I think one of my piggy boys may be blind.

(8 Posts)
wavesgoodbye Mon 31-Dec-12 13:27:24

We haven't had him very long, I rehomed him and his brother so not entirely sure how old they are.

He was acting a little strange and I initially thought he was having a fit but when I checked on him for a cuddle he was fine but when offered food he was snatching around for it as though he couldn't see it.

guineapiglet Mon 31-Dec-12 17:12:26

Hi there, we had a blind guinea girl, we had her for about 6 months before we found out - what are your guineas colours? Does he have red eyes? Often red eyed guineas can have weak to no eyesight and they manage perfectly well - but even the good sighted ones cannot see that well to be honest, and their sense of smell is the sense they rely on most, hence the scratching around - if your guinea has an established companion, the 'blind' one will rely very heavily on him/her, but in everything else will carry on as normal - what was he doing for you to think he was having a fit?? Hope all OK now.

guineapiglet Mon 31-Dec-12 17:12:45

grin

wavesgoodbye Mon 31-Dec-12 17:25:21

Thanks for replying.

He has dark eyes.

It was just the way he was acting, can't really explain but he was moving his head from side to side rapidly.

If you hold your hand to his face does he move his head (not as is going to hit him or anything blush , just covering his eyes one at at time?)
If he does have reduced vision, his sense of smell and hearing will serve him well. And he'll be more dependant on his brother.

Is he an Abbysynian? (Rossetted) They have more eyesight problems but IIRC that's cataracts (where the eyes would appear clouded and more opaque) .

My 2 Himalayan sows when I was a child had pink eyes. They didn't let it stop them but it did affect them. Like having to go round the side of a room until they knew it well enough to go across the floor.

Keep a check on him though. As you say, it might be something completely different.
Do they tend to be competitive for food?

wavesgoodbye Mon 31-Dec-12 20:28:56

I just tried it and he didnt react at all until I was actually touching him and he was startled.

Not competitive for food.

Nothing wrong with his hearing, he a screeched when he heard food bag!

oh well just an excuse to spoil him even more hehe.

I cried loads when OB went blind in his left eye. But I think piggies have a diiferent view on life, well OB does. He was more Well that's odd, still onwards and upwards. OB did lose confidence for a couple of days. Didn't travel too far from his hutch. He moved like a ZuuZuu pet toy round the furniture whiskers touch change direction. Then he was back to his magnificent him. [Grin]

Meglet Mon 31-Dec-12 20:57:02

I had a blind guinea once. She didn't have any problems getting her fair share of food, although there were only 3 of them and I did feed them an awful lot blush.

She did tread gingerly around furniture, but she still got about and didn't hide away in their house.

She also had the loudest squeak ever smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now