best kind of winter coat

(5 Posts)
Mumofjz Wed 05-Sep-12 16:15:27

Starting to look at the Autum/Winter range of coats and wondering what was best - a wool blend coat or a more casual padded (barbour) type of coat? Not had a woolen coat in years and can't remember if they are warm enough!

MadBusLady Fri 07-Sep-12 18:03:22

I used to think not when young but last winter hardly wore my lovely wool coat at all, it was only cold enough on a couple of days (London). Am I getting tougher or just fatter ?

dancingqueen78 Thu 27-Sep-12 19:38:13

Probably warm enough but I'd want one that's also waterproof, especially on the school run! A padded waterproof coat is probably best - I got one last year which I wore all through our wet spring and it's back out again now!

swooosh Thu 27-Sep-12 19:59:53

I haven't worn a woollen one for a while, this year I'm getting the Zara short parka in navy and this www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2209480/Millie-Mackintosh-Professor-Green-share-romantic-concert-night-out.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

EdMcDunnough Thu 27-Sep-12 20:06:49

The best sort generally is one that you feel like yourself in iyswim.

However warm it is - you can always add more layers under it. I have a wool one that's about knee length and I wear it all the time, it's quite fitted, nice neutral dark colour and I hardly even take it off in bed.

That way whatever else I am wearing I always feel fairly confident that I'm going to look acceptable when I go out.

It is warm as well, but not overly warm, you can keep it on in shops etc.

Mind you I just bought a Calvin Klein one too and feel guilty blush It's disappeared from the website as it's out of stock now - I think it said it's 100% cashmere, wondering what it will be like, how warm, waterproof etc.

I do have a Barbour jacket which is nice but I don't feel right in sporty or bright coloured coats. It's just not me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now