, wish they had cat-type lifespan, but know this is just a wish

So glad she is well again smile

KRITIQ Sat 12-Jan-13 17:15:21

Fingers crossed for her!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now