What do you wear at work if you are a size 18?

(9 Posts)
slug Fri 15-Feb-13 12:09:16

Am a size 18 and occasionally need fairly flexible clothes (for crawling around under desks). My work wardrobe consists of:

These skirts in knee length
Long sleeved T shirts from Uniqulo
This type of jersey
Opaque tights
Knee high boots which I get from Dup boots so they fit my calves
This sort of dress
I also have a couple of the less outrageous items from here
For days when I want to be a bit dressier I have this and this one
In summer I wear this kind of shape

My rules for buying dresses are they must have 3 of the following:
Sleeves
Not need ironing
Pockets
Be on sale

Cheshireblue Fri 15-Feb-13 11:37:28

You could also try Boden. I am a size 20 and on the short side!! I live their jersey dresses - so flattering and there are always good offers on

WhiteHairReally Wed 13-Feb-13 20:46:59

Firm jersey mock wrap or fixed crossover dresses. Artigiano* are well know for theirs although recently they've tried a bit too hard to change a good basic shape. Pure* have one currently in red (maybe not) and, yep, black. Team this with a jacket that nips in at the waist (it doesn't have to do up to give the illusion of doing this! I'm outing myself here as this is my 'uniform' for work. Brighter or toning cami underneath/opaque tights in same colour - if your ankles are OK. Pashmina/scarf in toning colour. Necklace/ bracelet to 'lift' and you're good to go. Don't have to think too hard in the mornings either. I'm sure my DH spends more time considering his outfit than I do.

* both mail order so no hate inducing shopping either! Yah!

WhiteHairReally Wed 13-Feb-13 20:46:25

Firm jersey mock wrap or fixed crossover dresses. Artigiano* are well know for theirs although recently they've tried a bit too hard to change a good basic shape. Pure* have one currently in red (maybe not) and, yep, black. Team this with a jacket that nips in at the waist (it doesn't have to do up to give the illusion of doing this! I'm outing myself here as this is my 'uniform' for work. Brighter or toning cami underneath/opaque tights in same colour - if your ankles are OK. Pashmina/scarf in toning colour. Necklace/ bracelet to 'lift' and you're good to go. Don't have to think too hard in the mornings either. I'm sure my DH spends more time considering his outfit than I do.

* both mail order so no hate inducing shopping either! Yah!

WhiteHairReally Wed 13-Feb-13 20:38:31

Firm jersey crossover dresses eg Artigiano or Pure (both mail order, so no horrible hate inducing shopping involved) teamed with a jacket.

I'm outing myself here as this is my 'uniform' for work. Dresses usually black or navy. Jackets slightly more colourful. Team with camis under dress in contrasting colour / opaque tights. Necklaces and bracelets. Pashminas in toning colours. Done.

WeWishYouAMerryNameChange Fri 04-Jan-13 08:30:43

I'm a size 18, and get a lot of positive comments about what I wear. Tbh though I don't think it's necessarily size though that determines what suits you (obviously I'm never going to look good in hotpants and a halter neck top) but your shape. I'm in proportion and have a good waist so I wear a lot of dresses.

For work I generally wear dresses (recently bought this one www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10001_10001_038010780647_-1?breadcrumb=Home%7EDesigners%7EWomen%7EDresses which I wear with a black cardigan) or skirts and a jumper (either straight or a-line that sit just above the knee). I avoid shirts, which usually gape around my bust or are way to big and t-shirts (unless they're quite thick) as they cling to the bad bits.

At the weekends my skirts may get a bit shorter and I have just recently bought a pair of jeans (after not wearing trousers for nearly 20 years!)

I have always wore a lot of black, but have tried to get away from it a bit. I'd say the main colours I wear now are navy or grey.

Most of all though accessories are your friend. Go into shops that you wouldn't normally and you can get some great jewellry/scarves/shoes

DottyDot Thu 03-Jan-13 09:53:48

Well I'm a size 18 (16 on the bottom when I haven't put half a stone on over Christmas hmm) and I work in an office where I have to be relatively smart. Today I'm wearing a black stretchy skirt (elasticated waistbands are my friend) with a black t-shirt and a stripey cardi over from Fatface that ties in at the waist.

Hmm - a bit black myself today! but I often wear black and white or I have a bright pink cardi that I'll put over a black dress/plain skirt and top.

Plus black trousers from Primark are fab and I'll wear blouses on top - long but colourful.

I get the most compliments when I wear dresses but I don't have many - my favourite is a dark purple dress from Debenhams that always gets nice comments - anything from Rocha John Rocha at Debs is fab - well cut and 'generous' grin

BloominMarvellous Thu 03-Jan-13 09:49:40

Anybody? sad

BloominMarvellous Thu 03-Jan-13 09:04:26

I am struggling with being this size. It makes it worse when I end up wearing a lot of black and I don't feel smart at all.

What smart/casual clothes suit the larger person?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now