is it ok to wear cream to a wedding? (as a guest)

(24 Posts)
Herecomesthesciencebint Fri 03-Jul-09 22:33:17

went out and bought a ted baker dress for a wedding tomorrow. Its white/cream fitted knee length with beaded detail on the area over the breastbone.

showed it my mate tonight who said i cant wear it to a wedding as too similar to a wedding dress.

damm! have nothing else suitable thats clean or fits!! aaarggh! was thinking of wrapping a bright coloured pashmina round but if its hot I wont want to do this.

opinions? ta

EldonAve Fri 03-Jul-09 22:36:08

do you have a link?

what shoes or bag?

cornsilk Fri 03-Jul-09 22:37:49

Unless the bride is a bridezilla you'll be fine. Just don't wear a veil!

Herecomesthesciencebint Fri 03-Jul-09 22:41:02

been trying to find it on line to show you all. bought it at john lewis but its not on their on line site.

its sleeveless with a v front neckline and then black beads in a rectangular shape over the breastbone area. fitted straight and finishes at knee.

wearing black and white shoes (sounds horrid but are lovely really) and a mock croc brown oversized clutch bag.

cornsilk Fri 03-Jul-09 22:42:25

That sounds fine. Do it.

EldonAve Fri 03-Jul-09 22:43:25

I agree, go for it

If there's some colour on it (i.e. black), then I don't think you need to worry. Enjoy smile

Herecomesthesciencebint Fri 03-Jul-09 23:10:07

ooh thanks so much. feel better about wearing it now. was really rummaging thru my wardrobe and drawing a complete blank on alternatives.

lts hope the bridesmaids arent in cream too else I might nd up on all the wedding photos!!

shhhh Sat 04-Jul-09 14:31:46

Hope you are wearing it today smile.

I went to a wedding last sunday and wore a cream French Connection dress..I sought advice from mn and got mixed opinions..

Im glad I stuck with my choice, noway could I be mixed up for the bride..ffs she had the gorgeous sparkly long dress on grin

Once sat down, our friends arrived...wearing what..? cream grin She had a cream TB dress,glad it wasn't just me..

It was only a small reception (20 ish) and there were 5 of us in cream..inc the bride.smile

I teamed the dress with gold/silver wedges, cream bag and cream feather fascinator...

Its lovely weather atm, so take advantage and wear a lovely cooling colour smile.

Hope today went well x

thumbwitch Sat 04-Jul-09 14:37:44

you should be fine, can you accessorise it with a nice non-weddingy contrasting colour, e.g. cerise? in fascinator and bag and perhaps a chiffon scarfy thing? That would make sure no one had any room to pass comment, which hopefully no one would be rude enough to do but you never know!

thumbwitch Sat 04-Jul-09 14:38:30

blush - didn't see that this started yesterday. ah well.

WesternBelle Sat 04-Jul-09 14:43:38

Went to a wedding where a guest wore a cream prom dress. She got quite a few hmm looks for it.

I wouldn't do it personally, at most I would wear cream trousers/skirt as part of an outfit with a different coloured top but never a cream dress.

The main reason is that on the photos and in the crowd it detracts from the bride in white/ivory.

isitreallythattime Sat 04-Jul-09 20:26:09

I know your wedding has been and gone now, but can i hijac this.

I have just had my outfit for a friends wedding delivered today and have been told it looks too bridal for a guest to wear.

It is the only dress i have come across and love.

Has anyone got any suggestions for making it look less bridal??

http://www.asos.com/Rainbeaux/Rainbeaux-Bow-Front-Jacquard-Dress/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?ii d=559297&cid=3656&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Cream

EldonAve Sat 04-Jul-09 21:08:55

I think you would need bright shoes and a bright bag

WesternBelle Sat 04-Jul-09 21:53:00

Here's how: detach the front bow - it's probably stitched on by a few threads, carefully unpick and you can put it back on afterwards.

Replace with a wide belt or silk scarf tied in a bow at the back. Something bright would look good ie fuschia or lime. Either that or black, plus coordinating accessories.

The advantage of lime/fuschia is that it becomes the focal point of the outfit not the cream dress which is quite bridal particularly in a 60's kind of way, if it were teamed with small white gloves and pillbox hat with veil.

You could style your dress as a guest up with white gloves though, provided sash/handbag/hat/shoes are all punchy enough. Would look tres chic and really different if you can carry it off smile

thumbwitch Sat 04-Jul-09 21:57:51

would have tried to help but your linked page has gone.

Second the bright colour accessories though, as I suggested above.

shhhh Sun 05-Jul-09 00:44:38

westernbelle,can't see how a guest wearing white/cream can detract from the bride hmm.

As I said before, the wedding I attended saw a few wearing cream, I never felt anyone think "hmm" and in pictures (which we took some..group girls pics etc) its very eay to tell who is the bride..

Its a colour...imo, being miffed at someone wearing cream is like asking guests to wear co'ordinating clothing..ie Black&white etc

WesternBelle Sun 05-Jul-09 20:49:03

We differ there then shhh because IMO, out of all the colours and patterns you could possibly choose as a wedding guest, why choose the ONE tone ie white which is 99% likely the same colour that the bride will be wearing?

Why not let the bride be the only one in a cream dress?

What if EVERY female guest at a wedding was wearing a cream dress, (which if everyone tacted like you do would be a distinct possibility). Don't you think it might be a bit harder to tell who the bride was then? hmm

What if you friend the bride had chosen a shorter rather than a traditional cream dress (like one of my friends did? ) If I was a bride and most of my female friends turned up wearing cream dresses I would definitely be miffed, and I would be very surprised if your mate the bride wasn't too.

shhhh Sun 05-Jul-09 20:59:21

I wouldn't have been bothered if any guests wore cream to my wedding. In fact I have no idea what the guests wore..

It was my wedding and was all about me and (now) dh sealing our relationship. Whoever came was a bonus and I really didn't have any issues over dress.

Ever wondered: what if the guest could only find a cream dress that suited them or they liked..?

I can find wedding outfit shopping a nighmare as you never know what the weather will be, needs to be something comfortable as worn all day etc...I found the dress I wore in my 1st shopping trip and was amazed. Gave me time to "dress" the outfit up.

Surley the fact I was there as a friends mattered more than what I wore..?

WesternBelle Sun 05-Jul-09 22:30:18

I agree, wedding outfit shopping is definitely a nightmare! and the weather doesn't help either.

I just automatically rule out any cream/white/ivory dresses when I'm looking so I can't be tempted!

Any other occasion a cream dress is FINE but as you can't know in advance if the bride will be bothered by it or not I would rather err on the side of caution and not put her to the test. Some brides are stressed by little details like that and I wouldn't want to cause even the smallest sad moment for a bride.

At my wedding I don't remember anyone wearing a cream dress, no it wouldn't have bothered me but I would have noticed and considered it a bit thoughtless.

Plus white/cream is so angelic and fresh, it is always a head turner especially in a pretty dress, even if it's just broderie anglaise rather than satin and silk. So it's still not how wedding-y or sparkly the dress is or not, the colour cream just sort of gatecrashing the bride's arena.

It's the same as wearing a tiara to a wedding IMO. Bride's territory, ie people back off!

IMHO smile

shhhh Sun 05-Jul-09 22:32:13

I agree with the tiara bit grin OTT imo and the brides wear only...

thumbwitch Sun 05-Jul-09 22:35:00

I have an Indian friend who used to wear saris to weddings and posh functions - it was the only time she wore them in the UK - and one of her "friends" was really angry that she wore a lovely sari, because she felt upstaged by it. The sari wasn't even white/cream (funeral colours) but because it had lots of gold thread and was bright and bold, the bride (not Indian) was well pissed off.

So - yes, it matters to some brides and that ought to be taken into considerations, regardless of how you personally felt about it at your own wedding. I agree, I couldn't have given a toss if someone was wearing white/cream at mine, there was no way it was going to out-do my dress - but I'd never wear it to someone else's wedding, just in case.

WesternBelle Sun 05-Jul-09 22:39:17

yes, tiara on wedding guest definitely bad form! (have seen it though) smile

isitreallythattime Mon 06-Jul-09 20:11:29

OK. So i have detached the bow and thought that i would go and look in a fabric shop for some suitable colours in a similar fabric to place under the bust. Have found pair of shoes which are cream/orange and brown, so all set.... x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now