Decent facial products (anti-ageing, moisturising etc.) for those on a very tight budget...

(15 Posts)

Exactly what it says in the thread title...

I've really neglected the health of my skin since having DS and things have come to a head recently...I want to look and feel fit, healthy and pampered.

Being skint shouldn't be an excuse.

I'm really concerned about the lines around my mouth and crows feet...I'm not arsed about ageing but I just don't want to look and feel craggy way before my time.

Nice one Mumsnetters.

MousyMouse Tue 04-Sep-12 15:13:55

aldi and lidl do nice but cheap anti wrinkle stuff.

Lottapianos Tue 04-Sep-12 15:15:33

What sort of skin do you have - dry, sensitive, oily etc?

Have you heard of the Oil Cleansing Method? It's a way of cleansing your skin using lovely natural oily goodness instead of harsh chemicaly expensive cleansers. I started it 6 months ago and skin is the best it's ever been. And it costs pennies smile. Loads of threads about it on S&B

If you have very dry skin, there is a moisturiser called Astral that you can get in Boots/Superdrug etc for about £3 for a big tub. It's blinking marvellous and I wouldn't use any other moisturiser, summer or winter.

And I'm sorry to say that all the boring stuff really does work - lots of water, lots of sleep, lots of fruit and veg, no fags, no caffeine, no alcohol, exercise <bores self> And it's all cheap!

Mousymouse Somebody did mention the Aldi stuff being pretty good...so I will certainly have a look in there this week.

Lotta - I'm looking into this oil cleansing method as I type. I would say my skin is a bit combination...leaning towards oily around my t-zone (that's what they used to call it in Just Seventeen?) I get dry patches and spots around my mouth and chin but I think that's mainly due to poor diet and too many vino's.

And <sigh>, I SHALL be doing all the aforementioned boring stuff as well...with one night a week off for now.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Lottapianos Tue 04-Sep-12 15:33:08

OP, your skin type sounds a lot like mine. I use avocado, olive or sunflower oil every evening, and just rosewater on a bit of cotton wool in the mornings. It's all good so far - I still get the odd spot on chin but very happy overall.

The oil cleansing method sounds great. I'll definitely be trying this out.

racingheart Sun 30-Sep-12 20:28:59

bit pricier but the boots botanical range is goo, and so is Nivea Q10 when it's on 2 for 1 offer (about £6 for a pot that lastrs a month if you put it on morning & night.

I have v dry skin but Astral never worked for me. felt greasy but never seemed to sink in, so skin very tight under the grease. Olive oil rubbed in is OK if you are truly skint.

Olay Regenerist do a decent face wash for about a fiver. And their moisturiser is good but only worth it when it's on 30% or 50% off imho.

Still looking for my perfect moisturiser, so watching with interest. Can't be faffed with oil cleansing.

piratecat Mon 08-Oct-12 18:22:36

just bought some L'oreal triple active day cream, will let you know how it is. £4 in Morrisons.

I have used Boots own day cream, that's pretty good.

piratecat Tue 09-Oct-12 11:06:04

used the one i just mentioned this morning.

it's really good, really easy to apply and goes a long way. i have older dry skin, sensitive.

gonna get another pot.

madmomma Tue 06-Nov-12 18:26:16

Lisa Eldridge recommends the superdrug range called purity. I've not tried it myself, but her reccs are excellent usually. I always come back to boots time delay and nivea Q10 products too. The timedelay range was rated very highly by the beauty bible women -Josephine Fairley and I can't remember the other one.

foosty Tue 06-Nov-12 18:34:14

yy to Time Delay - the night cream is especially good

Neutrogena Face Wash is very good - it's pretty basic and straighforward but always clears my skin up when it's greasy and spotty- it's on 2 for £5 in Boots just now

Nivea Soft is a fab basic moisturiser, esp for winter. Not greasy, sinks in well

Apparently Body Shop Aloe Vera moisturiser is amazing (haven't tried it myself yet though) and it's about £4 a pot

madmomma Tue 06-Nov-12 18:59:38

yeah dh has used body shop aloe vera body butter on his face for years and swears by it

Woozley Wed 07-Nov-12 13:33:11

I use Botanics, or sometimes get more expensive stuff, say £35 for a moisturiser, but which works out cheaper as it lasts 6 months when you only need a pea sized amount.

soaccidentprone Wed 21-Nov-12 23:26:16

I use this. I ran out of my usual stuff last year, and had a broken leg and couldn't get out of the house.

So used DH's moisturiser - and have stuck with it since then. It's light, but rich and is easily absorbed into the skin. And £6.99 a tube is really good value.

They sell it in Sainsburys and Waitrose. I got a tube last month and they had 1/3 off - so mega bargain.

Previous to this I was using Origins stuff at £35 a pot, and I think this is better smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now