Please help my face! GROSS DERMATOLOGICAL DETAILS INCLUDED

(87 Posts)
JodieHarsh Fri 07-Sep-12 10:53:44

(This prompted by the Liz earle thread and the fact I can't face the mirror these days)

I really really want to know if anyone suffers from the same skin problems I do, and what they use - so please bear with the grim details. I did look it up on Google but nothing was forthcoming apart from smallpox

I basically have nice skin, in the sense of small pores, not too greasy, no patches, even tone etc. etc.

But I am very, very prone to a particular sort of spot which seems to be related to sensitive skin.

In 32 years I have tried everything from Clinique and Liz Earle through to Simple, Clearasil, old fashioned cold cream, rosewater toner and oil cleansing, and nothing really seems to help, although I have figured out that I cannot use anything harsh (I can't even exfoliate, even if it says 'sensitive' on the bottle).

But the thing is I get the WEIRDEST spots. I either get a normal pimple or a tiny whitehead usually prompted by cream or make up. Then it gets infected. It heals. THEN, right, this is the gross bit - it won't heal properly because inside is a tiny little hard white ball or plug. The skin won't close over it, so it gets very red and irritated and flaky, and itches like anything - you can see a kind of hole with a white thing lurking in it. This can go on for about three or four weeks.

The only thing that will make it heal is if I literally dig and pick at it until the little plug comes out, and then it will heal over. But by that stage it will be a seriously inflamed bright red often bleeding patch, and takes ages to scab over and heal, and then leaves a scar sad

At the moment I am sporting an English Rose complexion (I am quite fair) marred by about 9 very, very bright red scars and scabs.

Does anyone else get this? How can I stop these plug things forming? Is it scar tissue? I can't afford a dermatologist btw, or I'd be there like a shot!

HazeltheMcWitch Fri 07-Sep-12 12:33:51

post creme = spot cream! blush

You're like me, aren't you, you buy ALL the lotions and potions to find the Miracle Cure?!

Deux Fri 07-Sep-12 12:36:35

Meant to say, I'm also taking other supplements. Magnesium, zinc and Spatone iron, b complex. And good quality prenatal vits that I had left over since having DD. I did read that prenatal vits are particularly good for hair and nails.

It's a bit belt and braces.

HazeltheMcWitch Fri 07-Sep-12 12:37:30

NB if it is millia, DEF don't pick at them, and only do the hot flannel/sterilised needle if you can resist picking any more. Millia are just keratin blobs as Deux says, so by picking, you're introducing bacteria etc under the skin and Making It Worse.

JodieHarsh Fri 07-Sep-12 12:38:52

Oh Deux thank you SO much for posting that - you have described exactly what seems to be happening. I don't suppose you have a link to the website?

Also. I have a severe Vit D deficiency. I am supposed to take a very high dose supplement but never seem to remember blush. That's quite a coincidence....

Am rubbing my hands at thought of hot flannel and needle fun, though know from past experience that in my case I'll end up with a great big boil because I will pick it

Sorry HazelI should have been able to work that out!! And yes. Yes, I do! Every single pot seems to hold out the lure of Youth and Beauty hmm

JodieHarsh Fri 07-Sep-12 12:39:47

Am also Googling milia - if they are something that can also form after there has been a spot/cut (rather than something that just happens) then that deffo sounds like it...

VivaLeBeaver Fri 07-Sep-12 12:41:07

I have two weird spots on my face that I've had for years. They're both like hard, red lumps. The surface is a bit scabby without been a scab, so unsure if this is excess keratin.

I then get a hair in the middle of it which can't break through the hard scab and the whole thing gets bigger, redder and itchy. I have to pick at it and then tweeze a massive long hair out. Then it properly scabs. Kind of dies down and then builds back up over the next few weeks.

Does anyone know if a dermatologist could sort that sort of thing out?

squoosh Fri 07-Sep-12 12:42:20

Wow. I love the breadth of knowledge that you can tap into on MN. The folliculitis/ant fungal shampoo thing is fascinating.

JodieHarsh Fri 07-Sep-12 12:47:08

Viva it sounds like that's related to an ingrowing hair - what about having it zapped at the root, like people do for permanent facial hair removal??

Disclaimer: don't know anything about this stuff.

JodieHarsh Fri 07-Sep-12 12:49:37

I reckon I have Hyperkeratinization

<proud>

SoggySummer Fri 07-Sep-12 12:50:03

Do you exfoliate?

You should be exfoliating once a week with a gentle exfoliator if you have sensitive skin.

The other thing you may consider is introducing steaming into your skin care routine. This may soften the little white plugs, open up your pores so they can come out more easily???

valiumredhead Fri 07-Sep-12 12:52:22

I can get Millia out without so much as a tinge of redness <expert>

VivaLeBeaver Fri 07-Sep-12 12:52:25

I'm not sure they'd be able to zap the hair through the hard, scabby surface?

Deux Fri 07-Sep-12 12:52:32

Jodie, I had a quick look for the Nizoral link but couldn't find it. I need to get DDs lunch so I'll have a did around later.

There are some vids on you tube on how to remove milia. If you can see the white bit clearly and the skin isn't inflamed , you kind of slide a sterilised needle into the top of the milia horizontally and pull the needle up. So don't go in from the top. The milia plug has a layer of skin over it so you need to remove that layer first. Then you kind of hook out the little plug

Nothing like a bit of DIY surgery!

One other thing. When I was a teenager my mum went to the chemist complaining about what I now realise were milia on her eye socket. The chemist rummaged around in the back of the shop and came out with a brown pot containing a cream. Turns out it was actually aqueous cream and my mum hailed it a wonder cream. Haven't tried it myself to treat milia.

Pinot Fri 07-Sep-12 12:54:07

babies get milia very often - you're told not to pick, but if you do, they come out like tiny white hard balls. Almost like seeds.

Would the flexitol cream used for KP be any good?

I shall not tell you that my husband (then DP) had tiny white balls appear a month or so after we'd come back from Kenya. And I will not tell you that they turned out to be tsutsu fly eggs from where a naughty fly had buried under his skin to have her babies. A part of my DH's butt is, as I type, floating in formaldehyde at St Georges Hospital in Tooting, in the Tropical Disease Dept. True story.

OhThisIsJustGrape Fri 07-Sep-12 12:54:40

Don't pick at them! That's the most important thing - picking/squeezing/digging etc WILL lead to scarring.

You say that you're seeking help with fertility issues, have you been tested for PCOS? My skin used to be terrible and I was diagnosed with PCOS, acne was my only symptom apart from being unable to conceive.

Definitely ask for a referral to a derm, you'll be able to see one of the NHS for sure. If your gp fobs you off then see another until you get referred. Acne scarring is virtually impossible to remedy if it is the pitted type so you need to act now before it reaches that point. Red marks can be faded using glycolic products.

The only thing that has cleared my skin up completely is using MD Formulations Glycolic products, Lily Lolo make up (so no longer clogging pores with liquid foundation and concealer) and Alpha H Liquid Gold. Honestly.

valiumredhead Fri 07-Sep-12 12:54:45

YY they are like tiny seeds very satisfying

Stellarella123 Fri 07-Sep-12 12:54:55

I have something that sounds the same, I have been prescribed zineryt from the doctor which has worked before but recently even that wasn't working, I googled it and got advised to buy a face wash that has no sodium laureth sulfate in it, which I got from holland and barrat heath shop, seems to have made a difference, anythings worth a try, it does sound like something isn't agreeing with your skin, I have also tried all the non comedigenic moisturisers etc which made no difference, if what I'm doing doesn't work I'm going to try the nizoral shampoo smile good luck x

JodieHarsh Fri 07-Sep-12 12:55:48

Soggy if I exfoliate my face turns into a bright red sore poorly thing with loads of bumps within the next 24 hours. I can manage a gentle buff with a flannel. And actually now you mention it I think I used to scrub with a tiny bit of caster sugar in oil - that might be worth a shot...

Laughing at acqueous cream wonder cure!!

Steaming might help the little hard white bits come out...but I must emphasise these aren't like normal milia, smooth hard bumps underneath unbroken skin - it's underneath the can where the spot was inside a perfectly round hole.

...and yep, just made myself feel really sick.

squoosh Fri 07-Sep-12 12:56:20

Pinot I nearly swallowed my tongue in horror at that story! shock

Deux Fri 07-Sep-12 12:56:28
Pinot Fri 07-Sep-12 12:57:06

It's gross isn't it?! I married him anyway <gracious>

JodieHarsh Fri 07-Sep-12 12:58:28

Pinot shock shock

Well that's my night's sleep ruined for the next week!

Sorry if I'm not responding all the very useful posts...but this is turning into a General COnfession for Crap Skin, which I quite like grin

Stella that's all really interesting...I have switched to Bare Minerals and util about 2 months ago my skin was LOADS better for not using cream makeup but not now

I have had the old scans and don't have PCOS (apparently anyway!) so I don't think that's an element, though they might be wrong of course...

Pinot Fri 07-Sep-12 13:00:26

I've always wondered if you can have PCOS without the wealth of cysts. I mean, I have terrible hormonal skin and <ahem> other symptoms but no cysts ever appear whenever I get scanned. I have all the symptoms, bar the bloody cysts.

JodieHarsh Fri 07-Sep-12 13:01:44

I've often thought that Pinot....mind you I am unhairy and don't have coarse hair/dry skin ( are they symptoms?). I think basically I am just looking for an excuse for my weight grin

OhThisIsJustGrape Fri 07-Sep-12 13:04:06

I didn't have any cysts visible on a scan of my ovaries - they then took a biopsy of my ovaries and diagnosed me that way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now