What super gorgeous expensive product have you splashed out on, only to find it's a total disappointment?

(98 Posts)
RumourOfAHurricane Tue 09-Jun-09 19:10:47

I bought a tube of Dermalogica gentle exfoliator cream. You simply smooth on a layer and wash off after 10 minutes. It cost an eye watering £27.50 for a 30ml tube.

Used it 2 nights ago. Well, I don't know about the 'gentle' bit but my face feels itchy, tight and looks like I have been sunburnt. On anti histamines to try and reduce the reaction I've obviously had to the damn stuff.

So..got me thinking. Anything you have bought that has been such a let down when you were really looking forward to using it?

PS It's free to anyone mad enough to want it!

MayorNaze Tue 09-Jun-09 19:12:32

elizabeth arden 8 hour cream

el greaso on me

fabbo for dds napy rash grin

RumourOfAHurricane Tue 09-Jun-09 19:14:02

Oh yes, had some of that too ( major product junkie).

Over hyped for sure.

bohemianbint Tue 09-Jun-09 19:15:49

Ooh, I was going to say 8 hour cream too. I barely know what to do with it, it's just like smelly vaseline.

Unicornvomit Tue 09-Jun-09 19:16:23

chanel mascara - really excellent until it dried up after about a week

clinique 3 step system, no improvement to my skin.. have had better results with neutrogena

send your product back to dermalogica, i did this with a chanel lip palette, cost £28 and it made my lips itch and swell. got an apology and could choose a prodcut up to the same value, so got Cristalle perfume instead.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Tue 09-Jun-09 19:16:42

Clarins beauty flash balm. It brings me out in spots.

A clarins face serum aswell which didn't make my skin any different. No7 protect and perfect is as good and half the price.

Unicornvomit Tue 09-Jun-09 19:17:01

i loved 8 hour cream but too mean to buy it now!!

my sister was disappointed with creme de la mer moisturiser, IIRC

smurfgirl Tue 09-Jun-09 19:17:29

Not sure if it counts but I lusted after a Ted Baker purse for ages and finally splashed out. And it broke after a week. Gutted.

BitOfFun Tue 09-Jun-09 19:17:52

Well I suppose there was the treadmill I hired for four months or so at £80 a month but only used three times (and boasted about on here each time, as I recall blush)....but that was my own fault really < ashamed >

RumourOfAHurricane Tue 09-Jun-09 19:18:28

UNICORN- Never thought of that. Great idea. Shall package the fecking thing up tonight.

RumourOfAHurricane Tue 09-Jun-09 19:19:57

£80 A MONTH?!?!

Was it gold plated?

Hi BOF << WAVES >>

Was gonna text you ' hello ' today but then for some reason I forgot.

JohnnyTwoHats Tue 09-Jun-09 19:21:09

Clarins Beauty Flash Balm.

Overrated IMHO.

brimfull Tue 09-Jun-09 19:21:21

YSL waterproof cream eyeshadow , new product .. was going to change my life bla bla bla

made my eyelids look like crepe paper

am actually thinking of trying to return it..as have only used a infinitessimal amount and still have receipt???

MayorNaze Tue 09-Jun-09 19:22:15

did youy know there is benetint freebie mascara in glamour mag this month? don't spose that counts but i will be trying that tomorrow and will be disappointed if it is less than excellent...grin

I once spent lots of money on a Sisley face cream, but was unimpressed

BitOfFun Tue 09-Jun-09 19:22:24

blushgrin

Touche Eclat. Could never get it to blend in and it always highlighted what I was trying to conceal. And it went off too.

Rimmel cheap concealer much better.

(And I should know as I have plenty of acne to cover up sad angry)

AbricotsSecs Tue 09-Jun-09 19:24:10

Agree - eight hour cream v expensive nice-smelling Vaseline

Unicornvomit Tue 09-Jun-09 19:26:47

BIWI< i have bought new skin stuff and skin is much improved:

neutrogena : an oil free face wash, and a face wash/mask in one. also their blackhead eliminating cleanser and have been using a tea tree stick on spots day and night. have seen a massive improvement in my skin. stopped using cleansing wipes too.

<<mayor, tis me, lulu!>>

sorry for hijack

AbricotsSecs Tue 09-Jun-09 19:26:47

Ooh yes I've had two touche éclats go off on me (even religiously keeping applicator clean) and it makes my undereye area scaly... Nice

MayorNaze Tue 09-Jun-09 19:31:36

nice name lulu...hmmgrin

obv i have missed some bizarre joke (i hope!)...

am thinking of other money spinners...

mrsboogie Tue 09-Jun-09 19:32:57

touche éclat - pile o' shite

MayorNaze Tue 09-Jun-09 19:33:36

btw my skin is also shitey mcshiterson at the mo - am at a loss as am eating loads of fruit and veg and drinking so much i practically live in the loo..

i was lurving the oil cleansing method but can only do it every 4 days or so or i get all dry and peely

anyway...more expensive stuff...hmm...(gosh am a cheapskate really blush)

NanBullen Tue 09-Jun-09 19:33:58

deffo the 8 hour cream, it's just greasy! and that boots no 7 stuff that everyone was raving on about, protect and perfect. what exactly is it supposed to do?!

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 09-Jun-09 19:36:18

Molton Brown soap and hand lotion at fifteen bloody pounds per bottle. Atrixo and tesco soap are just as good.

I only bought it for the bottles to look poncesome in my bathroom.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now