North Face Nuptse Vest - Washing - Help Please!

(8 Posts)
chattermouse Thu 15-Oct-09 09:40:56

I have just washed my beloved nuptse vest (the sleeveless puffa looking one) and it looks all limp! The down feels like it is all clumped and lumpy inside. I guess as it's wet this is to be expected? I've hung it on a hanger but am wondering would it be better in the tumble drier? I washed as per instrnctions and it says it can be tumble dried, might this plump the feathers back up better than air dring? A very worried, I love that coat.

Has anyone washed and dried one before? Can you offer me some comforting words please...!
I am off to a babygroup now but will check in about lunchtime.

TIA

florenceuk Thu 15-Oct-09 10:31:21

yes you can tumble dry down stuff on low (maybe with one of those spiky balls to fluff it up a bit).

chattermouse Thu 15-Oct-09 15:37:00

Thanks flo for your advice. I think i will let it aid dry till tomorrow night, then if no improvement in appearance i will finish it in the tumbler on low heat. Just hope there is no shrinkgage!

Carrotfly Thu 15-Oct-09 15:41:50

Definitely tumble dry on a low setting.

I;ve got an old coat and it needs a bit of a fluff up everynow and then.

In my experience they do get thinner with age. Mines really old and I use it for the horses as it still keeeps me warm.

Lilymaid Thu 15-Oct-09 15:56:20

Nex time you wash it, use Nikwax Down Wash - and then tumble dry as suggested. Tumbledrying is the only way you'll get the filling to plump up again.

JackieNo Thu 15-Oct-09 15:59:31

This site suggests something I've seen before with washing duvets, and that's to tumble dry it with some tennis balls - they bash it about a bit, and help to fluff up the down.

chattermouse Thu 15-Oct-09 18:24:37

Thanks all! It is in the tumbler as we speak! Don't have anything ball like to put in with it so am hoping for the best. Will report back on the result later. Will get that Nikwax stuff next time.

chattermouse Fri 16-Oct-09 10:20:03

Well it is all dry at last! Thank goodness, it is fine, all puffed up and good to go grin. It did take about 3 full cycles in the tumbler though before it was back to normal. It does not seem to have shrunk at all. So thanks again to those of you who gave me the courage to tumble it!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now