Show us your furries!

(63 Posts)
KRITIQ Wed 14-Nov-12 23:59:05

Following on from the tread about Truffles the long jump pig, which meandered a bit, wouldn't it be great to see what each others' furballs look like, and hear more about them?

I posted some snaps of my two Boars on the other thread (they are my 7th and 8th pigs - succession planning is a hallmark of having boars!) But, being a proud PigMum, here are some more.

Get On Board the Pig Train!
Fun with a Tissue Box
Shhhhhh! It's a Secret!
Adventures in the Back Garden
Derp!
A Guest for Lunch

Look forward to seeing all of your little munchkins! Either link to photos here or pop them on your profile. Thanks!

funny that's what the rodentologist called him. I thought he was just a plain agouti (I thought it was the natural colour of 'wild' guineas- good for camoflague) but no, he's golden agouti <<Preen Preen>>
His tummy is golden plain like a teddy bear grin

Sleeping - I had 2 Himalayans (mum and daughter) and their eyesight was poor. They went more by smell sound. One of the sweetest (and saddest) things was when she was leading her 3 piglets round the room. Her pink eyed baby would stop, realise she was alone, shriek .Then mum would leave her two boar pigs (dark eyed) in the middle of the room and run back to her baby sow.
(They got used to this careless abandoment. We kept the female for her company)

Their eyes were clear pink/red, no clouding. But we never knew how much they could see.

guineapiglet Tue 27-Nov-12 11:26:19

I'm really sorry - didn't mean to worry you, as long as she is fit, healthy and enjoying life, it really doesn't seem to make much difference to them anyway, as they are pretty short sighted at the best of times! smile Its just that some albinos are, and we really didn't know until the vet told us - it did explain perhaps why she was a bit nervous and jumpy, ( we rescued her and her sister) possibly, but in every way she acted like the others, was the first to wheek when food appeared, and ended up being very cuddly and affectionate despite a horrible start in life. I guess her sense of smell and hearing developed more strongly, she could smell cucumber coming a mile off!

guineapiglet Tue 27-Nov-12 11:27:42

PS 70 can we have a pic of the esteemed golden tummy! It sounds adorable!!

Ah ok... I will defo ask next time... I'm about to bring them in for a cuddle and some strawberries... Half day from work has it's bonuses! smile

KRITIQ Tue 27-Nov-12 21:12:30

Sleeping and Guinea, neither pink eyed whites (they aren't true albinos) nor other pink eyed varieties are likely to be blind (and Sleeping, your piglets are just gawjus!) If you're piggies have been checked over before by a cavy savvy vet, they'd surely have pointed out any obvious concerns with vision.

I've had two pigs who've lost eyes and actually, I noticed no change at all in their behaviour. They adapted really well. I've not had a totally blind pig, but I think they too adjust very quickly to the change.

Yes, 70, our girls have gorgeous golden tummies too - I've just told dd (who is off sick) that she is cuddling a golden agouti. She is very impressed!

guineapiglet Wed 05-Dec-12 10:04:16

Ive been really enjoying looking at everyone's photos again, and have compared them to the sad looking creatures forced to pose for one of my duaghter's gp calendars, they really look very young and miserable in comparison - your pictures are much more original and they all look so well cared for and loved smile - I have to say, and I hope everyone wont be remotely offended, but the photo I would like to download, if that is OK, is the one of Kritiq's - the one called ' a guest for lunch' - do you all mind if other people have pictures of your guineas? I thought I would ask first, but I am making a calendar, and would rather have one fun photo, than one where they are all looking miserable! That photo, along with Bonkeys picture of Littlepig on Mumsnet, and 70S gorgeous black boy, make me smile whenever I see them.

We could have a brilliant idea for a fund raiser for the guinea rescue nearby - photos of our own guineas!!! Please let me know what you think. smile

I will need to post a better photo of my piggles (GP2 isn't really shown to his best advantage on that pic) .

I've got a pic on my phone and he looks like a little watervole or something.
It's his non-fatty eye side. It's really cute (but I have to keep checking he doesn't get hay in his eye)

WRT to calenders guineapiglet - my DD got a calender from P@H and one of the pigs in the photo has horribly long nails sad
My boars tend to be a bit lax with the old pedicures blush but not this bad.

70isalimitnotatarget i have a girl who is your boys double, gorgeous. I have put some pics on my profile of my 2 x 6 yr old girls, They currently reside in a hutch within the dc play shed - they have a ramp down from their hutch i open up on a day and tie back the playhouse door and they free rein. I had them outside fully until last month when we seemed to start a slug invasion bleurghhh smile

guineapiglet Thu 06-Dec-12 20:08:27

wee your girls are gorgeous and they are good ages aren't they - very jealous, they look very bright eyed and bushy tailed so to speak - some more candidates for the calendar!

Thanks smile, bit worried they are feeling the cold now they are pensioners so going through a bag a hay in record times these days!

guinea I dont mind atall smile can send you LittlePig to go with the pic if you like?

grin

KRITIQ Fri 07-Dec-12 19:44:19

Hi guineapiglet and all. I've had a cold and feeling sorry for myself and haven't been back here for a wee while. Oh yes please feel free to use any of my photos. I've actually got quite a few thousand photos already on a photosharing site which are "full size" so if you want to put something together, just send me a message and I'll send you a link. (It's just I'd prefer not to link there from here for privacy reasons.)

DBoar 1 & 2 had their Christmas "Photo Shoot" just over a week ago, before DBoar 1's hair cut. Looking at him now, you'd think the scissors hadn't touched him. Is it coz it's winter and it's growing extra fast? Anyone got a long haired pig that's the same?

Hear's the swine Christmas 2010 and 2011. (alas no snow this year, so cards won't be quite so 'seasonal' this year.)

guineapiglet Sat 08-Dec-12 12:12:52

Hi Kritiq - do hope you are feeling better, seems to be doing the rounds at the moment. Thanks for the invitation to the link, and the glorious photos of your boys in the snow - their faces are brilliant - ' please hurry up, my bits are freezing' etc! - See what I mean about how our own photos are much more interesting and less posed and cruel than some of the cards/calendars on offer. I am afraid I am such a dinosaur technophobe that I would not know how to make a MN calendar of our own, but I think it would be a brilliant way of raising funds for guinea rescues.......

Over the holidays I hope to go and visit Wheek and Squeak, a Guinea pig rescue recommended by another gp owner on one of these threads - thank you for this info, would love for you all to have a look at it, aren't they doing brilliant work? Im sure there must be one of these in each county, so it would be good if any of you who know of anywhere guinea friendly could list it. Also love the info they give about caring for the guineapigs, the commitment etc, very useful. Will give some feedback, am slightly reluctant in some ways as I KNOW I will want to adopt them all. But am hopeful it will be useful in the future< rubs hands and plots to try and encourage family to get more guineas!>

Oh I just saw this, this is my guinea pig smile

Looking serious

Face on

guineapiglet Thu 13-Dec-12 18:30:34

Oh what a sweetie - Im very partial to ginger guineas with pink ears, and this one is very unique with the white markings, do tell more, age, name, etc, - what a lovely face this guinea has.....another candidate for the calendar I reckon!

I have just bought LittlePig a Christmas pud house grin

Pics to follow when the little blighter plucks up enough courage to get in it! !

Before anyone says anything about favouritism....BigPig would hate me forever if I did this to him! He had a extra bunch of parsley that he doesn't have to dig out from said pud like LittlePig who hasn't....yet .

Well, after rumbling and wiggling his arse off....he's in and popcorning like theres no tomorrow grin

Pig in a Pud

Hope this works! Can't get bloody yahoo to work!

bluebump Fri 14-Dec-12 21:51:46

My two should be on my profile, they are Dora and Diego (both girls). Dora is the sandy colour one and Diego the browner one. Diego has a cool spiky line of fur down his whole back and Dora has longer softer fur.

guineapiglet Sat 15-Dec-12 14:51:00

What a pair of sweeties they are, love the little faces peeking out. Love the crest as well, lots of my girls had crests, they are lovely to stroke and groom and give them a kind of ruffled look, a just got out of hay look..... more additions for our calendar I think!

guineapiglet Sat 15-Dec-12 14:51:52

PS Bonkey, Little Pig will have to be the December pin up in that pudding, he looks well at home!

KRITIQ Sun 16-Dec-12 20:47:34

Oh I am partial to a ginger piggie! Oh, and the pig in the pud is just great!

I'm all excited as we're going to have a pair of lady pigs joining us over the holidays. Watch this space for new snaps!

I'm not very knowledgible about computers but I've managed to work out how to load up photo to my laptop my new toy for Christmas and now I've put a picture on my profile page.

The photo is of Old Boy, taken this morning. I thought you would like to put the furry face to the name grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now