Does anyone know of a non-dodgy, pref UK, site that does good Mulberry Baywater replicas?

(39 Posts)
Hassled Sun 02-Aug-09 20:52:40

I've decided that I NEED a Mulberry Bayswater. However, I can't begin to afford one, but I can go to around £150ish.

I have spent hours online and have found sites which do quite good replicas, but they all seem dodgy as hell - no secure online payment etc. There are quite a few apparently genuine ones on ebay but I'm a bit ridiculous funny about used handbags. Is there a site out there anyone can recommend? Thank you!

baglover Sun 02-Aug-09 21:42:51

Voguebags.com but you may be redirected to their new site.Fab. USA based but bags sent from Hong Kong. Very good quality. I have about 4. Can use paypal to pay. They use good quality materials (proper leather!) and due to some legal loophole they can sell them since only replicas (mirror image at that) but your bag may get stoppped at UK customs and you may have to pay a customs charge. Most bags cost around £100-£150.

Hassled Sun 02-Aug-09 22:03:46

You're an absolute star - that looks just the job.

In the meantime I'd finally found these, but your site looks better quality, and would rather use a site someone knows.

baglover Sun 02-Aug-09 22:11:37

Shall have a look at your site! Customer service at VB good-they respond to your emails quickly and usually ship fast. Check their testimonials. Just tell them you want to pay by paypal. You can phone them too in New York. Incidentally my mum got a 'real' Bayswater in a sale for around £200 House of Fraser

csue Sun 02-Aug-09 22:22:36

Message withdrawn

baglover Sun 02-Aug-09 22:27:47

Good to know csue. Oh how I wish I was from Paris! Lucky you! I manage a weekend there every year & each time I wish I lived there! Cafe Angelina- I dream about that place! Can you recommend a good bar for cocktails? Sorry for huge thread hijack!

kylesmybaby Sun 02-Aug-09 23:14:28

vogue bags look great - going to treat myself me thinks. is it best to pay by paypal?? thanks

baglover Mon 03-Aug-09 17:22:54

Hi I think it's safer to paypal if you're initially unsure of a company. Having used vogue bags for a shocking 5 bags, cosmetic bag, wallet & 2 bags for my mum (& I'm hoping Santa will bring me another this Xmas!) I would use a credit card but paypal is so convenient & don't need to keep putting in details every time you buy. A word of warning though-that site is dangerous and addictive-once you start buying their bags you will not go back to Topshop or Accessorize or wherever else for a bag again!

jemart Mon 03-Aug-09 23:05:53

Fakes/replicas/counterfeits are illegal! and usually poor quality when compared to the real thing.

Have you considered buying from the factory outlets? they have old sale stock and factory seconds at huge discounts.

jemart Mon 03-Aug-09 23:08:42

And ebay is a good place to buy if you are careful, I got a genuine vanilla bayswater for under £200, absolutely pristine, been carried maybe twice? looks brand new to me.

Penthesileia Mon 03-Aug-09 23:16:13

Before buying a knock-off, why don't you try the outlet stores and check they don't have anything you'd be interested in for a more reasonable price:

Mulberry Outlet - York
Mulberry
23-25 Swinegate
York, YO1 8AZ
01904 611 055

Mulberry Outlet - Shepton Mallet
The Old School House
Kilver Street
Shepton Mallet
Somerset
BA4 5NF
Telephone
01749 340 583

Just call and ask what Bayswaters, if any, they have in stock. Can't hurt.

Penthesileia Mon 03-Aug-09 23:34:08

Also, if you have £150 now, why don't you save, say £30 a month, and you'll easily have enough to afford one next year in the summer sale when they're 30-50% off. Then you'd have the real thing.

I know that these designer companies make you pay ridiculous prices for their products, and are surely not saintly employers; but the fake industry isn't victimless. There is a strong moral argument against buying fakes. I know that saying this makes me sound a right old joyless cow. But it's true. Channel 4 did an interesting documentary - The Fake Trade - on this matter.

baglover Mon 03-Aug-09 23:44:13

I think the advice about checking out those designer outlets is good & as I said my mum got a Mulberry Bayswater in a sale in House of Frasers.

There is a difference between 'illegal fakes' and replica bags which do not claim to be genuine designer goods. The experience I have had is of good quality with goood materials. Depends where you buy.

strudelface Tue 04-Aug-09 07:36:10

I agree with Pentesileia - a fake is a fake is a fake whether you call it as such or not. A replica bag is still illegal - they are ripping off the design. Eventually the websites shown on this thread will be pulled when the designers' lawyers have found them - although yes they will pop up again under a different host name...

Another option for cheaper Mulberry bags is to buy at the airport and get the tax off - this is a good option for the 'classic' mulberry bags in the classic colours of black/oak/chocolate which never go on sale.

EldonAve Tue 04-Aug-09 07:43:22

Vanilla in London sells similarly styled bags

strudelface Tue 04-Aug-09 08:53:24

I'm sorry but the bags on that site are horrible - calling it a 'Bertie' (PMSL) instead of a 'Birkin' does not make it any better. If you want to learn about bags go to the purse forum - they know everything there. They will even check out an e-bay listing and tell you if it is real or not, before you bid.

There are lots of smaller brands that aren't as expensive as Mulberry - a great British brand called Belen Echandia will make a bespoke bag for you, for less than a price of a Bayswater.

pagwatch Tue 04-Aug-09 09:10:41

Russell and bromley do a decent faux/high street Bayswater and change the colours every season. Also ebay may well have the Gap bayswater from last year.
I think fakes are <<shudder>> as its like being a cut-price wag [bleeur]

jemart Tue 04-Aug-09 12:16:59

pagwatch grin
I totally agree!

anniemac Tue 04-Aug-09 12:52:19

Message withdrawn

Hassled Tue 04-Aug-09 13:27:47

Thank you everyone - I do know what you mean re not buying a fake/replica, but I have this ridiculous craving for a Bayswater - it's very odd; I'm not usually quite this materialistic. I feel like it's possessed me .

I'll ring the outlets, but am miles away from either, and will check out the other sites. Thanks again.

MrsBadger Tue 04-Aug-09 13:53:31

there is an outlet in Bicester too - here

strudelface Tue 04-Aug-09 16:28:26

The outlets will deliver within the UK.

MontyLou Sat 29-Jun-13 13:52:28

Don't use this site!

http://www.mulberryfactoryshopyork.co.uk

I ordered 2 Lily bags (black and dark brown) in a snake print. I got cheap plastic, not leather, no snake print, no key fobs and they reek of vinyl. Rude and unhelpful and won't let me send them back for a refund as they won't give me their address. The latest email from someone called roccardo Bartoli offered me a 20% refund — I've refused. I want them stopped!

Also a good indicator of bad rubbish is if they won't let you use a credit card - just Visa or PayPal. You can't easily get your money back whereas with a credit card payment it's fairly easy.

Before you buy, do a test email or contact customer services page and see if it's answered — ask them whether the bag's in stock and ask for a photo.

I've been a fool.

primallass Sat 29-Jun-13 16:52:59

Have you tried a paypal chargeback?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 29-Jun-13 16:55:48

YY. Open an dispute through PayPal or visa depending on what you used. And if the site is in the UK report to trading standards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now