Rats - please help me decide which sex to get....

(28 Posts)
juicychops Tue 01-Jan-13 15:40:06

a would like to get 2 rats in the next month or so. I think i would prefer to get 2 so that they have company, although i know this means a bigger cage.

They will get the run of the flat in the evenings once ive blocked areas where there are wires etc so will have plenty of exercise.

I am unsure what sex to get. As i want 2 is it best to get 2 males or 2 females, and is it best to get 2 from the same family or from different families.

I don't really want loads of babies to deal with so a male and female is probably not best!

any help is gratefully appreciated smile

juicychops Sun 06-Jan-13 20:37:04

thanks plentyofpets, i never really thought about getting my new babies from a breeder, so i shall defo look into that. we would have just popped along to the local pet shop

mouses Wed 09-Jan-13 14:00:42

havent read through the whole thread replies

ive had both, bucks smell musky and i needed to change them every day! they were lazy, calm and slept alot. never could get them to use the litter tray.

my does were very active, loved to run around, didnt like cuddles or being held at all. they seemed to wee out towards the wall though? not sure if any one elses do it? oh and they loved poking their poo out the bars wink

best to stretch your limits and get 3, if one passes the remaining one still has a friend.

Floralnomad Wed 09-Jan-13 14:25:27

Had both and IME get 3 and get girls , although our boys were lovely they did smell !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now