Guinea pig wheeks the entire time hes being held but doesnt seem afraid.

(7 Posts)
happynewmind Sat 05-Jan-13 18:52:20

Its a low squeak squeak noise.
He has a companion, he doesn't like him much though.

BonkeyMollocks Sat 05-Jan-13 17:39:59

Is it a WHHEEEEEEK* or a kind on squeak squeak?

WHEEKS are normally saved for food or when a bag is rustled ...or when they are trying to find out where there are other pigs.

Squeak squeaks are usually happy 'I'm habing a nosey round' type noise.

LittlePig is my loud one, can't shut the bugger up when he starts. But he only wheeks and sings <proud> wink . BigPig will wheek for food but he likes to squeak and grunt quietly to himself a awful lot hmm .

guineapiglet Sat 05-Jan-13 16:21:21

Hi - I wondered whether he might be a singleton? -Does he have a companion at the moment? If he is, then he is basically telling you all about his day, chattering as there is noone else to tell! - They are such interactive creatures, so this is a real treat for you to be given the entire days' events as seen by your guinea! As 70 says, if he was scared he wouldnt do any of the things you mention, he would hide, so he obviously feels comfortable to talk to you - in paired guineas, there is usually a loudmouth and a quieter, cant get a word in edgeways one, who usually has a resigned look! If he his on his own, he is expressing pleasure at having some company, so maybe you might think about a pal for him??! Otherwise, as long as he is involved with you and has plenty of attention, this communication is him accepting you as his companion.

FernieB Sat 05-Jan-13 15:53:32

GP's do seem to have a very wide range of noises and my boys are certainly a lot noisier than my current bunny. My previous bunny, however, had a much wider range of noises than my GP's. She had several aggressive noises, ranging from angry squeaks and grunts right through to a 'woof' (when she did that, we knew it was time to run and hide). She also had a lot of quieter, contented noises from little squeaks and mews to a kind of quacking sound when she got excited. Current bun is almost entirely silent, but then he lives with GP's who don't let him get a word in.

This is where GPs have the advantage over other Super Furry Animals.
The others do make noise but much more limited range than piggies.
They're a bit like The Tribbles in Star Trek grin

Awww if he's taking food and sitting still, he's fine.
If he was scared he'd 'freeze' or try to hide in your sleeve.

Is it a constant background 'cooing' like a pidgeon rather than a 'wheek' ?
A wheek is more of a "Food" ."I'm here" sort of noise.

Our GP1 (the big bolshy boar) does a very self-important shriek when he's lifted, then a noise like a mobile phone confused (soft ^doodle oodle do^) constantly. Even when he's happily tucked up under someones neck, he still prattles on.

GP2 is much quieter.No squeaks or wheeks but purrs or dove-cooing.

happynewmind Sat 05-Jan-13 11:05:08

He doesn't appear scared, he sits on you knee and doesn't run, he will take food from your hand and groom himself while there so doesn't appear stressed.

Its not loud its just constant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now