I'm addicted to codeine

(7 Posts)
AshamedToAdmitIt Wed 31-Aug-16 22:42:40

I was prescribed it a couple of years ago for a legitimate condition. I've had it in the past & used it more than I needed to, but it's getting worse. I'd like to blame my surgery for signing off the prescriptions each time but I know it's my responsibility.

I'm having a rough time of late & am really relying on the lovely floaty feeling to get through the really shit times. And yes, am taking more than I should. I know it's harming me, I know it's dangerous, but I can't seem to stop it. My children deserve better. But I'm too ashamed to admit it in real life, even to DH (who must know!)

123therearenomoreusernames Wed 31-Aug-16 22:48:34

Try this http://www.codeinefree.org.uk/

bikerlou Wed 31-Aug-16 22:54:59

It's a common problem Ashamed, I've been there - hard times, pop a few pills. GPs don't really care.
You have to decide to come off them when you are ready and don't even think about doing cold turkey, it's horrible.
It's a good idea to stop as you can eventually do untold damage to your liver and kidneys.
I'd reduce by quarter to half a tablet a week - slowly. Take the new dose for 2 weeks then reduce a tiny bit again.
With dihydrocodeine which I was taking for chronic back pain I'd reduce by a tiny bit each week until they were gone. When they were gone I always had a cross stitch on the go to take my mind off it.
Don't feel ashamed to call narcotics anonymous for support, you don't have to be on heroine to be welcome there.

AshamedToAdmitIt Wed 31-Aug-16 23:02:53

It's the embarrassment that's getting me. I feel like such a failure for getting addicted to painkillers. And it's the very last thing my family need right now. Can I do this without support?

Andante58 Wed 31-Aug-16 23:13:18

Please don't be embarrassed or feel a failure! There are many people addicted to codeine. As bikerlou suggested, get in touch with Narcotic Anonymous where you can get help.
If you go to a meeting, try to look for the similarities rather than the differences when listening to people sharing.
I could be wrong, but I think the withdrawals from codeine are less bad than those from heroine or Tramadol. They last a few days but then you will feel ok again.
Are you taking pure codeine, or codeine mixed with paracetamol or ibroprofen?
There is treatment available, and admitting the problem is the first step.
Lots of love, and please don't think you are a failure.

MaryAll Fri 02-Sep-16 08:02:07

Try to reduce it little by little - that will give you some control and return your confidence in yourself. Start this Monday!

iamapixiebutnotaniceone Wed 21-Sep-16 09:47:28

I'm right here with you! I literally could have written this myself!
Sorry for the essay here but, I have been taking codeine and paracetamol since last January for back pain after having my third baby. Now my back hurts (it has since the middle of my first pregnancy 7 years ago) but paracetamol would probably suffice.
I got a note in my last prescription that said no more to be prescribed unless I see my GP for review.
I know if I can't convince myself that I need them, I don't want the embarrassment of trying to convince my GP that I need them. PLUS I don't WANT them. They make me a very lazy mother.
I was taking the full 8 30mg tablets every day. When I saw that note my stomach flipped and I panicked. That tells me I need to stop!
Over the last few days I have taken less, yesterday I only took 1 in the morning as that is when my back pain is worst and one in the evening that I probably could have done without. Today I have taken one this morning and don't intend on taking anymore today. My stomach feels dodgy and I'll feel achey for a few days but I have to do it. I hope not to take anymore tomorrow either but the thought of that scares me because it's going to really test my willpower when I could just take them and feel physically better.
Bottom line is I don't want to take them anymore, I know the main reason I take them is because I enjoy the haze and they take the edge off the stress and stop me from feeling so anxious. I'm going to have to find a new way of dealing with that. I'm sorry for jumping on your post, I did come on here intending to start a new thread! I suppose I just wanted you to know that you are not alone!
How many are you taking each day now? If you don't mind me asking xflowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now