So Twilight Teaser (lipstick) is back again and I bought it to recreate that 80's feeling....

(43 Posts)
Fimbo Mon 10-Aug-09 14:46:34

.... and as I was also buying other stuff I got free peacock blue eyeshadow with it. Peacock blue eyeshadow and pink lipstick definately did not transport me back to the 80's perhaps I a big perm may have helped.

Needless to say my 11 year old is delighted with them.

elsiepiddock Mon 10-Aug-09 17:39:03

Ooh Twilight Teaser! I had that lipstick (& nail varnish iirc)when I was about 13! Hideous, but I loved it!

Fimbo Mon 10-Aug-09 17:43:15

I looked like a freak.

mykiddies Thu 13-Aug-09 16:29:49

Oh I had this when I was about 18. Is it the pink/gold coloured one. Was that Rimmel? or Outdoor Girl?

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Thu 13-Aug-09 16:34:38

It's back?? OMG. Twlight Teaser lipstick with electric blue and pink eyeshadow Wasn't it made by Boots 17?

mykiddies Thu 13-Aug-09 16:41:10

Am thinking of wrong one. I remember it now - more like a lilac shade. The gold/pink one was by outdoor girl.

Fimbo Thu 13-Aug-09 16:45:40

Oh yes it is back and yes Boots 17. It's in a skinny container.

Dd can't wait for the next school disco hmm

hatwoman Thu 13-Aug-09 16:47:36

I remember Twilight teaser well. what was the pearly pink rimmel one?

and Soft Blue eyeliner

fartmeistergeneral Thu 13-Aug-09 16:50:22

I just don't think I could at 40!!! I do remember having lots of shimmery and matt coral shades.

Btw, perms are on the way back I was reliably informed by Have I Got News For You.

Fimbo Thu 13-Aug-09 16:51:17

Oooh. But mine is a skinny version for some reason.

The colour is almost like the Mumsnet TV caption header.

Fimbo Thu 13-Aug-09 16:52:33

Click the last colour on my boots link btw.

Fimbo Thu 13-Aug-09 16:53:58

Fart - I am 41 <feels ancient>> grin

fartmeistergeneral Thu 13-Aug-09 16:58:23

Remember we used to put eyeliner on the rim of eyes? That would NOT be a good look for me now!

I used to go to school proudly wearing purple eyeliner (that particular one I used to just do on the bottom lid to the half way point, not on the rim), and pink eyeshadow - Cyndi Lauper style ALL over the eye area!!! Mmmm...

Then coral or pink lipstick, also favoured purple shimmery lipstick. Mmmmmmmmmmm!

charis Thu 13-Aug-09 16:59:39

I remember a lipstck called iced cham pink from when I was ll, it may have been from avon. Everyone had it. It was not nice.

Fimbo Thu 13-Aug-09 17:03:21

Oh dear, pink eyeshadow - my mum reckoned it made me look as though I had been crying. My friend wore blue on the lids and pink in the eye socket.

I used to brush electric blue mascara into my hair.

Actually I think I should just change my posting name to freak.

fartmeistergeneral Thu 13-Aug-09 17:10:02

Fimbo no! You must remember it was acceptable in the 80s!

Electric blue mascara in the hair! Never thought of that. (too late now, obviously)

Fimbo Thu 13-Aug-09 17:33:45

LOL grin.

<waits for duster coats to come back into fashion>

hatwoman Thu 13-Aug-09 18:33:10

I never had a duster coat. sob. (aren;t those long knitted cardi-coat type things the modern version?)

does anyone else remember a colourless version of twilight teaser from Silverline at John Lewis? it had the same multi-coloured sheen effect but without the purple over/under tone. it smelled really funny.

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Thu 13-Aug-09 18:56:20

oh! I remember Iced Cham Pink Gorgeous stuff!

Also had a duster coat.

Do you remember the coloured mousse you could buy to temporarily change your hair colour to a vile orange (allegedly henna) shade? Were the modern version of Toners & Shaders. You would complete your 'do by back-combing like made and finishing with a can of either Hard Rock hairspray or Elnett.

Miss Selfridge had really cool make up too - Iron Lady lipstick was my favourite from there

muggglewump Thu 13-Aug-09 19:01:10

I loved winter wine from the Avon, and heather shimmer from boots.

God how naffgrin

Fimbo Thu 13-Aug-09 21:19:25

I remember heather shimmer too, but preferred twilight teaser. Arrgh

MrsJohnSimm- I tried the colour mousse once from memory. I had Boots own make hairspray that made your hair solid - think it was in a purple can.

Does anyone remember Sun-in? My dad wouldn't let me have it and of course I was the only person in the whole wide world who wasn't allowed. I rebelled when I was 16 and went out and got my ears pierced twice. I only did it to spite my dad and after the 6 weeks were up, took the earrings out and never wore them.

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Thu 13-Aug-09 21:30:46

Brilliant Fimbo! I used Boots own brand hairspray too - in a pink can I also used Boots own spray deoderant which was in an identical can......you can imagine the consequences of that......deoderant sprayed all over heavily backcombed hair....nice!

I coveted Sun In too but was not allowed to use it. Everyone had just their fringe dip-dyed in the stuff. And of course if you were really cool and a boy you also had a back perm Twas Mullet Central all over our school.

I also yearned to be in Bananarama - they seemed so cool <<sigh>> and so I wore black plimsoles with a skirt, leggings and an off-the-shoulder top and pranced around in my bedroom instead

Fimbo Thu 13-Aug-09 21:36:05

I think you are my 80's twin. My first serious boyfriend had the back perm thing going on, I thought he was so"kewl".

Yep did the deodrant on hair thing too and prancing to Bananarama. I liked Howard Jones and Limahl from Kajagoogoo.

Oh dear, the memories, the memories.

Jbck Thu 13-Aug-09 21:51:49

Was Sweet Sizzle not the sherbety tasting pink/gold one?

The Boots hairspray came in different strengths didn't it? I also remember one my friends mum got us from Salon Services (she was a hairdresser) and it was like spray on concrete. Enormous can and probably lasted us about a fortnight. We'll all have worn out lungs due to Kajagoogoo/Bananarama grin

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Fri 14-Aug-09 08:09:53

Fimbo.

Howard Jones was great. When I was a kid, Dale Winton was a deee-jaay on our local radio station. He once interviewed Howard Jones for all of about 30 seconds. Mr Jones stormed out, telling him to <<ahem>> 'k off when Dale asked him about the joy of making "pop music". Apparently Mr Jones didn't feel his music was Pop music. Pretentious, much??

LOL at Jbck! Yes, Boots Firm Hold was the only one to have . It gave your hair just the right brittle and crispy feel

How about Impulse? There was always at least one girl in our group at school who had a can which was passed around and liberally applied

And Constance Carroll lipgloss? OMG.

Fimbo, you weren't the only one who wasn't allowed sun in.

I loved twilight teaser.

Fimbo Fri 14-Aug-09 10:54:06

<<appoints CSWS vice president of the twilight teaser gang grin>>

I am currently wearing Impulse blush - in my defence it is my dd's.

I remember Constance Carroll well! grin

Also boots own lip gloss (why didn't they have an advantage card then, I would have earned loads of points!) in the red/clear glass tubes. They did disgusting flavours like lemon sherbert and cola. Of course at the time I thought they were wonderful.

hatwoman Fri 14-Aug-09 14:50:48

I once snogged a bloke called Kevin who had a permed gelled mullet. and, just to give you the full picture, it was at a night club called Fanny's shock grin. That was in the days before those age id-cards when if you wore high enough heels and enough make up and flirted with the bouncers you could get in aged 15. I'm guessing that doesn't happen so much now. those were the days.

Fimbo Fri 14-Aug-09 18:58:53

Ah yes hatwoman. Enough slap to pass for any age!! I used to go to a disco for £1. My friend and I used to make up micky finn's from her dad's optics.

<<hopes dd doesn't look at this thread and start getting ideas>>

Spottyotter Sun 16-Aug-09 09:32:18

Oh, what a lovely thread. Remember those horrid sticky lipglosses we all had in a glass tube with the rollerball thing that tasted of strawberry or cola. And that glitter highlighter stuff we used to put on our cheekbones? We must have looked dreadfull. I actually have no photographs of my teenage years, don't know wether to be a bit sad or a bit relieved.

I have a really great dreadful photo of me aged 15 in a strapless bustier black and silver dress with Adam Ant striped blusher, blue eyeshadow, perm, and the thickest black mascara.

I were right foxy me grin

cornsillk Sun 16-Aug-09 09:47:33

I had the Miss Selfridge Iron Lady lipstick - I loved Miss Selfridge stuff. And rooting around in Affleck's palace in MCR when it was mostly vintage. Ah memories....Didn't date anyone with a perm though. shudder

Housemum Thu 03-Sep-09 13:43:18

Iron Lady and Copper Knockers from Miss Selfridge

The pinky Rimmel was Heather Shimmer

Sigh, those were the days...

the lipglosses were by Max Factor - chocolate, cherry, mint etc.

Anyone have those bendy rollers? Polycurl I think they were - I used to spray this setting lotion stuff on my hair, sleep with bendy curlers, then wake up to take them out for a mega curly 80s style.

Hair mascara - did that. And ra ra skirts. And a duster coat (navy blue cotton, shoulder pads, sleeves rolled up)

Am in a whirl of nostalgia now...

Tortington Thu 03-Sep-09 13:44:55

i thought this was a vid about the book

<walks off>

paisleyleaf Thu 03-Sep-09 13:51:54

That's a blast from the past I wore twighlight teaser, and my best friend (who was more blonde) wore sweet sizzle.
Navy eyeliner and blue mascara. And a rainbow of eyeshadow if there was a disco.
Haha, I remember one girl (who used to get a bit carried away with all the cosmetics.....sun -in in her hair, orange fake tan, plasters on her heels from the white stiletoes) came to school one mornng and her eyebrows had gone.....whoops!

Housemum Thu 03-Sep-09 13:54:53

Custardo (if you're still there) I stumbled on this thread looking for stuff about the books...

Tortington Thu 03-Sep-09 13:58:36

phew!

potoftea Thu 03-Sep-09 14:13:10

How sad am I?
I actually got excited when I read the thread title and couldn't wait to click on it to read was it really true.
Now can someone tell me does it still smell the same? It used to have a really lovely unique smell.

herbietea Thu 03-Sep-09 14:23:54

I remember Twilight teaser, heather shimmer and iced cham pink too. I, also wore electric blue mascara and pink eyeshadow.

I can also remember a lipstic that would change colour. It either went from a bluey purple to a pink or vice versa, but we all looked like we were having a heart attack!

NoahFence Thu 03-Sep-09 14:25:52

i SAW SOME women OF 70 ODD SAYING" WELL I DO LIKE PLUM BEAUTIFUL"

GetOrfMoiLand Thu 03-Sep-09 14:31:26

Remember hours of fun with shaders and toners sachets. DD wants to buy some too change her hair to a revolting shade. Oh dear.

Ten-O-Six toner. It was probably made of industrial strength acid, it seemed to dry every pore and turn my skin to sandpaper.

Constance Carroll roll on lipglosses. Lovely smile

Coffee Shimmer (shimmery beige, gave a lovely corpse look) and Black Cherry (a very dark burgundy suitable for my goth phase), both from good ol' Rimmel.

paisleyleaf Thu 03-Sep-09 14:48:47

That nail varnish that was greyish with pink/blue in it as it moved in the light. Moonlight was it?
Oh yes shaders and toners!
That milky cleanser too....Anne French?
Pearl drops toothpaste.
Actually, with my paper round and saturday job (and living at home) I've probably never had that much money to spend on all that stuff since.

Housemum Thu 03-Sep-09 15:12:08

Ten-O-Six - never used it but wouldn't have been a good idea after Aapri facial scrub - industrial grade sandpaper!

And LipCote to keep your lipstick on

Any more awful chemical concoctions?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now