Help needed, which curling iron is best?

(38 Posts)
FabMum1 Tue 29-Jan-13 20:49:02

I've got shoulder length hair, which is very boring in colour and style.

I'd love for it to look wavy, not really curly and am looking for a curling iron to do it.

Can you recommend anything that'll work

Help smile

DanGleebals Tue 29-Jan-13 22:06:05

I have some fab Babyliss ones. They have a slightly rectangular shaped barrel and you just wrap sections of your hair around the barrel. I can't remember the name. Will have a look...

DanGleebals Tue 29-Jan-13 22:10:00


Hope the link works - I'm on my phone!

FabMum1 Wed 30-Jan-13 20:36:18

Oh I've never seen that before, does it work?

I'd love waves like the Victoria Secrets models, lol. I'd love their body to, but no chance

spanishring Wed 30-Jan-13 21:42:07

Yeah that oblong one. It's foolproof

DanGleebals Wed 30-Jan-13 21:56:09

Oblong, that's the word I was after grin. I love it! I am crap with hair and yet even I manage to look half decent when using these.

carmenelectra Thu 31-Jan-13 11:05:50

I have the Babyliss wand and its fantastic. Really easy to use. I have never been able to curl hair with straighteners and I haven't really tried regular tongs, but this is a piece of cake.
I can probably do my hair quicker this way than by normal drying and straightening.

My hair is long(middle back) and with a natural wave.

FabMum1 Thu 31-Jan-13 20:45:22

Carmenelectra- do you have the oblong tong or a different one?

carbondated Thu 31-Jan-13 22:12:53

also after something similar. Do NOT buy Diva Beach Wave tongs though. I got some off Amazon and although they are easy to use and the effect is lovely, they absolutely fry my hair. There's no heat control - just on and off.

FabMum1 Thu 31-Jan-13 22:59:21

I would prefer it if the tongs had an arm that clamped down

Any recommendations

ceeveebee Thu 31-Jan-13 23:04:31

Apparently GHD straighteners can be used to curl - my hair is short so I've never tried it but seen my friend do it

carmenelectra Fri 01-Feb-13 11:05:51

fabmum its literally like a wand. Its called babyliss curling wand.

I havbent tried tongs with a clamp, but I would guess more fiddly. This is really easy to use. Trust me! Its was about 25 quid.

I've got a bit of a hair curling obsession at the min. I've just bought heated rollers too.

carmenelectra Fri 01-Feb-13 11:07:29

Think the oblong one that's been mentioned I'd the babyliss waving wand. I've not tried that. That ones purple, mines like a cerise pink.

spanishring Sat 02-Feb-13 15:36:07

There is something really easy about using the oblong wand ( took me ages to remember that word!)
It gives a nice relaxed but also uniform look. Other wands can be a bit period drama and ghd s give a sort or forced curl which IMO isn't as flattering as the oblong.

DeafLeopard Sat 02-Feb-13 19:24:11

Just googled the wand to get a bigger pic of it, and it came up as £15 at Ocado if anyone shops there

FabMum1 Sun 10-Feb-13 21:07:45

Carmenelectra what rollers did you buy?

I'm still looking for the right curling wand. I have shoulder length hair and I want a curl/wave....not a tight curl. Plus would prefer it to have a camp

FabMum1 Mon 11-Feb-13 16:26:26


wickedfairy Mon 11-Feb-13 18:20:33

Marking my place, I want one!

doorbellringer Mon 11-Feb-13 20:37:51

Andrew Barton Designer Curls £70 Argos. Comes with two barrels with clamps and a wand. So you can do everything. Adjustable temp so you don't have to fry. I love them. If u just want one product get a 32mm barrel. My hair is similar length to yours and that is the perfect size for not to tight kinda boho curls/waves. Hope link works!

doorbellringer Mon 11-Feb-13 20:38:45

Sorry don't know why I typed 70 meant 27 pounds!!!!

FabMum1 Mon 11-Feb-13 21:13:05

Thanks doorbell ringer will take a look

carmenelectra Mon 11-Feb-13 23:40:37

Fabmum. They are babyliss ceramic rollers. Cost 30 pounds. Gthey are really good too and again, easy to use.
Loads of tutorial on youtube too.

I find they give more big hair than curls, but I like the effect. My hair feels so soft after using too.

FabMum1 Wed 13-Feb-13 21:24:21

So for body I need the rollers?

For curl, maybe a 3 inch+ curling tong?

carmenelectra Thu 14-Feb-13 10:47:59

Fabmum trust me, both the appliances I have suggested are really good. Perhaps get the wand first and then get the rollers another time? Obviously a lot of money to get both at once.

Then google the youtube vids, they are really good. Though you come away with serious hair envy when you realise your hair aint quite that good!

So pleased I've found this thread. I want the Babyliss wand, exactly what I need. Thanks for the link.

Wishiwasanheiress Thu 14-Feb-13 10:54:15

Ghds. I love the curls they create and stay in next day too

FabMum1 Fri 15-Feb-13 22:13:04

The prob with the baby lists wand is that it doesn't have the arm to hold my hair in place. I'll end up with burnt fingers lol

AngelaMartinLipton Fri 15-Feb-13 22:19:25

I have a babyliss wand, butt not the oblong one. I much prefer ones without an arm.

FabMum1 Fri 15-Feb-13 22:25:14

I've tried one without the arm and just kept burning myself, lol, even with the heat resistant glove on

wickedfairy Thu 21-Feb-13 14:08:50

My hair is maiming straight with a slight kink and collar bone length.

Would I be able to use the waving wand? Is my hair long enough?

I would love one but can't afford to buy it then find out my hair is too short!! Any advice gratefully received smile

wickedfairy Thu 21-Feb-13 14:09:26

Argh. "Maiming"???? I meant mainly, stupid phone...

Joey8 Thu 21-Feb-13 14:53:25

I have long hair (past my shoulders) and I have the Babyliss wand - rather than curls it makes my hair wavy, although thats probably because my hair is so long.

I actually find hair straighteners really good for curling, I find they curl my hair a lot quicker, especially as I only curl the ends. My current ones (Jolie) I got from ebay, they've been fab but are on there way out :-(

Anyone know of any good (and cheap!) alternatives?!

Joey8 Thu 21-Feb-13 16:29:15

Wickedfairy - you could definitely still use the curling wand, you will be able to make your hair into loose curls/wavy - would look great :-)

wickedfairy Thu 21-Feb-13 19:05:18

Thanks Joey, I might just get one. Just worried my hair is a little bit short... I am growing it though smile

AngelaMartinLipton Fri 22-Feb-13 08:15:34

My hair is pretty long and I can use a wand. The woman in this You Tube Video has very long hair. I find using mousse really helps.

geordiepidge Fri 22-Feb-13 08:55:32

I have the oblong Babyliss one and can't fathom it out - I just get a massive kink where the hair's gone round the edges of the wand so I end up with oblong curls! I've also got straighteners, a chunky tong and a round, tapered wand but can't work any of them.

AngelaMartinLipton Fri 22-Feb-13 11:51:03

I have a tapered wand. I wrap from the root and try to make sure the strand of hair touches the wand. My hair is long so I do it in three parts: the root - I just rub it up and down to give it lift. Secondly I do from root to the middle and the just curl the end. I use mousse when I dry my hair and then spray my hair but don't brush it.

I have to wash my hair everyday but it is supposed to be better to style if your hair isn't freshly washed - it is too shiney to keep a curl. It might be worth going to the hairdressers with a style you like and then trying to re-create it.

FabMum1 Sat 23-Feb-13 22:11:46

I've tried the tapered babyliss n didn't get n with it

That's why I want one with an arm on it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now