Why do my jeans keep falling down?

(79 Posts)
mrsflux Fri 05-Feb-10 18:35:06

Ok I have some straight leg slim fit jeans from next which when I bought them were great.
Now they keep sliding down my bum and I keep having to hoik them up! Not very stylish!
I need some new jeans SO...

Do I get a different style/ size/ brand etc to stop this happening?

Should add that I like low rise jeans as I feel like my mum when I wear trousers that sit on my actual waist.

Can you recommend anything please ladies.

cocolepew United States Fri 05-Feb-10 18:38:13

Buy a belt.

bluejeans Fri 05-Feb-10 18:47:35

Mine do this too - I blame it on my 'tummy' - a bit like when you're pregnant I have to wear things over or under it blush

AitchTwoOhOneOh Fri 05-Feb-10 18:49:36

are you an apple? i have no arse with which to keep up my jeans, and am weeble-like at the waist. i basically have to lash trousers to my body and hope for the best.

by which i mean... i will be following this thread with interest. grin

minko Fri 05-Feb-10 18:51:05

The waist band has stretched. Next jeans are a bit rubbish IME. Buy a belt.

southeastastra Fri 05-Feb-10 18:52:17

buy quite a thick belt and make sure it's leather

sasamaxx Fri 05-Feb-10 18:55:35

I think Next Jeans get saggy too - in fact most jeans do this on me so I'm watching for suggestions...

AitchTwoOhOneOh Fri 05-Feb-10 18:56:00

oh yes next jeans absolutely useless for this. i have to buy two sizes down from my usual size in there as they stretch to a ludicrous degree.

AitchTwoOhOneOh Fri 05-Feb-10 18:57:05

i took my last pair back and of course they said 'oh no modom we've never had anyone else complain' while i demonstrated a two inch difference between brand new and worn jeans.

sasamaxx Fri 05-Feb-10 18:59:21

Aitch - how do you wear them when they're new though. I thought about getting them a size too small but then I couldn't do up the button when they were new...

missorinoco Fri 05-Feb-10 19:01:03

I thought it was just me. Have given upon Next Jeans, which fall down even with a belt. Was about to give up on all jeans. Also watching this thread with interest.

GAP were quite useful when I went in saying I have no bum and a big tummy. I need jeans to stay up. They chose me jeans that fitted well, but I didn't like the styles (or prices). I'm not especially fashionable when it comes to jeans though, so fellow sufferers might want to take a wander down to GAP.

southeastastra Fri 05-Feb-10 19:02:44

i have some m and s indigo collection slim leg jeans which seem to stay up ok (with a belt)

psychomum5 Fri 05-Feb-10 19:11:16

I have this problem, but cos I have no bum or hips to speak of. I find Gap jeans are the best for me

Piffle Fri 05-Feb-10 19:12:54

no hips and no ass
I have the belly of a rum swilling, whale eating pirate, yet all my trousers I cna take off without undoing a button
Belts help a tiny bit, but I find tunics a godsend

AitchTwoOhOneOh Fri 05-Feb-10 19:31:26

yes, i never undo buttons with my jeans. i just flip them over my post-cs shelf, lolol.

don't get me wrong, sasa, i'm not buying next jeans again, but i had to wear the replacements for a week in the house while they stretched the required two inches, and of course they now have to be belted on.

i'm thinking of going back to m and s roma, i think slim fit but can't quite remember. they're from per una, which makes my teeth itch, but they have a lot of lycra.

duffpancake Fri 05-Feb-10 19:42:10

Another Humpty Dumpty here; I find Per Una are the least rubbish at staying up. Why do they make your teeth itch aitch? Is there something I should know?

AitchTwoOhOneOh Fri 05-Feb-10 19:50:57

because they have that sodding love heart on the button and are quite clearly designed for middle-aged fatties. grin

duffpancake Fri 05-Feb-10 19:55:31

Oh thank Christ it's only that. I thought you'd discovered they were woven from unfairtrade seal fur by exploited Oompa Loompa children.

mrsflux Fri 05-Feb-10 20:05:43

Belts are ok but tend to dig into my tummy and feel weird as i still haven't regained all proper sensation there yet.
I can not do m&s as they are too high waisted and as an under 50 (I'm only 28) feel like per una etc is a step in the wrong direction for me!

Where else to try?

waitingforglasto Fri 05-Feb-10 20:07:29

I swear by uniqlo and top shop jeans and none of them has ever lost their shape...

AitchTwoOhOneOh Fri 05-Feb-10 20:09:17

yes yes, but are you an APPLE? i'm only taking advice from weebles here, glasto.

waitingforglasto Fri 05-Feb-10 20:12:13

er no am more of a skinny pear...[sidles off shamefacedly]

MrsDinky Fri 05-Feb-10 20:13:40

I find the same with my Next jeans (several pairs) but other than that they fit me perfectly and look OK too, so I belt them, but I don't like the bump the belt creates under all my long jumpers and tunics. Don't actually mind them sitting low as such because they are hidden, but it makes them so long the backs get all soggy and wet walking to school.

AitchTwoOhOneOh Fri 05-Feb-10 20:19:41

be off with you, fraek. it's strictly yer red shiny fruits here.

mrsflux Sat 06-Feb-10 09:45:35

aitch i see your point but i think i am a pear. i have hips and a waist and a reasonably ok tummy.
that's a pear right????
or is it????? confused

i love my fat face jeans, i find these are the best when you can get hold of a decent style! Have to say it doesn't happen very often now days, what has happened to fat face?

ToccataAndFudge Sat 06-Feb-10 09:59:16

ahh this thread could be my saviour.

I too had the same problem as the OP.

So I went out and bought a belt (I've never owned a belt before).

I bought a "small" belt.........and it's still too blardy big - not the sort of belt I can just stick extra holes in (and besides I don't want it wrapped twice round half by body grin).

So - where I can buy a nice, but not too expensive, small belt.......without resorting to the girls clothing sections........

ToccataAndFudge Sat 06-Feb-10 10:00:43

oh I have had got 1 pair of River Island, 2 pairs of top shop, 1 matalan, and 1 pair of New Look...........same problem with ALL of them.

bellissima Sat 06-Feb-10 10:05:11

Seven jeans always 'bag on the bum' in the end, as the Aussie shop assistant in Selfridges confirmed. Tis the thinnish denim. I always end up having to belt them, and then just giving up and getting another pair. It's great in the beginning when you think ah I'm losing a bit of weight there - but nope, tis always the jeans.

darkandstormy Sat 06-Feb-10 10:30:48

agree with pifle tunics cover my whaley torso,and the fact my kecks are halfway off my backside like some on the job builder,complete with crack semi on showblush

darkandstormy Sat 06-Feb-10 10:32:52

bellisima I have heard all about these seven jeans would you reccomend I am uk size 10 but curvyish with it. How do they rate say against gap.

mrsflux Sat 06-Feb-10 11:32:41

are we searching for the holy grain of jeans then?

seems nowhere sells jeans that will stay put!!!!!

Perhaps we all need braces grin

am forever hoiking up my jeans and all my t-shirts are too short. tis very annoying.

bellissima Sat 06-Feb-10 12:46:48

darkandstormy I find myself getting more 'sevens' despite the eventual bagging, because my DH tells me that they do look much better on me. I am a size 8 (26 in the jeans) but have a definite bum. If you buy a pair, do the teenage thing and go for the size that feels a bit tight - they definitely give!

waitingforglasto Sat 06-Feb-10 13:37:31

[puts head round door] Toccata - boys H&M - they are small yet have reasonably plain and some more punky belts. [runs away again]

said Sat 06-Feb-10 15:30:29

For the apples who buy in Gap - which style do you buy? I do like Uniqlo but need a belt to reduce hoikiness

sasamaxx Sat 06-Feb-10 20:44:20

What do you call your shape where there is not much difference between your waist and your hips?
And what shop does the best jeans for said shape?

Piffle Sat 06-Feb-10 20:50:16

The best jeans are Lucky Brand... us brand sometimes on eBay. Dp got mine they called Zoe skinny and are fabby.

bluejeans Sat 06-Feb-10 21:15:01

sasa Trinny & Susannah's 12 body shapes here (sorry only link I could find was the DM!)

Pannacotta Sat 06-Feb-10 21:28:33

I am a true apple (waist measures 32" but hips only 36") and have just bought a pair of Top Shop Martha jeans which looked very nice when I tried them on.
But have yet to wear them so cant comment on whether they slide down yer bum!
I do like my Seven jeans but have to wear long tunic tops with them as they do give a bit of a muffin effect.

sasamaxx Sat 06-Feb-10 21:30:33

Thanks Bluejeans - think I'm a 'cornet' probably.

Any cornets out there, and any suggestions for this shape?

sasamaxx Sat 06-Feb-10 21:31:23

And how expensive are Seven Jeans anyway?

Pannacotta Sat 06-Feb-10 21:32:45

Authentic Seven for all mankind jeans cost around £160 ish new though you can get them for less on some webisites. You can also find them on ebay but there are lots of fakes on there....

sasamaxx Sat 06-Feb-10 21:35:18

Thanks Pannacotta!

sasamaxx Sat 06-Feb-10 21:38:22

I have a pair of Born in California jeans which are so far a pretty good fit but they are quite new - has anyone used these for a while? Do they go baggy-bummed at all?

Cheergirlxox55 Sat 14-Jan-12 03:53:45

I am so following this. All of my new jeans seem to be sliding down lately.. I was worried that I was gaining weight, which hadn't happened after checking and was so confused. Waiting to hear more! (:

Ephiny Sat 14-Jan-12 07:57:14

I've found Gap and Levi good for jeans, they do a range of styles for different shapes so you should find something to suit.

They're not the cheapest, but I think with very cheap jeans you're more likely to get the stretching and sagging leading to them slipping down, and also they're less likely to be cut properly with a waist that goes in a bit, so you either get the big gap at the back, or they slip down.

FunnyLittleFrog Sat 14-Jan-12 08:24:46

I am an apple and honestly, the only way is to go for the higher waists. Anything that sits on the waist will dig in an give a muffin top and if it sits under the waist it will fall down. Oasis Cherry jeans are brilliant - hold me in, stay up, nice and slim and don't look mummsy at all. If you wear long tops nobody sees the waist anyway. I love em!

Another Humpty Dumpty hoping for miracles here. TopShop Jamie jeans have been my best non hoikers so far.
Their Kirsten's look good but the belt loops sit where my imaginary hips are so they are bloody hopeless. If I can be arsed, I lash one of those webbing belts round the top of my muffin hmm

issimma Sat 14-Jan-12 08:40:37

New look skinnies are great for two weeks, then fall down constantly.
Heard good things about oasis jeans.

BellaVita Sat 14-Jan-12 08:45:57

Next jeans are shite.

I have two pair of French Connection slim leg jeans and they are the best I have ever worn/bought. They cost £70 a pair, but well worth it IMO. They do not fall down, do not go baggy and they still look the same shape as the first day I bought them.

redheadsunited Sat 14-Jan-12 08:53:46

I inherited this problem after having children - also happens with my pants blush. I have taken to wearing a belt pulled quite tightly and cannot consider wearing low rise jeans as I cannot keep them up!.

HouseOfCheese Sat 14-Jan-12 09:08:46

Re belts, those 70s style elastic ones with a kind of interlocking clip fastening are reasonably flat under long tops.

Meglet England Sat 14-Jan-12 09:10:01

Yes, I was fine before I had kids. Could wear any jeans, even low waisted ones stayed put.

I'm 25", 33" these days but even though I have a belt I seem spend all my time wriggling my jeans back up. Might get some high-waisted ones. It must be something to do with how my hips have changed since having DC's.

Ideally I'd like combat pants to come back, nice, comfy, elasticated + drawstring waist All Saints style combats. Wouldn't need a handbag either.

FunnyLittleFrog Sat 14-Jan-12 09:18:36

Oasis cherry are £15 in the sale in some sizes.

New Year's resolution is to avoid Next at all costs (except the bras - for some reason their 32DD fits brilliantly on me!)

nellie02 Sat 14-Jan-12 09:20:55

Aitch, I'm with you. A slim pear. My jeans fall down too, tis most annoying. Including my new jeans which fitted like a glove in the shop sad

A wide belt is the way to go, or a slightly higher waist. (but that's tricky without becoming middle aged!)

I really like Paige jeans. They are not cheap (my last pair cost £200 in 2009) but they are bloody good and last years.

ENormasSnob Sat 14-Jan-12 11:26:17

I'm a pear shape (12 - 14) and all my jeans do this too.

They did it when I was smaller too.

Have tried all sorts of brands inc next, top shop, river island etc and they all do the same.

Sparklegeek Chile Sat 14-Jan-12 11:52:54

I have had this problem til very very recently too & can't bear wearing belts (v uncomfy) so was always hoiking up & they looked crap. But thanks to the amazing Great Plains sale I now have 2 pairs that don't budge. The quality of the denim is so much better than all my usual Tesco/Asda/Next pairs too. I got one bootcut & one slim/skinny and at 5 ft 9 they are a brilliant length on me, obviously GP make for tall people! I think they were £13 & £20-odd, down from £65 so bargain bargain bargain smile

catinboots Sat 14-Jan-12 12:02:13

My muffin top pushes my jeans down.

HTH

deltawab Sat 14-Jan-12 12:21:38

Bugger! I'm an apple - i think - all tummy, no bum? and i'm always finding this problem with my jeans. I'm wearing a new pair of skinnies, from Next (where i usually get all my jeans from) and although they are comfy now,i'm beginning to think perhaps they will become loose and end up falling down, like others...... but there was no way i could've got a size 10 over my ass but a smaller size would have not accommodated my bottom/tummy, still, if they do go very loose,perhaps i should have sized down?

HotBurrito1 Sat 14-Jan-12 12:23:20

My Next and H&M jeans all do this, but my Levi's don't. Thing is, you can't tell from trying them on which ones will sag. Can't stand walking around with a saggy arse.

ForwardOcho Sat 14-Jan-12 13:11:09

I'll start by hiding behind my chair to avoid all the brickbats which will be thrown my way - BUT - Not Your Daughter's Jeans fit perfectly. I am a small hourglass, but my thighs are em cyclists thighs. I have tried Next, Gap, Topshop, Uniqlo, very expensive Current/Elliots even Boden for heaven's sake. They all stretch/fall down. I bought NDJ skinnies (which are more straight leg than skinny) and they are perfect. High waisted of course, but there is no chance of a muffin top in high waisters. Or a builders crack. And if your top comes to your hips, who knows anyway? After all, I am not 17.

CointreauVersial Sat 14-Jan-12 13:51:15

I have the gapey waistband problem on all jeans, and usually end up sewing tucks into the waistbands, but I recently bought a pair from Jasper Conran (Debenhams) and they didn't fall down (amazed).

I have also heard good things about the Levi Curve jeans (but they are mega-££ so I think a trip to the outlet store at Gunwharf Quays might be in order).

Apple? Pear? Banana? Dunno, just a regular size 10.

toboldlygo Sat 14-Jan-12 15:44:22

Old thread but the Levi Curve ID jeans are fantastic. No gaping at the waist at all, no muffin. I'm also a regular size 10 with an arse and a waist but every other pair of jeans I've ever tried gaped at the waist and showed my arse crack. I know they're expensive but I saved up for a pair each of skinny, straight and bootcut and won't need any others for ages now.

Topshop were the worst for it, tiny on the thighs and bum, three inches spare in the waistband. confused

anniewoo Sat 14-Jan-12 18:59:55

I agree. Bought Next skinny jeans and they keep sliding down. Never again!!!

HotBurrito1 Sat 14-Jan-12 19:17:39

Cointreau I bought my Levi's curve in the gunwharf shop, they were £55. The sizes were all wrong, but the assistant was helpful and I got a very good fit.

missorinoco Sat 14-Jan-12 19:26:32

Monsoon jeans are fab. Look higher waisted but I don't feel like my Mum in then. And they do petite.

Definitely the way ahead for me.

CorrieDale Sat 14-Jan-12 23:17:10

I like fcuk too. They were my go to brand until I got some citizens of all mankind jeans. I am an apple so they need a belt and an occasional hoick but they look so unbelievably good, I can overlook this. (will look again at Levis though - last pair I had were button fly 501s. Not a good look on an apple.)

CorrieDale Sun 15-Jan-12 09:02:07

Due! Citizens of humanity I mean!

House of Fraser are doing 20% Levi jeans according to their website.

SantieMaggie Sun 15-Jan-12 09:14:23

i have this problem too and have tried many brands of jeans - always thought it was just me....

the only solution i could find was to wear a belt but because of stomach scarring i tend to wear the buckle to one side. i'm a size 18 so all my tops are long enough to cover it!

VeryStressedMum Sun 15-Jan-12 10:13:02

All my trousers fall down. I'm an hourglass so what fits on the bum/thighs is huge on the waist so I wear a belt which gives a very fetching bump on my tummy and rips holes into my tops.
I also wear the the buckle to the side now.

I looked at Levis Curves jeans and think they will suit me but didn't like the price or the cut of the jeans I like a skinny flare kind of shape, which they don't do.
Maybe the bootcut, but some bootcut are more like straight leg cos the bootcut bit isn't wide enough.

Try and buy jeans in the heaviest denim you can find with minimum stretch then they shouldn't stretch too much. I have 2 pairs of Next jeans in heavy material and they are fine though they are so tiny I had to buy the size up.

Haziedoll Sun 15-Jan-12 10:22:46

Yes I'm another one who never had this problem before children. I am constantly hoiking them up, the other day I was carrying laundry up the stairs and my Jeans and knickers fell down to my ankles. blush

When I get back to my pre pregnancy weight will this problem disappear? At the moment I'm a size 14 waist and a size 10 hips. Pre pregnancy I had a 25 inch waist and 33 inch hips so always been an apple but it wasn't really a problem when I was slimmer.

Haziedoll Sun 15-Jan-12 10:24:25

I wish levi 501s would come back in fashion because they made it look like I had hips and a bum and were so comfortable.

HouseOfCheese Mon 16-Jan-12 16:02:21

I think they are making a lot of jeans in cheaper and stretchier material these days, that probably doesn't help.

I have given up and ditched the buggers - so hacked off with the permanent hitching and saggy arse (I have a saggy arse of my own, don't need my sodding clothes getting in on the act as well).

DonaAna Mon 16-Jan-12 16:15:00

I'm a skinny pear and I used to have the jeans-falling-down problem post 2 DC. Incredibly for a pear, my bum is flat to nonexistent, but my hip bones jut out = I have had major problems in finding the right jeans.
Not any more.

Solutions
1. A good leather belt in your size. Wear it.
2. Only buy midrise and highrise waists (no wonder they are called "mom waists"). Cover up with stylish draped tops if you feel too retro otherwise.
3. Forget cheap stretch denim (H&M, I'm talking to you), it will lose its shape quickly. The brands that have worked for me:
7 For All Mankind (various styles, but not the low-rise ones), Made in Heaven (Oslo), Esprit. Save up for a good pair, it's worth it. Brandalley and Yoox have 7FAM on sale, worth a look.
4. If you buy a pair that has any lycra in it, buy a pair that's a bit too tight on first wear. It will loosen up soon. I prefer jeans with 2% polyurethane or 100% cotton, they fit me a lot better and don't wear out too quickly.

dementedma Mon 16-Jan-12 20:47:04

oh, to have a pair of jeans that slide down envy
I find that the way they bite into the flubber keeps them up ok!

Janinegood Fri 31-May-13 19:13:10

Very annoyed with my perfect boot, gap jeans. They are very unflattering. After the first 30 minutes of wearing them they start to need pulling up. I bought 3 pairs at the shop,as they looked great to begin with.

I've only had them for a couple of months and I am soaking them in boiling water and putting them in the tumble dryer. To see if that helps! I can't afford an extra hundred pounds on one pair of jeans after purchasing 3 of these. I do wear a belt but these sag over my bum and looks like a knicker line but it isn't. I've even tried invisible knickers and cardboard in the jeans pockets to hide this. Lol.

Also if you have the same experience do not try oasis, or fcuk. As all had the same problem! Whoops.

I won't rush out and get any from next either following other reviews. I will try saving up for one of the others mentioned. Paige, jasper Conran or monsoon.

I've tried Levi's in the shop but they held on to my lower waist and accentuated my wobbly tummy above.

Before the kids I did wear miss sixty and they looked and fitted well. Maybe I'll try them again.
How much money do i need to spend before i get it right
The search continues...

Ohh...but I have recently bought fab shoes from north face so at least my feet look good :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now